free hit
counters
Is it Normal? / Usage top tips? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PAR

Is it Normal? / Usage top tips?

Dear All, I am now 2 months in my Evora 400 ownership and I love it. I have thought for some time that there are small things that surprise me or where I am wondering is it my car or all cars? So I start this thread to check if this is indeed all Evoras or just mine (and then it will go back to the dealer for correction!) as well as receive tips.

In the 410 reviews, I just learned that there is indeed somewhere to put the fuel cap when filling the car (on the flap using a gap in the cap) so that is one of my list.

- Is it really that when I reverse only one light works and the other is a fake for symmetry?

- Why is the mechanical door lock on the left side? Is that because the car is designed for non UK markets and they didn't want 2 different models for cost reasons?

- I have a battery kill switch for when I can't use the car for a period of time. Any suggestion on how to manage the suicide doors when I open the door to get access to the manual tailgate cable?

- When I start the engine, it sometimes drain the entertainment system of power and resets it. Makes selecting the destination before starting the car useless. Do you have this issue?

- Can you get the reverse camera to work when you are driving forward? When I put the camera on, I only get a black screen.

- When do the reverse sensors rings, mine seems to only ring when I am about to touch the obstacles (like less than an inch)!

- Has anyone reconfigured the Video unit to watch DVD when in motion? I saw some thread describing how to do it (far beyond my capacities though)

- I have the auto version, when I want to return to auto from semi without waiting, I press the sport button and back to normal, any faster suggestion?

- I like that the exhaust button makes the car louder in normal but quieter in Sport (I checked this is the intention)

Anyone else with questions like that or top usage tips?

Thanks

Edited by PAR

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

One Reverse Light & One fog light.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

11 minutes ago, PAR said:

In the 410 reviews, I just learned that there is indeed somewhere to put the fuel cap when filling the car (on the flap using a gap in the cap) so that is one of my list.

- Can you get the reverse camera to work when you are driving forward? When I put the camera on, I only get a black screen.

- When do the reverse sensors rings, mine seems to only ring when I am about to touch the obstacles (like less than an inch)!

1 - This is news to me, I've filled up three times and been irked with the fact there's nowhere to put it... excellent news.

2 - Mine is the same, only activates when in reverse.

3 - Mine are pretty well graduated from a distance of ~1m+

Edited by Mister_Tad

26 minutes ago, PAR said:

- Has anyone reconfigured the Video unit to watch DVD when in motion? I saw some thread describing how to do it (far beyond my capacities though)

- I have the auto version, when I want to return to auto from semi without waiting, I press the sport button and back to normal, any faster suggestion?

1 is illegal, but one click on the handbrake would make this work, and cook your brakes.

2 - hold the + for a few seconds, should pop back into D. (incidentally, if you hold both, it'll pop into N). 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

1. Obviously not for me but for my daughter in the back seat. I can understand the regulators getting concerned about be getting too absorbed with Peppa Pig...  For the moment luckily, my 2 year old enjoys the engine noise and asks her dad to roar the engine...

2- Very curious about the N. I definitely will try that on the way home. Can you re-engage from the flaps?

So people with cars in the US and Europe have their manual lock on the left (Driver) side?

41 minutes ago, PAR said:

Dear All, I am now 2 months in my Evora 400 ownership and I love it. I have thought for some time that there are small things that surprise me or where I am wondering is it my car or all cars? So I start this thread to check if this is indeed all Evoras or just mine (and then it will go back to the dealer for correction!) as well as receive tips.

- Is it really that when I reverse only one light works and the other is a fake for symmetry?

------ As mentioned, one reversing, one fog

- Why is the mechanical door lock on the left side? Is that because the car is designed for non UK markets and they didn't want 2 different models for cost reasons?

------ Emergency use if your battery is flat or your key fob packs up. You can manually unlock with the key. They're all like this - pick a side!

- I have a battery kill switch for when I can't use the car for a period of time. Any suggestion on how to manage the suicide doors when I open the door to get access to the manual tailgate cable?

- When I start the engine, it sometimes drain the entertainment system of power and resets it. Makes selecting the destination before starting the car useless. Do you have this issue?

------ Mine occasionally seems to reboot the 'entertainment' system when I start the car. No idea why, it seems random.

------ No

------- Mine are very sensitive and seem to work quite well.

------- I believe it is illegal if viewable by the driver?

------- Just press D if you want to return to full auto (I think!)

- I like that the exhaust button makes the car louder in normal but quieter in Sport (I checked this is the intention)

------- This is true.

Anyone else with questions like that or top usage tips?

Thanks

Answers from my experience.

Other tips I have is when opening the petrol flap I get out of the car first and then press the button in the door so I can stop the flap springing open quite so vigorously! I always worry that the bottom edge may hit the bodywork and mark it over time, but it may be fine! Also, if you have trouble closing the flap after refueling, check that the restraining strap on the cap isn't fouling the mechanism (the lock is on the hinge side and the strap can get in the way).

1 hour ago, PAR said:

I find this really annoying too!

Also if I've been listening to the radio, but switch off the system, the radio starts playing when I reverse as the camera comes on. Sometimes nice to have musical accompanyment, sometimes just irritating :)

Additionals:

Pulling and holding both paddles will only select neutral if rolling slowly or stationary (not at speed)

To put back in gear from neutral hold the + paddle for a couple of seconds and it will put it into drive (again only if rolling slowly or stationary)

Another tip - you don't need to select park if you are parking up. Turn the engine off and it will select park automatically.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

1 hour ago, PAR said:

IMG_0346_1.jpg

Edit: Oh great only have the damned account for posting images to forums...

