free hit
counters
Heavy clutch.... - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Heavy clutch....

My car is with Silverstone to sell and Aimee commented the clutch felt heavy. It's been like it the whole time I have has the car. So I never noticed it. 

What are the the signs of clutch wear? I always thought it was a high bite point? 

Is there any way to check the clutch wear? Car had 20k on it.

stu

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My 2010 N/A had a heavy clutch.  I had the fluid changed, but it made no difference.  Eventually had the clutch changed and it significantly reduced the effort required.  As commented by others at the time, the high bite point was not affected by the clutch change.

I wouldn't necessarily claim that heavy clutch = new clutch required, but it could be an indicator.

Edited by nigelh
  • Like 1

Cheers that rings true with what I have heard about clutch weights varying. Mine has been the same since 13k miles when I bought it and it had had an easy life. I'd be surprised if it needs a change sonearly on given how it has been used. 

My 2009 Evora has a very heavy clutch and has done 29k.  I've got used to it (left leg is ripped now!) but I've noticed a bit of vibration through the transmission on changing gear above 5,000 rpm and a slightly higher pitch indicating it starting to slip at higher loads.  

I plan to book my car into CMC in Edinburgh later this year to get it changed (£2k) :cry:

• Like 1

Mines heavy - Aimee and the mechanics have never said anything about it when it’s been back up there. 

I tested my clutch on a hill and it’s definitely not slipping at all, so I wouldn’t call a heavy clutch an indication for change.

• Like 1

That's the conclusion I am expecting them to reach but Aimee specifically said a couple viewed the car and were concerned about the heavy clutch and she agreed. 

I simply and honestly said it's been like that since my ownership with no issues changing gear or slippage. 

• Gold FFM

hey stu, i would consider my clutch heavy compared to my other modern  cars, and vans  ...  i wouldnt want to be sitting in traffic all day with it put it that way..  i test drove a 16k milage one at b&C  (mines on 25K) and that was heavier...  

my wifes mini clutch is almost as light as the throttle peddle! i jump out of that into my lotus or my track clio and its a huge difference..

• Like 1

Mine is a 2009 NA launch edition with 47000 km , the clutch has always been heavy but it is still good for the moment with no sign of failure.

of course compared with my other cars , it is significantly heavier and the first time i declutch on the audi A5 i feel there is nothing under the pedal.

• Like 1