free hit
counters
Talk to me about 400 Autos please... - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Talk to me about 400 Autos please...

ewand

When I bought my Evora S I had been quite determined I'd have a manual. Tried both, and came away with an auto. I've been very happy with it and don't regret my decision in any way. I read that many were not happy with the IPS on the S1 Evora, but I think it should be remembered that Lotus was constantly refining the software of the gearbox. My car is a 2015 Evora S, LHD, Euro export model, and I have to say I've absolutely no complaints how it shifts at all. In Sport Manual, the shifts are quick and precise, both up and down. In Sport Auto, the box behaves very, very well. The more spirited the drive, the better it works. In normal Auto, the car is quiet and smooth, perfect for heavy traffic conditions .I've driven an early 400 auto, and frankly couldn't notice much difference at all in the auto gear box characteristics.  Also, the Sport Button, seems to make a much, much bigger difference in the Auto car than in the manual.  I'm still very happy with my car, but if and when I change it, I'll have another Auto.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am new here, my gearshift Evora 400 was dropped off last weekend. I spent about 6 weeks looking for the right car and talking to dealers all over the U.S.. They all wanted to sell me an automatic at a steep discount but when it came to manual cars (one dealer told me he wont ever stock an auto), the deals were harder to find. I have a 4C, and an i8, (and a lot of other cars), and had no interest in an auto. I finally found my car at Midwestern Auto (in Ohio) it was the only gearshift car they had. I think it is a personal choice not right or wrong answer, but for me there was only one way to own this car.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 05:27, Breeze said:

I've driven an early 400 auto, and frankly couldn't notice much difference at all in the auto gear box characteristics.  

I had a '13 S with the latest TCU firmware and my 400 auto (got in June this year) is very noticeably quicker at up-shifting. The dealer did make it sound like the 400 TCU had been upgraded since launch though. Not sure if downshifts are any different, the S was pretty good at downshifting. That being said I am not familiar with the '15, but I assume it used the same firmware as my '13.

Edited by Likuid

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (ON ORDER) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

Interesting - if the 400 TCU has been upgraded post-launch, is it something that could be applied to an older 400? ie. are we talking about a software upgrade or a replacement module, do you think? 

thanks

Ewan

When you take the car to your dealer next, they should upgrade all the software to the latest versions for you. 

• Thanks 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When I had some warranty work done on my 400 at around 6 months old, the SW was updated. Gearchange was much smoother afterwards. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 8/19/2017 at 06:45, mrbreeze said:

I am new here, my gearshift Evora 400 was dropped off last weekend. I spent about 6 weeks looking for the right car and talking to dealers all over the U.S.. They all wanted to sell me an automatic at a steep discount but when it came to manual cars (one dealer told me he wont ever stock an auto), the deals were harder to find. I have a 4C, and an i8, (and a lot of other cars), and had no interest in an auto. I finally found my car at Midwestern Auto (in Ohio) it was the only gearshift car they had. I think it is a personal choice not right or wrong answer, but for me there was only one way to own this car.

I test drove both the auto and the manual and decided in favor of the manual.  The auto was very, very nice, and fun to drive, but there were a few times during downshift when the computer wasn't exactly right, and this edged me to the manual, which I love anyway.  Years ago, I drove a BMW M3 with the DCT which was also very, very good but got confused occasionally and momentarily on downshifts and that slightly bothered me under fast cornering.  As far as the blips on downshift, no question that is awesome for the auto.  I like heel-toe downshifting and making the blips manually, so it winds up being a neutral factor for me. All that said, the (sad, if you're a purist like me) truth is that the paddle or button shifting is faster for a racetrack.  The guys with those setups (like x-trac) have a big advantage when we race on the track.  Since this isn't a competition race-car, I think ultimately it's a matter of what is going to be the most fun for an individual. I wound up just ordering a manual from Lotus rather than looking around.  It's finally done being built and should arrive in September!

How do you like the gearshift Evora 400?

Sky Blue Front View.JPG

Edited by BWex
more detail

On 23/08/2017 at 11:47, mrbreeze said:

I have only put about 100 miles on it, but I am very impressed. I am trying to be easy on it during the break in period (I usually do not do that and never had an issue), since dealers are further away than I am used to. 

... and Lotus may ask them to take a readout of the ECU on the first service, to make sure it's not been >4.5rpm during the running in period...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ewand said:

So I bit the bullet and picked up my first Evora today :D

Congrats! Was the t-shirt aimed at the wife :lol: 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.