free hit
counters
Should I have 16" Rears? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looking at my tyres today, which unfortunately all need to be replaced due to cracking, and discovered that my model (1989 Esprit Turbo) was not meant to come with different sized wheels. Is this correct?

My car has 15" front and 16" rear, which from reading various sources was only standard on SE models. The build date on my car is Dec 1988.

I've been offered a set of rear 15's, but to be honest, I really like the staggered look. 

Any inherent disadvantaged to me keeping this set up if it wasn't factory? 

Finally, the only full set to accommodate the 245/50/16 of the rear is the Kumho Ecsta. Any other recommendations I should look into?

Cheers,

Sean

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Eagle chassis had a larger front sway bar, also had a pro-dive and pro-squat geometry.    

The 16" Oz wheels were standard on later Esprit Turbo's with the Eagle chassis, so the 1990/91 Esprit's.

IIRC the eagle chassis was designed with the Turbo SE. It used the Goodyear Eagle tires (15" front, 16" rear), hence the name. Not sure what otter differences there are, the workshop manual only menti

12 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

The 16" Oz wheels were standard on later Esprit Turbo's with the Eagle chassis, so the 1990/91 Esprit's.

Lotus_Esprit_Stevens_Red.jpg

Mark,  what exactly was the eagle chassis and what is the  difference between that chassis and the slightly earler stevens esprits ?

A

• Gold FFM

IIRC the eagle chassis was designed with the Turbo SE. It used the Goodyear Eagle tires (15" front, 16" rear), hence the name. Not sure what otter differences there are, the workshop manual only mentions revised geometry and different wheels. From May '89 on, all Esprits got the eagle chassis.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Ah,  I see i never twigged it had to do with the tyres !   I always though it was acompletely different chassis design with major modifactions to chassis structure/tube size etc :)   

A

Thanks guys. From what I can tell it's also when they changed the rear glass.

Have found BF Goodrich Comp-2 make a full set. A little pricey here in Australia though.

Anything else come to mind?

There were structural mods to the bodyshell as well. For example when I look in my front compartment, there are two strenghening "walls", one on each side of the spare wheel, which my friends 88' does not have.

It appears that the brake master cylinder vacuum booster was also set up on a stronger less flexible bracket, that also supports the clutch. Again something that my 1990 SE have, not on the 88' car.

The next thing I am not sure about. On the front transverse, the bar that the front suspension etc. are bolted to, are two welded in strenghening bars, one each side. Haven't seen them on the 88' car, but then again I have not looked for it.

On later still cars, like the later version of the SE/S4/S4s and Sport300, because of the servo, those are not welded in, but detatchable.

On later S4/S4s and some v8, afaik the front anti roll bar were thinner Again. Only late v8's got the SE type stiffer and thicker bar.

On the 88' I mentioned in the above, the tailgate, glass, wing and Wheels are exactly th same as on my 1990 SE. It was sold in Denmark, and got this from new. Since it's a 88' car, it may have been at the dealership for a while, and then the dealership had those things done for the customer.

Of course I may be wrong on all of this, but it is at least some small things I have observed.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Hi Jacques,

I couldn't do 15" front and rear and I agree the staggered look is much more appealing.  I've seen 17" front and rears and that looks okay, but 15" is too small to do that IMO.

I have Firestone Firehawks  Oval Indy 15 f and 16 r right now, but will probably go to Kumho's providing I can get a matching set when these are spent.  I wish they made Michelin Pilots in these sizes, but it's simply not meant to be.  My only cars with Michelins are my Outback and CrossTrek.  Alright, my CrossTrek will have Michelins in another 28k.

Of course the Firestone tyres might not be available your area, so Kumho's might be one and they are a great value.

Bill

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.