free hit
counters
Stainless tailgate hinges - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Ok thats certainley enough people LEts get a set made for Barry. Please PM me if you have a loaner set of hinges. I will get a sheet of stainless and a sheet of titanium to play with ordered tonight. God help my poor wife. I havent been on in a while due to a massive HVAC project that is eating up our bedroom .... :sofa:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do have an spare pair of hinges that aren’t rusty. Pm me your address and I can lend them to you, to get the project going. They do have to be fairly precise, but I don’t think they have to be

Robert, I've tried fabricating 1.5mm brackets from titanium before (the hinges are 3mm thick). Laser cutting works well but I thought I'd get away without heating them and bending on a brakepress, but

Posted Images

Well I am going to try o get them made well but as cheap as possible. I still have not ordered stainless. I will order a sheet of titanium after I get paid. But supplier is chinese... Takes a month to get to japan.... Why? I thi k the guy rides a pedal bike to the nearest Japanese shore over the ocean.... Currently elbow deep in a new door pannel.

Robert, I've tried fabricating 1.5mm brackets from titanium before (the hinges are 3mm thick). Laser cutting works well but I thought I'd get away without heating them and bending on a brakepress, but they just snapped. Bear this in mind as it will be trial and error to get these right. The weight and strength difference was significant though (better in titanium), just commercially, wasn't for me.

• Like 1

I really want to know the list on the originals I dont want to ask to much but I dont want to get hosed either. I am going to try to go with 2 mil grade 1 titanium. I have to buy all the stuff to do the titanium stuff so probably not until all the christmass crap is over. The sheets are looking like 100USD a pop... thats just the metal. I am looking for ball bearings skinny enough or a decent enough bushing. The idea is it being a forever part not something that gets wallowed out. I know the deal with heating the titanium.

Also a bit of news I am fabbing some door skins for mine ect ect so I been busy and I broke a bone in my foot at work today. Still have not ordered stainless for the first set and it was supposed to happen three days ago. Someone please get me an original price. I will be prototyping a set then I will know what to charge. Itll be cheap hopefully I am crossing my fingers but I want to beat the list price for oem if I can. The reason I cant get a list is England is quite long distace and in japan its next to impossible. I will look now online but I have been having trouble locating them...

Looking at the parts list for the 88 on Esprit, there are variations on the design depending on the vin number. Typically the price for the later one is 41GBP.

:) 

It's getting there......

I think they're about £80 a set, from memory. I could be wrong though.

I have a spare set of not too rusty ones you can borrow to copy if you like? PM me your address and I'll fire them over.

I'm certainly up for a set!

They need to be quite sturdy so the tailgate doesn't wobble around. Is 2mm going to be thick enough? I think they're sort of double layered in the middle aren't they?

Anyway, I'll send this set over once I have your address. 

Further to TAR's post (as I was writing!!) My car is an 88, but the spare set I have is off an S4 or a V8, and they look identical to mine.

In fact, I have a V8 tailgate on my 88 car, using the original hinges, and had no issues with fitment.

If there are differences between VINs, they're probably negligible. Certainly from what I've seen anyway.

Edited by Glyn Harper

Hey Guys. Since there is a lot of interest yall dont mind waiting till after christmass do you? Ill buy a proper brake. I was going to hand bend them which is fine for a small batch but repeatability is an issue. but with so many people wanting them I can shell out for a brake. Stainless if I dont do anything special for the hinge most likely I can meat or beat OEM. Especially since the JPY is much lower then the euro and pound at the moment. I will be attempting a hand bent set on my 1990 as a prototype but I wont be shipping anything hand made since there is so much interest. I would rather do them in a brake. I need the brake for my hobby anywho. Again an issue is drilling the brackets but I can drill them I just would rather you guys who have a drill press do your own but that will be up to the individual. Supplier is looking like china not that steel as of late has been coming out of anywhere decent. If anyone knows a good german supplier I would much rather use that stuff. But its all dollar per dollar or euro per euro.

Also furthermore I dont live in hongkong... I live in Japan. Dunno how the profile got that way. :D

Anyways guys this will happen and dont feel bad to poke me with a PM if you want your set sooner.

EDIT: Forgot I to mention I am shooting to use 2 mil but well see once I get it prototyped how it fits.

Someone get me a few photos of their brackets off the car. I want to confirm a few things.

Edited by Roberto Esprit
Tired and no memory....and

Well its 3:10 AM and I finally stumbled across a closed Ebay listing for the hinges which had the pictures I needed. I just need to figure out the pivots. I said I was going to order metal earlier but I got set back so on my payday at the end of the week you can bet your A** I'll be ordering metal.

