free hit
counters
Gearbox issues # 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi guys

Might need some help!

Ive now got my gearbox cooler fitted to my V6 Cup & it was better last night at Donington than previously no doubt. 

But I still have a problem changing gear under cornering loads. It struggles on Track & when hot to change up to 4th from 3rd & 5th from 4th when loaded up going around a corner ( trying to select 4th from 3rd after leaving Redgate & heading around Hollywood for example - it just won't go in )

Its rather spoiling my experience now as I bought the car to do a few  Trackdays with. 

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the term Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to thier level, then beat you with experience. Is apt for that situation Two wrongs don't make a right and all that

If you read the posts on the playground from a chap called Blinky, he will say that 1G is the limit on the gearbox actually working. If you are getting up near then the box will become balky. Apparently. Can't say I've noticed it. Shouldn't really change gear through a corner anyway with those sorts of loads, it's going to properly unsettle the rear. 

Thanks Will

Its not a big corner as such - more of a gentle sweep & it's where you'd have to change gear for the next part of the circuit. The car wouldn't be under heavy loads at this point. 

Where is the playground??

The "Playground" is a derogatory name for S-E-L-O-C (without the dashes) - the South East Lotus Owners Club...

In fact, any attempt to use the club initials on this board will result in its automatic substitution with "the playground".  Authoring this reply wasn't easy... I gave up trying to list the URL - you'll just have to look it up for yourself :-)

Blame the site Admin's sense of fair play (Bibs... play nice!)

Edited by LotusPilot

They started it :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

4 hours ago, Bibs said:

They started it :)

I think the term

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to thier level, then beat you with experience.

Is apt for that situation

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that

7 hours ago, Gashead1105 said:

If you read the posts on the playground from a chap called Blinky, he will say that 1G is the limit on the gearbox actually working. If you are getting up near then the box will become balky. Apparently. Can't say I've noticed it. Shouldn't really change gear through a corner anyway with those sorts of loads, it's going to properly unsettle the rear. 

Don't believe everything you read!!!!!!

Doing'hour long stints on track will test any road base car.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Don't know why you'd want to go on the playground anyway as most of the posts seem to be about Porsches or from Porsche owners with a healthy smattering of Audi, BMW and Merc obsessives.

I'd call it the cabbage patch rather than the playground.  :devil:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

I think the term

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to thier level, then beat you with experience.

Out of interest Dave - can you change up from 3rd to 4th when on the gas going round Hollywood at Donny?

Im trying to get an idea of the step up with the later platform cars

Cheers

9 hours ago, C1RVY said:

Out of interest Dave - can you change up from 3rd to 4th when on the gas going round Hollywood at Donny?

Im trying to get an idea of the step up with the later platform cars

Cheers

Never had an issue no being able to select a gear. I short shift there anyway as the car is more settled. Now with the TV's I can short shift everywhere and still make good progress.

Did you get your loose change mechanism sorted? What was tightened/ replaced.

Did they do anything with the clutch????

12 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

I think the term

Well yes, but that seems pretty obvious to me. I do 20 min sessions at most, it's not a problem. 

@C1RVY. Ah, understood. Sounds similar to turn 4 at Bedford. I dont have a problem there but as per Dave I generally short shift. 

2 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Never had an issue no being able to select a gear. I short shift there anyway as the car is more settled. Now with the TV's I can short shift everywhere and still make good progress.

Did you get your loose change mechanism sorted? What was tightened/ replaced.

Did they do anything with the clutch????

Hi Dave - clutch master cylinder replaced, oil cooler fitted, but loose change mechanism still there. 

Currently waiting for a call back from Hethel to see if they can add any detail from the original build that may help. I'm hoping it may have had a batch of spaghetti cables fitted by mistake!!!