free hit
counters
Fouling plugs - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi there - some of you regulars may have bumped into "Linford" , my 1979 Eclat before

IMG_3663.thumb.JPG.5fb2837b376c93c9772969f43acbcc0f.JPG

Linford had quite a lot of work done at Lotusbits two years ago - didn't get used last year, and has just been out for a couple of inaugural runs this year.

He's running well at motorway speeds, pulls well and without hesitation. There is a quite significant flat spot on a light throttle but that disappears if you give it some welly - but I digress.

He seems to be fouling his plugs at low speed, so whilst he ran well for 95% on a 60 mile run, he was running on 3 as i did the last mile to home. If I take the plugs out and clean them, I'm sure he'll be OK for another run but how can I stop it happening? Whilst I used to do a lot of work on cars when I was a kid, I never did get the hang of carbs and I'm too old to start now. On that subject, can anyone recommend someone in the Chester/North Wales area who knows their onions with carbs? I did have a recommendation in the area (which I won't name) but he pissed me off by telling me someone had fitted "hooligan jets" which were "never going to work". Well, Linford might not have been running well at the time, but I've owned this car for 32 years and those jets were fitted by Vegantune as part of a 200bhp engine in 1985 and they worked perfectly well for decades, thank you very much.

Hope you can help

Ciao

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Tim, I'm afraid i can't offer any words of wisom regarding your problem, but can I just say, that car looks very nice.  I have never been a great fan of black but it suits the Eclat very well, brings out the chrome.  Great colour combination with the light interior too, subtle but eye catching.

:thumbup:

Roland

Much appreciated Roland - you've made my day :)

I'm with Roland on this, looks lovely - needs to be used more - my guess would be that this is part of the problem.

I've owned my Esprit for 30 years and posted a history thread about my ownership.

Look forward to reading your :thumbsup:

Thanks Chris - of course you are right - the most reliable time it ever had was when it was my only car and was used every day.

Yours looks beautiful, although I don't fancy cleaning those wheels - mine are much more straightforward :-)

Tim, been having a think about your fouling problem. What type of fouling is it? 

Dry, i.e carbon build up, overly rich set up

Wet, oily looking, poss oil leeching past piston rings

Wet, fuel, too much. poss carb setting

and it is only effecting one cylnder? When you clean them are they all showing similar fouling but to a lesser degree?

Hi again Roland - thanks for coming back to me - your input is much appreciated

wet, worst on cylinder 3 - I have wondered about worn rings on that cylinder but this trait is relatively new - don't THINK it's oil and it wasn't happening the last long run 2 years ago and its only done a few hundred miles since, so if the rings weren't worn then, are they now?

My current thoughts (possibly clutching at the least worst option) is some carb setting not being right at low speeds (but I can't then explain why it doesn't affect more than one cylinder)

do either  a sniff test or get some wetness between your fingers to determine if it is fuel or oil. if oil it could also be symptomatic of a possible compromised head gasket as well.  If it's fuel then you could be right about a carb issue.

Figuring out what the wetness is should point you in the right direction as to what might be going on.

I'll do that Roland - thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping it's not a head gasket because the temperature is very stable and there doesn't appear to be any coolant in the oil I changed but I just googled other symptoms of a failed CHG and noted that a fail between cylinders wouldn't exhibit either of these (what I had thought to be classic) traits. Bugger.

I've just read about testing coolant for C02 which looks interesting but (as ever) is not definitive. 

I suppose no-one ever said owning a car close to 40 years old would be simple

I'll keep you posted

Cheers

No loss in coolant, plugs wet with fuel rather than oily deposit. Pretty sure it's carburation. May have sticky jet or one that's varnished up a bit which could well be due to low miles over the last few years.

Tim, a quick compression test might be the easiest way to determine head gasket failure - even if it is between cylinders - you may get a lower reading on the 2 affected bores?

Just an idea? Have you changed the spark plugs around - ie, if it is only 1 plug that is getting fouled - is it plug specific or bore specific.

These 'bugs' can be a ball ache but it is just a case of changing 1 factor at a time to see what changes....even if it is bore specific, consider a failing HT lead as well - you say it is running on 3 sporadically, it could be the first sign of something less sinister than your worst fears. Have you checked the dizzy cap for build up on the specific cylinders contact?

Sorry if these 'simple' things have been done but checking anything dizzy related isn't straightforward on these cars :)

Good luck

Ant