There is a groove around the inside of the petrol cap and a tab inside the filler flap. The tab fits into the groove.

Any suggestions for a new image hosting site?

xaAAI63.jpg

• Like 2

Yep. Manual door lock is on the left of my LHD also. :)

The filler cap tip just made my day !!!

And I never pushed the exhaust button while on sport mode so didn't know. Thx !

2 hours ago, Colin P said:

Any suggestions for a new image hosting site?

I guess you worked it out but you have a very healthy upload allowance on here where images will be remotely saved forever :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On 8/8/2017 at 15:39, Neal H said:

Other tips I have is when opening the petrol flap I get out of the car first and then press the button in the door so I can stop the flap springing open quite so vigorously! I always worry that the bottom edge may hit the bodywork and mark it over time, but it may be fine! Also, if you have trouble closing the flap after refueling, check that the restraining strap on the cap isn't fouling the mechanism (the lock is on the hinge side and the strap can get in the way).

I can confirm the petrol flap does indeed hit the bodywork when opening, and wears the paint. I pointed this out to the factory 17,000 miles ago. I now have a little wear mark on my paint from the flap opening. Hopefully an item that just polish will solve.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Keep thinking about making a little strap that is just long enough to stop the flap reaching the body work.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats

If I paid attention there is probably somewhere you could put a piece of blu-tack which would stop it opening all the way.

How Lotus didn't notice/care about this I don't know - mine makes a hell of a noise, can't miss it.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

1 hour ago, JayEmm said:

I can confirm the petrol flap does indeed hit the bodywork when opening, and wears the paint. I pointed this out to the factory 17,000 miles ago. I now have a little wear mark on my paint from the flap opening. Hopefully an item that just polish will solve.

Mine doesn't, but it is perilously close.

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:55, JayEmm said:

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:58, CocoPops said:

Keep thinking about making a little strap that is just long enough to stop the flap reaching the body work.

On my S1, I removed one of the little springs that 'fires' the flap open to introduce some 'added lightness' to the system so now it just pops up clear of the bodywork enough to get a finger in and open it the rest of the way manually.

Colin P's photo 'stolen' and edited to save me going out in the rain to take a pic of mine.

598db82f2b164_evorafuelflap.jpg.73f207766f74c393b6230d38dc2c9993.jpg

• Like 1

Oh good idea 

The auto will go from manual shift back to full auto if the right had paddle is pulled for a couple of seconds. Pulling both paddles puts it in neutral when stationary. Pull the right paddle to engage 1st gear from neutral when stopped. ( must have foot on brake though ).   I think the answers to everything you ask is in the Owners Handbook supplied with the car.

As it is not a DCT gearbox , you shouldn't select neutral unless your car is stationary ... I know it is very popular for Porsches or Lambos owners to do so, then they can rev childishly, but they have DCTs and selecting neutral is possible when moving (and instantaneous!) .

in the same way, you should not cut off the ignition without going in P position... it can put the TCU in error, and, according to the manual, can harm the gearbox ! 

Just remembered the other 'top tip' that I didn't discover until several years into ownership. I thought it was necessary to switch off the headlamps before switching off the side lamps with two separate button presses until some kind soul here pointed out that holding the headlamp button for a second or two will switch off both together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2017 at 22:54, French Frie said:

As it is not a DCT gearbox , you shouldn't select neutral unless your car is stationary ... I know it is very popular for Porsches or Lambos owners to do so, then they can rev childishly, but they have DCTs and selecting neutral is possible when moving (and instantaneous!) .

in the same way, you should not cut off the ignition without going in P position... it can put the TCU in error, and, according to the manual, can harm the gearbox ! 

Thanks for that, advice I do follow, I do select "P" manually before turning off, but have forgotten a couple of times and only select Neutral when stationary, however the following is from the manual:

There is conflicting advice on selecting neutral, under button functions the manual says"N- Neutral: select only when the vehicle is stationary......."

It also however says "Neutral can be also be selected from any gear by simultaneously pulling both steering wheel mounted paddles shifters". If stationary you will only be in first, so the inference is you don't need to be stationary (not that I would put it to the test).

The manual says "Select park only when stationary. Park will be selected Automatically when the ignition is switched off and the vehicle speed is below 1.2mph". implying that this should not be an issue.

There is also a section "To avoid potential damage to the engine and transmission a PRND selection under certain conditions can only be achieved if the gear selection requested is "appropriate" to the vehicles current road speed...."

Would that instruction on cutting the ignition be a difference between the 400 Auto and the IPS? I read the manual as well and saw that it was automatically going to P when I cut the ignition.

Did people notice that the red lighting of the gearbox stays on for sometime after shutting the ignition and closing the car?

• Like 1

On 08/08/2017 at 15:46, trcm said:

I find this really annoying too!

Also if I've been listening to the radio, but switch off the system, the radio starts playing when I reverse as the camera comes on. Sometimes nice to have musical accompanyment, sometimes just irritating :)

On 08/08/2017 at 15:39, Neal H said:

------ Mine occasionally seems to reboot the 'entertainment' system when I start the car. No idea why, it seems random

Ok, following my daughter leaving the indoor light on, I killed the battery and had to replace it. I removed the 63A battery (as per the manual) and put instead a 70A one. This seems to have solved that long term issue that was bugging me. Now I can keep the GPS on and start the engine!!

• Like 1