free hit
counters
Poll - problems with seats - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Poll - problems with seats  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's really difficult for them not to know. I have my third Elise/Exige. All with the same problem. Different dealerships were fixing it under warranty. Someone had to pay for it - but fixes were of course not permanent.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe a fix for this may be available now, maybe even for the past few weeks. I will check on Monday and get back to you with what I find out. 

Got reply now! I let you know more soon, must run. But it seems like they are not aware of the problem, or at least wont admit it.

@MartynB I think your writeup describes the issue excellently. You might add that the long seatback actually amplifies the play and this is what you notice most when driving. I discarded the 3D-p

Posted Images

The mail basically says.

1. They take the issue very seriously (since I emphazised that it is a safety issue (which it is)), but they also say that the seats/rails meets safety regulations.

2. They say that there should always be some play (which is so wrong. I have never ever been in a car where the seat moves. I get really upset of this statement.).

3. They apologise and will do their best to help me. They seem to be very helpful. Which is good of course.

I will now tell them (again) that basically all owners have the same problem. And that Lotus must be very aware of it since so many owners have complained and also have had their runners changed.

Edited by PeterSweden
  • Thanks 1

It's like following an advice of "when in danger, fall down and pretend to be dead"... :ermm: If it is actually a safety matter, perhaps also parallel submission to the relevant regulatory authorities would spark some interest?

I can't comment first hand on my side, as I am only going to collect the car on 01/09. It would be somewhat upsetting to discover that such a basic thing as a reliable mounting of the seat was not managed adequately over the last 3+ years.

@The Pits I suspect when you are harnessed in there is no movement under braking so the problem does not occur. With an inertia reel your body moves around a lot more. I suspect this is why it's not seen on Cups. We suffered with the V6, in the Elise with the harnesses I can see how this happened (or not). 

• Thanks 1

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Guys! Let me know if you have some arguments / something that you would like me to answer in the reply. I can be the spokes person for this issue. 

Its at least good that their CEO cares and I got a fast reply.

Well my runners on my current car have been fine for 18 months and then bang they just failed.

My car is my daily driver, and now I can hear a clatter (I'm assuming the ball bearings?) every time I accelerate and brake. I now sit in the seat further back and it seems to lock in, however if I move it to my preferred position, it no longer locks in to position. It's booked in friday for them to take a look. Looks like another next set of rails.

Like I said, I've had them replaced on all three V6 Exige's I've owned. The worrying fact is that they seem to just fail when you least expect it. Yes, I daily my car, but it has only done 10,000km's in the last 12 months.

I am 180cm and the only way to get in and out is to push the seat back every time I get in and then pull it forward. Fixing it in place is not an option for me and for a car of this value.... yeah starting to really piss me off. for them to say they don't know about it is a complete lie as SSC in Sydney know, my dealer knows and they have returned 3 faulty sets over the past 3 years just from my cars!. 

Edited by Steve Banks

2015 Orange Exige V6

Peter, thanks for sharing your reply, which to me seems a bit vague. I would like you to make the case that Lotus should find a safe solution to this problem and recall all cars affected for the problem to be rectified by Lotus. 

That's just fine

I am currently mailing back an forth with Lotus. They seem very happy to help. I let you know. Volvo and Lotus, no safety. That does really sound bad in my ears.

But as I said. I trust Lotus that they will find some fix. Seems like really helpful and nice guys.

Peter,

Interesting that they are not aware of the problem, as Lotus have probably replaced lots of seat runners under warranty and this recurring pro that this is a reccuring problem. How about EVERYONE who has/had this issue email Mr Gales and Mr Turnrer? Then I'm pretty sure they would know there is a problem ..... Just a thought

Risk is basically the severity of the consequences vs the frequency, so even ONE seat coming loose/away on a small number of units, which may cause the driver to loose control is unacceptable. I'm pretty sure the IVA or whoever it is that certifies/type tests the worthiness of vehicles would fing the above statistic interesting. I believe this was also the case with Elsie Oil Cooler recall.

cheers

Mark

I call bullshit when they mention they are not aware of the problem. My last V6S went through 3 sets of runners under warranty.   The dealer and I were in contact with Lotus on the matter and the well rehearsed line re meeting safety standards was rolled out. Just as you experienced. 

I sent videos of the rocking seat to Lotus direct. I was promised this would be looked into, but got no response.  In the end I just bolted the runners to a fixed point which eliminated the rocking motion.

Lotus have been aware of the problem for years and done nothing about it,

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 30/07/2017 at 07:02, PeterSweden said:

DJW 

Do you remeber who you talked to at Lotus?

Sorry it was about 14 months ago so have lost emails.

. Lotus Silverstone would have a record as they were copied in on all emails. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mine have movement but In was told by my lotus dealer there was no point changing them as they go bad quickly again. This problem was the same on my VX220 (same runners) so you would have thought in 15 years they could have solved it, but then my VX also had an inflatable lumbar support (which I have now had to retrof to the Exige) and the seats were more comfortable on the older car.  They don't learn too fast do they.

Martin S

• Thanks 1

Mines in for new runners two weeks Monday, along with a few other bits and pieces. @MartynB  who posts on here has some good tips re the runners, so will check the new one that goes in.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Mine doesnt squeak but it rocks back and forth, moaned at Hofmann's and they sorted it so now it moves but ever so slightly - when i first picked it up it was laughable.

Shocking that in a car like this, the one thing you don't want to move when you brake/accelerate, does! 

• Haha 1

Due to my mail to Lotus CEO they sent my new runner which where ”carefully selectes by their engineers” and ”we have never heard any complaints regarding them”. Mine are worse now 1 month after fitting.

Most annyoing is that Lotus all the time stressed that there should always be some slack in the runners. Total bs. Havent even been in a Hyundai that has that problem.

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Better off keeping the esprit 

I think I'd bolt them down Barry.......not letting a rocky seat get in the way of the next dream car:thumbsup: