free hit
counters
Fuel filler flaps not working - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Strange one, but both my filler flaps stopped working.

I've managed to open one manually from inside the boot. Cables and solenoid look ok. Sprayed some grease on - no luck.

As both sides stopped working at the same time, I think it may be the switch, but I can't figure out how to get take the switch out to inspect/test the connection.

According to the parts handbook there's a bracket behind the leather, but not sure how I can access from the front. Has anyone taken out the switch before? Pointers appreciated.

Is there a fuse or relay for the flap solenoids? Couldn't find anything in the manual....

Some have recommended I take some power to the solenoids directly to see if they are the issue, but how would I do that? Can I just put them to a 12v power source?

Anything else I should be trying?

Thanks,

Sean

IMG_20170809_141238.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reporting back for those interested, and in case someone else stumbles upon this thread with a similar problem in future. Managed to get the switch out. Everything looked fine. Played around with

The switch has small locking tabs, you want to squeeze and push from inside the dash, not too hard. Power comes from the purple wire in the center, via fuse 4 as said. The wires to each solenoid are p

Posted Images

Where? The footrest?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Think that cables been there since I got the car, and the switch did work for the first few days so don't think it is related...

I do need to find out what that cable's actually for though.

Cheers Derek will check that fuse.

Those switches are used for the power windows, as well.  They just pull out of the doors (or center console, if that is where yours are mounted).   Reach around the bottom of the dash and push down.

If you suspect a switch, substitute your passenger window switch, if it is in the door it would be little-used.

To apply 12V to the solenoids directly, hook 12V and a ground to each terminal of the battery in the boot. (alligator clips)

+++++++++++++

One other thought: Is it possible that the solenoids are working but the flaps just don't open? I've had that issue a couple times in the almost three decades I've owned my '88. Have a helper pull on the flaps while the switch is actuated.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Both mine quit working, but I could hear the solenoids... they just wouldn't unlatch.

I sprayed them with some teflon bicycle lube, and they work fine now.  The old grease had gotten dried out.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• Gold FFM

The switch has small locking tabs, you want to squeeze and push from inside the dash, not too hard. Power comes from the purple wire in the center, via fuse 4 as said. The wires to each solenoid are purple-red, you can try putting 12V to one of those to check.

The yellow wire, if standard, would be an ignition switched 12V feed. So better have a look and verify if it's still powered or not, before you get a short!

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Reporting back for those interested, and in case someone else stumbles upon this thread with a similar problem in future.

Managed to get the switch out. Everything looked fine. Played around with the wires and reinserted.

The old fuse looked fine too, but to be safe I replaced it with a new one. That got it working!

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Glad the solenoids weren't out.

• Like 2