free hit
counters
F Y I: Re. MPS Cup 2 - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My pads are due tomorrow hopefully.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably worth noting that @Foxy got his info direct from Michelin, I'm sure that @rallyesax would know of the person as well.

We were in contact with @Foxy already about that issue. I never drove the Evora on PScup2 actually and Lotus did the test on their side not like for the PSS where they joined test on our site.

@Foxy Well, that's what we always did on tracks for testing and this is what works the best for those semi slicks. Higher, they overheat and destroy faster. I have done a demo few days before vac

Posted Images

I hope so :lol:

104 static and have two extra cans to use to bring it down a little more if needed.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats

@CocoPops Sorry for the slight digression but may I ask what you use to quieten the 400's exhaust? Also, where did you get them? 

All tips very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Greg

I have the mk1 2bular track back box.

104dB at 5k rpm vs 110dB for oem.

i also have two extra cans to use instead of tailpipes that should take another 2 off if needed.

Hi Folks,

Just became aware of this thread via Simon. I've been using Cup 2 since April last year for road and track. I'm on my 4th set now and think the tyres are great. However it has taken a fair bit of trial and error for me to get the car to work with them properly. Now i'm no Stig on track and the thought of putting the car into the barriers does hold me back but I don't take it that easy either.

My experience so far is that Cup 2 will not work properly on the stock car geometery - this is in regards to the S1 Evora S, my car is a MY13 Evora S SR.

I nearly destroyed a new set of Cup 2 on track at knock hill after just one trackday. I was constantly taking air out to bring the pressures down and the sidewalls on the left side of the car were getting wrecked with constant rolling of the tyres. I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong nor why I didn't have the gip I was expecting, I did the usual of running them lower than stock pressures etc but eventually ended up with significant bluing on the tyres. After my disappointment I decided to research into the tyres to find out if anyone else suffered the same issues. Unfortunatley I couldn't find anyone else using them on track with an Evora at that time so went to the Porsche and BMW forums and Michelin.

The things I picked up about the tyres were:

Cup 2 require lots of negative camber, between -1.5 and -3.0 but how much is dependant on your shock setup, geo, downforce etc. The Evora S stock suspenstion is quite soft.

Cup 2 shouldn't be run more than 36psi hot (on track) anymore and the tyres just overheat and the loss of grip is significant.

My setup:

I am now on Nitron 46 Race Pro - Hoffman Spec with 600lbs springs on the front with a 300lbs helper and 900lbs springs on the rear with 400lbs helpers and 5mm lower.

My car is at the max possible camber the stock wishbones allow for, I originally wanted -1.5 front and -2.5 rear but the max we could get was -1.26 front and -2.16 rear. To get anymore I would need to upgrade to the motorsports wishbones.

I think I get away with the slightly less agressive than target camber because I now have a stiffer suspension setup over stock S1 Evora S and also over the 410 I think too. Stock is 65N/mm front, 95N/mm rear (this was the same for both Evora NA and Evora S) so using an online converter I make stock out to be 371lbs and 542lbs.

I've only done one track day on the Nitrons so far and left the settings at rear 6 and front 10 clicks from full hard and found it to be quite bouncy so fine for road but needs to be much harder for track. Next trackday I'll be trying rear 2 and front 6 clicks from full hard.

In regards to how the car handles with the more agressive geo, well front end turn-in is sharp which is very confidence inspiring and the rear just follows around nicely. Going around corners on the road is next level, not that there were any issue with stock other than a tiny bit of front end understeer but it is just better. Ride is firmer than stock but not enough that I still can't daily the car.

Edited by saj
  • Like 1

Interesting thread. Hot target 2.0bar seems to be the standard for track tyres. Same advice from Avon with the ZZR and Pirelli withe the Trofeo. Both are excellent tyres with the Avon having the notably stiffer sidewalls if that was of benefit to an Evora it might be a good tyre to try. 

Big hoo har about the Cup2's which everyone seems to use now but I think Michelin were just catching up to what Pirelli did with the Trofeo and Avon with the ZZR. Wear rate is also better with ZZR but Trofeos are even grippier while they last.

32 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Both are excellent tyres with the Avon having the notably stiffer sidewalls if that was of benefit to an Evora it might be a good tyre to try. 

ZZRs are only available in a maximum size of 18" so will require a second set of wheels. 

@bosshog happens to have a set for sale: https://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/1819-forged-rimstock-wheels-with-avon-zzr-trackday-perfect/

18s won't fit 400/410 either.

57 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

18s won't fit 400/410 either.

My 18" BC Forged wheels fit over 400 front calipers. I'm pretty sure that the 18" TD 1.3 fitted as well. 

52 minutes ago, The Pits said:

As you were then! Great tyre if Avon decide to make larger sizes.

I doubt if they will. IIRC, they were made for the Lotus Cup series and the Evoras & V6 Exiges run 18" wheels (and 17" for the Exige fronts). 

• 1 month later...

Frigging site- every time I hit return half the bl**dy stuff I've typed disappears.

Try again

Just back from a few very hot track days down in Portugal and Spain - 43 degrees at one time. PS2's performed brilliantly at 35 psi hot for rears and 33 hot for fronts. 3800kms in total and still plenty of wear left.

The only thing indicated was the outside edge of the rears were showing signs of rolling  - the little Michelin man was half worn away. This indicates that a little more camber might be useful. Unfortunately I have nothing left to adjust so the only way would be to lower the suspension on the Nitrons. With only 5-10mm of free piston length left on the front and 35-40mm on the rear this wasn't a good option as I was already bottoming out on some dips at Portimao.

Edited by Bruss
crap site?
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been running mine at 25/28 psi cold and 32/36 psi hot as per recommendation for Cup. Michelin_Care_and_Feeding.pdf

Interesting notes about not running to low when cold. A fellow Evora owner also noted that they seems to be very sensitive to the camber. Too little camber and the wear is very odd. He thought that the wheel bearing was giving up. But it turned out that one of the front wheels was mis-aligned and caused uneven wear on the tyre. Otherwise I'm really happy with them. Did 48 laps last weekend, on 4 stints, and no signs of overheating despite being in a heavy Evora.

• 1 month later...

next mod is better track semi slicks

of course I did also some turns drifting in second gear not only track use but strange that a mpsc2 get the thread separating from the tyre like this

P_20171123_142406.jpg

Edited by Maxi_z