Again if anyone knows a reputable supplier that isnt asking for insane ammounts for metal let me know.

For information, the change was...

from VIN 82/85 D 3662 | 82/85 1164 | 82 5620 | F 2985 (pivot point raised 3mm in hinge blades and pivot brackets)

It's getting there......

I think you misunderstood my post. The info is for VIN numbers not model years. 82 means Esprit Turbo, 85 is N/A Esprit.

It's getting there......

Yeah I did. Are they different on oler models.

Btw so heres how I am going to play this. I dont have any machines so its all hand done. I really want to give the best pivot point available. I think a small break and some map gas will be all I need to fab them up. I been looking at fabbing up titanium parts for a long time but I will get my licks in on stainless hinges as a mistake is cheaper also stainless requires no torch. I'll have you guys do paypal through my wife AFTER SOMEONE TESTS THEM FOR A MONTH. That set will be FREE barring shipping. After Ill see how long it takes me to do a set. If it does not take long they will be cheaper than stock. If it takes hours per set itll be a few euro over but not much. 60-120 Euro. Then shipping is of course extra but honestly shouldnt be over 20$ with insurance. Ill proabably youtube the first set of brackets so you guys will be able to see it. I am a teacher by day so I have no interest in this as a business but! I would like to see titanium and stainless avaliable as thats what a supercar should have come with. I think I will be using moly stainless. If you have a premature failure aka within 3 years I will warranty it. It would piss me off if one of my hinges broke and I would go straight for the steel maker because they should be lifetime. The only reason I say three years is because you never know what can happen on the consumer end. If that sounds good let me know. I also no longer need the hinges as I saw what I needed and can match up with mine. Also the price is for THIS FORUM. This is not a world wide price. Ill charge  minimum 100 Euro a set to non members. Forgot to mention that yes upfront after they are made. Aka I don't want your money until I can send the set out.

As soon as I get a hinge figured a brake made and the steel I will make a set.

Also I will cold work stainless parts for stregnth.

BTW: Miguel thanks man! I said earlier but cant remember where. I am shooting to use 2 mil thick.

P.S. I am sorry for sitting on my hands so long. I been busy strippigng the audi for the yard along with I really thought only three people were gonna want a set my self included.

Are you going to put the correct holes and slots in though? Half the battle is getting them made up nicely to fit like OEM ones. I have a drill press but I don’t really want to have to drill all the holes myself. I think most people would prefer parts that are completed and ready to fit when they arrive.

Also, look at the existing design. It’s not just just a bent piece of steel. It has a reinforcing section where the bends are so it is not that simple.

If you can make them look and function as good as or better than OEM, but In Stainless steel, they would be very popular.

Thanks BTW. Dont hold your breath guys. I still need to buy a brake and its holiday. I will make them. Again if anyone else wants to jump in be my guest. I have an intake doors and soon an ECM job that need to be done in my Esprit. It's all about money and time. I really need help sourcing a pivot point. I still have not found one that is to what I would like to use. I am trying to over engineer them. Also I don't have the drill press. It would all be hand cut that drives up the price and turnaround time. Ill ask my buddy if hes got one. I am pretty sure this batch of orders is just going to cover the cost of the parts and the brake. I hope. Ill be silent for a while. I almost got this damn Audi off my property and that will free up a bunch of time. The intake I am doing is just when I have time and when I get a brake and steel in hand I wont be working on it anymore. Again I stress about the pivots and the holes. I can make a jig and that might be the way to go but I ain't a machine shop. Like I said from the getgo I am going to do this if no one else is going to do it. I decided to poke the dragon on this but I really need the s*** to do it up nice. If it was three or four guys I was going to hand bend em use a wooden jig as it would have held up and chucked em to ya after I tested a set. But from what I count as around ten or so interested people I cant afford not to do it real nice not that the others wouldn't have worked and looked good but I have to make sure they are all the same. Also I said I didn't need em but I forgot how much I forget in a given day and could use photos of the bottom bracket and the pivot. 

Edit : I just wanted you to know I feel real bad I ain't got em started yet as one of you guys NEEDS a new set and I want to get it to you. You'll get em I hope you aren't in a hurry!

Edited by Roberto Esprit
  • 3 weeks later...

Well thanks.... But still I opened mine trap so I gotta move mine hand. I had a really unexpected series of events... One of them is a recently completed carbonfiber dash mask. I am still trying to find a good supplier for decent stainless and I have to get the time to weld up a mini brake. I might end up making a jig and just hand bending them I can see making more than 50 and if I did it would self fund for a proper brake.

But still having trouble sourcing what to use for a pivot. If any suggestions... Ahem low tech... please suggest them. :D