free hit
counters
Replacing oil pressure switch - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jcbjs 260

Replacing oil pressure switch

Hi, has anyone replaced the oil pressure switch on a v8. Normally this is a five minute precedure on most engines but I can just about see it never mind fit a socket onto it. Please could someone foward the precedure for replacing this item. Many thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is it definitely the oil pressure switch that has failed?

A while back I had a problem where the light would come on periodically while driving. But it turned out the wire to the switch wasn't secured tightly to the chassis - it was rubbing against it as the engine vibrated. Over the years it had rubbed right though the wire insulation and was grounding against the chassis periodically.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

A while back I had a problem where the light would come on periodically while driving. But it turned out the wire to the switch wasn't secured tightly to the chassis - it was rubbing against it as the engine vibrated. Over the years it had rubbed right though the wire insulation and was grounding against the chassis periodically.

Thanks for the reply Neal, the switch is leaking oil anyway so will have to be changed.

Hi, has anyone replaced the oil pressure switch on a v8. Normally this is a five minute precedure on most engines but I can just about see it never mind fit a socket onto it. Please could someone foward the precedure for replacing this item. Many thanks

Your right its a real pain to see...to the front of the Oil Filter housing...and with Engine Mounting there close up as well.

No need to disconnect Battery..the wire is a earth wire on the switch...my advise...remove Oil Filter...(have a spare handy) that should help...you also will have the Air Con Unit in the way as well.....You may have to remove the Oil Filter Housing..3 Bolts..no gasket..its on an O ring...replace that ok..its small and cheap....worst choice remove the Engine Mount on the Block to Chassis...you could rest the engine weight on the Alloy sump ok...with wood etc..akle stand.....I'm assuming the car is sitting on Akle stands under the jacking points..as you can lift car from under the Roll Hoop of the Chassis...take care the jack is safe while lifting..I made a saddle to fit my trolley jack...I have my Engine out at the Moment...been into V8's Lotus cars since 1989 yes 89...Elite V8 1st...see LEW owners page...cheers Rob

Hi Neil it was you with Rob E did the top end run 179 mph...thinks weve met...be interested on your feed back about that day in detail...plan one day to blow that lambo right out of the Water..till it drowns...with 500 plus ###....mail me ok...Rob

[email protected] or 07976 609881

Had exactly this problem recently. Had a new one fitted at Paul Mattey, and tey didn't know how to do it easily. In the end the chap actually made up a bepoke tool to hold the oil pressure switch on a long arm to locate and screw in. No way you could do it otherwise without removing the engine and a lot of ancilliary bits. I was starting to use a bit of oil with the leak (however when you think about it, it is only a thimblefull on the garage floor, but still worrying). If you are near to PM then take it in there. They have the tool now so should be a quick job for them!

Phil B

Edited by Phil_B