free hit
counters
Rust around a valve - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Rust around a valve

Daniel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What about breach of the inlet manifold gasket? If water can get in and it just happens the engine stopped on a part of cycle where a set of valves are open, then you'd have water and air. Or, if the engine stood for a long time then possibly condensation, again, vales would need to be open but would seem odd as you'd expect two opposing cylinders to suffer that.

• Like 1

Good point Andy. The car has not been driven in a year (to the day), so it could simply be condensation.

That particular cylinder had good compression with cyl 1 down slightly (155, 175, 175, 175).

Hoping to drop it off at PNM tomorrow for a rebuild anyway.

Hi Daniel,

Have exact same symptom on my engine. Pictures looks the same. I managed to overheat the engine. For mee it looks to be a blown head gasket, but Will be very interested in what PNM says. ..

Bjørn Erik 

Edited by woldern

On 14/08/2017 at 19:03, woldern said:

Hi Daniel,

Have exact same symptom on my engine. Pictures looks the same. I managed to overheat the engine. For mee it looks to be a blown head gasket, but Will be very interested in what PNM says. ..

Bjørn Erik 

Not a lot wrong with it according to Pete at PNM. He highlighted an area around cyl 1 which shows signs of head gasket failure which could be responsible for the drop in compression.

I've left the top end with him for a rebuild, in the meantime, I'm going to check out the condition of the bottom end.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Make sure you get those liners locked down Daniel if you have not all ready before poking about on the block :)

Indeed...... I was just about to order the tool, but presumably washers held down with steel or ali' tubing will be just as good?

• 2 weeks later...

If ever you have to take the liners out, you will find you need a proper mansized puller to shift them...not much chance, realistically, of them moving even if unrestrained...but anything that hold them down will work. Looking at the engine, I'm not sure why you think the brown stuff is rust? I've known similar deposits before and they came from the fuel and combustion.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein