free hit
counters
Camshaft question - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Charlie504

Camshaft question

Hello, my Elite engine came to me in bits and I'm not sure how to tell which camshaft is for the exhaust and which is the inlet... they are still fitted in the cam carriers but I can't see anything stamped on either one to say which is which. How can I tell?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The numbers are normally stamped as a ring around, near the section that is the bearing, nearest the pulley if that makes sense), for a 107 camshaft you'd find a ring of stamps  of "7". Not all types are stamped.

Does 1 of your carriers have a black "snubber" L shaped bracket bolted to it behind the cam pulley. If it has, then thats the Exhaust cam carrier.

If you cannot identify which by the camshafts (even if no numbers, then the grooves may help differentiate), and Michael's tip doesn't help, then look for an "I" of "E" , those stamps were used on later carriers but I cannot recall whether they were used on earlier saddle type.

Maybe not 100% reliable, but the inlet will be the clean one, exhaust will generally be black on the side adjacent to the ex manifold  (the carriers , not the cams!)       

Edited by 910Esprit

I'm not 100% sure but on the older 912 engines, weren't the camshafts and carriers the same parts for intake and exhaust?

1995 S4s

On no SE engines Cams are the same both inlet and exhaust (Type 107 I believe) on later SE engines the inlet is a type 104.

When modifying the engine to improve performance you can use a type 104 on the exhaust as well. Looking at the service notes the difference is the duration the valve is open and the lift - 107 Lift is 0.378 '' and for the 104 the lift is 0.410.