free hit
counters
Speccing a 250 Cup - Page 3 - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Speccing a 250 Cup

Neal H

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've always liked the idea of a black and gold Lotus.  But I really like gulf blue too!

in terms of actual spec, I know what I want..

carbon aero package 

carbon roof

carbon sills

harness bar and harnesses

towing eyes front and rear

air con

qr steering wheel

2 piece brakes

(not sure about getting a radio - maybe, maybe not?). Like the idea of being able to have a hands free call.

So just need to think about the colour now - maybe Nardo Grey would be a good shout?

Honestly, the colour choice is the hardest bit!

• Like 1

Choosing the colour IS the hardest part when placing a factory order!

I started out thinking grey or black, and I still think both would look fantastic on a Cup - it would blend in really well with the aero parts. Following a factory visit I was really taken with Essex Blue (my father really liked the Gulf Blue, but I wasn't so keen), but in the end thought Motorsport Green as I really liked the Racing Green on my Evora.

Colour is a very personal thing, so only you can decide :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neal H said:

Choosing the colour IS the hardest part when placing a factory order!

I started out thinking grey or black, and I still think both would look fantastic on a Cup - it would blend in really well with the aero parts. Following a factory visit I was really taken with Essex Blue (my father really liked the Gulf Blue, but I wasn't so keen), but in the end thought Motorsport Green as I really liked the Racing Green on my Evora.

Colour is a very personal thing, so only you can decide :)

I know - I'll need to make the final decision, but it's such a tough choice.  Nardo would be interesting, Gulf blue kind of cool (looks good with the Union Jack end plates) and Motorsport Black with gold and red (very nice indeed).

4 hours ago, J-P said:

I know - I'll need to make the final decision, but it's such a tough choice.  Nardo would be interesting, Gulf blue kind of cool (looks good with the Union Jack end plates) and Motorsport Black with gold and red (very nice indeed).

Are there any difference between motorsport black and the metallic black? Thx

The flake in Motorsport Black is gold, it's silver in metallic.

This is Motorsport Black on an Evora 410... The gold shows up in bright sunlight, in other weather is appears mainly just black. It's a lovely colour. 

20170610_143911.jpg

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Na. You can really see the gold when the sun shines, well worth it. That said in two years of LF1 ownership I think the planets aligned once when the car was both clean and the sun was out. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

11 hours ago, lovus said:

I have one more noob question. :) (Sorry, I'm going to order one soon) 

What are the weights of the following?

1. Soft top

2. Hard top (plastic or whatever as standard)

3. Hard top (carbon fiber)

I don't know the weights, but the soft top is standard and the hard tops a cost option.

Just go with the soft top and you can take it off when the rain stops. No top is definitely the lightest option :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neal H said:

I don't know the weights, but the soft top is standard and the hard tops a cost option.

Just go with the soft top and you can take it off when the rain stops. No top is definitely the lightest option :)

Thanks. My local track won't allow cars without the top on track.

So, let's simplify the question then. Which one will be lighter? Soft or hard plastic? (If hard plastic is lighter I will buy it later)

• 1 month later...
On 08.09.2017 at 20:40, lovus said:

Thanks. My local track won't allow cars without the top on track.

So, let's simplify the question then. Which one will be lighter? Soft or hard plastic? (If hard plastic is lighter I will buy it later)

No one knows which one is lighter? Soft top or hard top?

I can tell you the hard top on my 2006 car was heavy. A figure of 12kg comes to mind, sounds about right. They may use lighter panels now for all I know. The Evora plastic roof is very thin and light, you can flex it. The Elise roof was solid. Soft top I’d guess is no more than 5kg. This is from years of putting it on and taking it off. I’d expect a carbon roof to be well under 10kg but again it depends on the contsruction. 

I'll see if I can find some actual numbers somewhere.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Pits said:

I can tell you the hard top on my 2006 car was heavy. A figure of 12kg comes to mind, sounds about right. They may use lighter panels now for all I know. The Evora plastic roof is very thin and light, you can flex it. The Elise roof was solid. Soft top I’d guess is no more than 5kg. This is from years of putting it on and taking it off. I’d expect a carbon roof to be well under 10kg but again it depends on the contsruction. 

I'll see if I can find some actual numbers somewhere.

Wow, that's interesting info! Thanks.

I've never guessed so much weight difference. Also I thought carbon roof would be lighter than soft top. 

Soft top might weigh a bit more all up, the canvas part weighs nothing but the side bars might weigh around 3kg each would be my guesstimate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Pits said:

Soft top might weigh a bit more all up, the canvas part weighs nothing but the side bars might weigh around 3kg each would be my guesstimate.

Here is the reason why I thought carbon fiber roof is lighter than soft top:

The list below shows how much weight is saved when those options are ticked over the standard. Since soft top is the standard, I think carbon fiber roof should be 3kg lighter than soft top :)

Here’s how owners can cut another 24kg from the Lotus Elise Cup 250:
Carbon Aero Pack of splitter, rear wing and side boards (minus 3.7kg) – £3,400
Carbon fibre access panel (minus 1.1kg) – £900
Carbon fibre roll-hoop cover (minus 0.7kg) – £1,000
Carbon fibre tailgate (minus 3.3kg) – £1,600
Carbon fibre hardtop (minus 3kg) – £3,000
Carbon fibre sill covers (minus 0.8kg) – £1,200
Carbon fibre dash inserts (minus 0.3kg) – £1,400
Carbon fibre HVAC surround (minus 0.1kg) – £400
Titanium exhaust (minus 7kg) – £4,000
Two-piece brake discs (minus 4kg) – £1,500

source: http://www.edp24.co.uk/motoring/lighter-livelier-lotus-elise-real-cup-winner-1-5114959

Edited by lovus
  • Like 1