free hit
counters
Spal Fans - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Big Vern

Spal Fans

Hi, i have an 86 S3 N/a with the 2 fan radiator. I have replaced the radiator but am looking for an alternative to the 'Fiesta' Fans and cowling. Has anyone used SPAL fans and if so how do you fit them? Any help would be appreciated 1f642.png

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mr Danger US has inspired several owners to install SPAL fans in turbos (which use THREE fans)

In those cars the fans will fit right in the old shrouds.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2335273-post5.html

The fans:

Spal 30102057 10" Paddle Blade High Performance Fan : Amazon.com : Automotive

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

As the above post says Brett,   Use spal type fans,   You can even do away will the fan cowling and put them direct onto the back of the radiator uses special ties.  Very good upgrade indeed.   Much lighter than the old units and the air movement is fantastic,  Just look at some of figures on the pull rate of the fans showing air movement its a hell of a lot.

I used then on one of my cars,  and putting a bit of A4 paper a good distance in front of the car it sucked it up to the mesh grill straight out of my hands :)

You can purchase proper spal ones from places like Merlin motorsports etc,  or look on ebay and by the same units just not made by spal etc,  They are much cheaper and to be honest this is what i used,  and have had no problems with them regarding quality etc.   

A

One thing to note:  you may need to go from the OEM 10A fuse to a 15A fuse for the fan circuits.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thanks guys for the responses, ive noted the tip re the fuses.

Dan, did you attach the fans using the ties to the rad, ive heard that the cowling increases airflow, and also potentially could the ties wear through the rad fins eventually due to slight movements?

My cowling is in bad shape and unrepairable. I could fork out another £100 or so from SJ for a new cowling but if it doesn't need it.......

On my S I ditched the fiesta units. Recored to three row - and used some spal copies for kit cars off eBay. They were amazing.

the cowling was cracked and busted - got put in the spares pile and that was that

• Like 1

Only here once

Hi Brett,   The cowling was of use when the fiesta fans had been in place as the fans are crap and need all the help they can to pull air lol.   The spal type fans due to the way they are designed sit onto the radiator core fins,  Thus to my understanding they do not require a cowling as the air movement is far suppirior to the lotus design  i would say 99.9 percent better imo.  

Regarding the ties,  I have never found this myself and to be honest have never heard of this problem before,  But i would say the ones that snap due to vibration may possibly be cheap alternatives or pulled way to tight,  if i remember rightly on mine i fitted the little foam pads that had been supplied with the ties,  this will avoid the friction and add a little dampening to prevent breakage imo. 

You can also increase the size of the fans greatly and take them out all the way to where the fins end on rad, cant remember the exact size i used but they are pretty large lol. 

You can do this upgrade for as little as 50 quid all in.  

A

I swear the front of my car lifted when them fans kicked in :lol:

• Haha 1

Only here once

Excellent, it seems to be the best way to go then. Stupid question, is it  'pull' or 'blow' fans that i need?

I also have the rad from SJ which is a Serck Motorsport manufactured one. Im wondering if the 5 holes on the brackets are meant for Spal fans as Serck also suggest using them too. I shall email them to ask..... you never know...forward thinking....

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 10.07.57.png

• Like 1

Fans suck air through the rad. Otherwise when driving the wouldn't do anything 

Only here once

Thanks Barry i did think that, just wanted confirmation. Cheers

Cracking looking Alloy Rad Brett   :thumbup:   Your esprits cooling system will be spot on after fitting that and will spal fans will be awesome,  not only from the extra cooling that alli rads are supposed to offer but also a good weight saving  for your esprit  also.  

I think i would be a bit of a spotter and have to weight the old rad,cowling and fiesta fans,  and then weight the alli rad and spal fans,  I reckon it will be a very decent weight saving imo, those bloody fiesta fans are not only ugly but fairly heavy off memory :) 

A

Funnily enough the rad has to go back as the outlet pipe is straight rather than angled. They've got it sorted though and it should be back soon. The old rad fell apart  upon removal and the fiesta fans are working but badly rusted, it seems a good idea to upgrade now, i just need to work out how to attach the fans with those 3 bars in the way. There is only 8.5 inches between the bars so i dont really want small fans i want the 10 inch ones.....

Just chop and modify to suit chap.

Think I put 9" ones on when I did it

• Like 1

Only here once

Brett Looking at the design of the alli rad,  I cant see why the support latts cant be removed ?  You could always email Steve at sj and ask him to ask the supplier. 

Yes it will affect the warranty but i would put the question across as it looks to me like the rad would be fine without them as when its bolted in place on the esprit bodyshell that will act as support also. 

I would get the grinder out, but that is just me and i have not just forked out for a new radiator :)  But i cant see a problem :thumbup:

Just depends on where Steve gets them from, if they are made locally i.e UK in a smallish set up they may take them of for you hopefully !

• Like 1

A

Of you could use the outer ones to hold some braces to bolt the fans to

Only here once

I think that may be the way to go Barry,Thanks for your help guys...

Agree cowling not needed. All kinds of cars, Ferrari etc use Spals mounted directly on the rad.

A fan cowling is really only needed if the exit of the fan is not clear, in order to prevent air going back through the exposed part of the rad but thats not the case here, the fans have a clear exit path. 

• Like 1

I left the cowling in place for the simple reason that it will gather the air from a larger surface area. IMO

IMG_3018.PNG

This was my S4 btw 

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Here was mine in the end, the supplier added some bars and mounted the spal fans to it.... All ready now to go back in.

20170822_162933 (1).jpg

Thats exactly like a Ferrari 3x8 rad, the fans are mounted identically. That arrangement leaves the rest of the rad clear so that normal airflow can flow through the entire rad when the fans are not running.

• Like 1

Word of advice:  DON'T use the cheap chinese pancake fans, often marked as "12v 80W" or blue or greed dots - they are not adequate and flow is not as advertised.

Use only SPAL (Italy) fans, PN# 30100435 (10") or Spal 30100411 (11" ) Curved Blade Puller Fan.

It really does not matter if you buy a puller or pusher fan, unless it has "curved" blades! Any fan rotation can be reversed by switching 12v positive and negative leads.

I used the tripack fans from merlin motorsport.

3 of the 11" ones fits just right into the cowling. 

IMG_8414.jpg

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

On 24/09/2017 at 16:33, MrDangerUS said:

Word of advice:  DON'T use the cheap chinese pancake fans, often marked as "12v 80W" or blue or greed dots - they are not adequate and flow is not as advertised.

Use only SPAL (Italy) fans, PN# 30100435 (10") or Spal 30100411 (11" ) Curved Blade Puller Fan.

It really does not matter if you buy a puller or pusher fan, unless it has "curved" blades! Any fan rotation can be reversed by switching 12v positive and negative leads.

They sound like the fans I fitted to my S4. Got to say I never had a problem in 3 yrs. Good as gold... ?

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 19:45, top-plumber said:

I left the cowling in place for the simple reason that it will gather the air from a larger surface area. IMO

IMG_3018.PNG

This was my S4 btw 

When you look at it, there's more hole than there is cowling, if you see what I mean.

Junked mine, never had a problem.

Margate Exotics.