free hit
counters
Gear linkage adjustment - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
winners

Gear linkage adjustment

Hi there all

I'm running out of adjustment on my gear linkage. I've had to lengthen and shorten the linkage periodically over the years as the engine mounts have done what Esprit engine mounts do! I couldn't get first yesterday, the typical symton I got when the engine mounts were on the way out,  but the engine mount has recently been changed, so I put it down to "settling". On trying to adjust (shorten) the linkage I needed to remove the locking nut to be able to shorten the linkage enough to select first. 

A couple of questions 

1. Is there any where else that the length of the linkage can be adjusted and if so how do you get to it 

2.Any ideas of what may cause this other than the engine mounts. The linkage "rubbers" are ok

Ta

Mark 

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure if the S1 is the same as the S3 gearbox linkage wise,    But SJ sells an upgrade kit for the linkage,  A decent mod and i would presume this would also give you a little more room to play with if this kit is applicable to the s1 application also.   

Also  Cables do stretch over time its only natural, so maybe look at replacing that also maybe imo

A

You mention the linkage rubbers....so I presume this linkage is the tubular one with the levers rather than the crossgate cable? I must admit that I have never adjusted the tubular linkage on my 82 Turbo in the 30 years I've had her; apart from changing the rubbers on the tube ends and levers it's been fine.  The crossgate has taken some fettling, though.  I believe the S&J kit is for the Renault gearbox, which had a different linkage from the Citroen box on the earlier cars.

Since the crossgate cable outer is fitted to the engine, the engine moving on it's mounts shouldn't affect anything.... but it could affect the tubular linkage. Not familiar with the S1, though.....but good luck, anyway(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

John  SJ did or still does one for the citroen  box,     it comprises of long shaft of stainless steel tapped at one end an a rose joint on the end.  this part is for the crossgate which replaces the rusty old lotus part that adjust near the gearbox,  then you also have a machined shim/bush that is fitted into the lever arm on the gearbox off memory. 

Steve did defo do them as it was an upgrade i did at the same time as the braided clutch hose upgrade :)

A

I have searched the SJ site and can't find this upgrade listed. Do you have a link?

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

SJ  part number SJ502    

Go on to the site and choose car S1,   then  upgrades/accersories,   then engine.   42 quid and has a picture also :)

9 minutes ago, jcslocum said:

I have searched the SJ site and can't find this upgrade listed. Do you have a link?

A

Fitting a rose joint here makes perfect sense, not sure why they didnt do this originally. They used 4 rose joints on the headlamp lifters!

This can be done without the SJ parts, just drill and tap the end of the existing shaft and screw in a rose joint, thats what I did in the end as the SJ shaft had the wrong thread so I sent it back.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2017 at 13:26, silverfrost said:

John  SJ did or still does one for the citroen  box,     it comprises of long shaft of stainless steel tapped at one end an a rose joint on the end.  this part is for the crossgate which replaces the rusty old lotus part that adjust near the gearbox,  then you also have a machined shim/bush that is fitted into the lever arm on the gearbox off memory. 

Steve did defo do them as it was an upgrade i did at the same time as the braided clutch hose upgrade :)

Interesting...I'd never found it as it's listed under S1 and S2...but when you find it, it also says "and early S3"!!!  Mine's still doing the business, but it's good to know it exists...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Good upgrade John,     Got to of been over tens years ago now i fitted mine, cant remember for the life of me where i saw it first,  still fitted to my s3 and it does not even have the lotus transmission anymore :)

A

On 15/08/2017 at 17:01, silverfrost said:

Good upgrade John,     Got to of been over tens years ago now i fitted mine, cant remember for the life of me where i saw it first,  still fitted to my s3 and it does not even have the lotus transmission anymore :)

I've drilled the oval holes out oversize and turned down a socket headed setscrew as a pin...no slop there! If I wanted to fit a rose joint, I'd have to change the whole cable as the rod part and the adjusting nuts etc. have always been so rusty they won't turn...since I got her in 1988(!) but the cable still works....

• Like 1