free hit
counters
Red Clutch Hose Replacement - Page 3 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Red Clutch Hose Replacement

I know this is an older thread, but how did you all route your braided line?  The red line goes through the frame in a couple spots and the fitting on the braided line is not making it through the holes I’m looking at.
thanks 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right angle goes off the master cylinder end  I think we should hand this thread over to these guys and let them do the foot work   Until then i am sitting on the fence   

Well that was the most fun I’ve had on a garage floor with a Dremel since that one time on the Strip in Vegas!  I can apply to be a member of the Braided Clutch Line club, and all my grommets are back

When I installed a braided clutch hose on my 1990 Turbo SE, I needed either an adaptor to suit, or I had to drill and cut thread in the clutch master. I chose the later, as it's one link lesser, one s

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Black88 said:

the braided line is not making it through the holes I’m looking at.

Hi Russell,

On PNM's website, it discusses the occasional need to dremmel the holes a little larger for the larger high flow braided hose fittings to pass.

Andy.

• Thanks 1

X2 on using that Dremel you bought many years ago... 🤡

Also (you didn't hear this from ME) but SOME people have just routed the new hose along the bottom of the frame rather than thread it through the original holes. I've seen it on a couple of Esprits I've helped with.

• Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Black88,

This is one of those repairs that will make your relationship with your Esprit most intimate! Its been a while but I recall laying under my Esprit and wrapping my arms around the underside to route the new braided line exactly where the original red hose was routed. I do remember having to remove a rubber grommet i think toward the front firewall area for the braided hose/fitting end to fit through the hole. May have left the grommet out, don't remember. I do not recall drilling or filing any hole(s). Mine is a 1989. 

• Thanks 1

If you do so, do wrap in the braided line with something else to protect it where it passes holes in the chassis.

First you add new gromets from the slave end on to the new line. position them to make it easier to reach to pressfit.

attatch the old and new line.

Pull through. Old gromets may be needed to undo and remove or just pressed back in the end.

Instead of suing an extra adapter fitting, redril and cut the fitting thread in the slave cylinder. No need for extra fitting and extra sealing rings.

I filed down the new fitting a little bit to make it pass, rather than drilling and filing holes in the galvanized chassis. No problem ever in that.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Thanks 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

12 hours ago, Jacques said:

I filed down the new fitting a little bit to make it pass, rather than drilling and filing holes in the galvanized chassis. No problem ever in that.

Exactly how I do it!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

When I did mine I removed the fitting from the tube.

On the SJ one as I mentioned earlier in this thread the fittings are not a swaged type and can be removed. Amazing they stay on the pipe actually, they are not very good. As I also mentioned if I had not cut the red pipe to remove it I would have put it back again. 

Proper way to do this would be Kunifer pipe from the master cyl down the chassis then a flexible tail to the slave cyl.

• Like 2

Black88,

With this thread coming alive again it got me thinking to when I replaced my red hose with braided line and now I remember that I tied a string from the red hose to the new braided line and pulled the new line in as I removed the old red hose. I believe that i pulled from the rear. As I mentioned there was only a grommet area or two that caused difficulty. You will be one with your vehicle on this job!

JKorvette-

yes, I feel like I’ve become quite close with this car recently - it’s like she scent marked me with DOT4 as I was getting the slave cylinder and red line out at the back end up in there 😳; I’m am now hers! 

Cheers, all! 

• Haha 2
20 hours ago, CarBuff said:

Also (you didn't hear this from ME) but SOME people have just routed the new hose along the bottom of the frame rather than thread it through the original holes. I've seen it on a couple of Esprits I've helped with.

A previous owner/mechanic has done exactly this to mine. Its on the list to correct at some point, but pretty low priority given all the other issues to sort on mine!

3 hours ago, tomcattom said:

A previous owner/mechanic has done exactly this to mine. Its on the list to correct at some point, but pretty low priority given all the other issues to sort on mine!

Make sure you do, or your application for membership of Sparky’s Braided Clutch Line club will never be approved. He has standards, you know.

Margate Exotics.

18 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

He never spotted it when he came and gave the car the once over so I must be in! 🤐

Don’t you believe it, his eyes are like a 3D scanner. He was just being polite for once.

Margate Exotics.

I deemed it of minimal consequence in the grand scheme of things.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

That, or it should be placed on the "experienced" shelf.

Your car is no longer a plastic car, as some other car brands would have it.

Kind regards,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)