free hit
counters
How can I open the bootlid??? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My battery has fully discharged, interior light stayed on I think - so I need to get into the engine /boot compartment, but of course the mechanism will not work without power. Easy you say, lift the back seat and pull emergency cable, except it won't move! Actually bent the retaining metal plate in trying to pull it.

So now I am trying to charge the battery through the 12v socket in the car, but that means leaving the key in on first position to keep circuit open - so far after 3 hours not enough power to open the boot, so not sure if it is working.

Any ideas on what to do next most appreciated..................

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would you believe it - went to start removing the panels from the footwell and thought I would try the key fob boot release - it worked!  Going to work much happier today! Thanks for the adv

Solved.  Removed 40Ah fuse on top left. Connected positive to fuse terminal,  negative to chassis and bingo...power restored and able to use fob to open boot.

Posted Images

Make sure you're pulling the emergency release cable towards to opposite side of the vehicle, not towards the front or back of the car. 

If that doesn't work, and your charger isn't working, there is the possibility of unbolting the hatch (hinged side) from under the vehicle if you have some long extensions. 

The service notes have a procedure to go through the top vents near the hatch lid, but it involves cutting holes in them and then replacing them after the fact. 

Sounds like a plague of boot failures in Cornish Evoras. 

Mine was pretty tough to pull open using the cable and it popped out of the little retaining plate that the cable passes through under the seat, but still did move in the end and did the job. If you're giving it a good pull and it's not sliding at all probably best to take it up to SWLC; if the cable has seized you don't want to snap it. Hope the charger works. 

Charging hasn't worked so far, so its gonna be a trailer job to SWLC I think - cable sleeve has come apart so it won't run but it is still intact so maybe they can make it work. Other problem is that the window is also open as it does when you open the door, so now I have a black bag taped to the car!!

I saw a black Evora coming out of Truro toward Tresillian on Friday, was that yours?

No, don't think that was me - haven't been east of Truro for a couple of weeks. I've seen a black one several times so think it may be local but never found out who it is. 

Good luck with getting yours sorted - hopefully they'll just pull the cable at an unexpected angle or something and it'll all be fine. 

I have an idea, but not sure if it would work as electrics are not my strong point! The trunk release solenoid was working fine before the battery went flat, so the issue is energising the solenoid.

If I remove the relay for the trunk release, then put a 12v - from a jump pack on the chassis and touch the 12v+ to the live feed pin to the solenoid, it should trigger the release...................I think!

If anyone can advise if this is a bad idea, not going to do it until I have some kind of advice as i don't want to exacerbate the problem. Also in the fuse diagram, there doesn't seem to be a  fuse for the trunk release, although it does show the relay position. I'm guessing the fuse is shared with another component, but it is not showing that.

In the pax compartment there is a cover plate at the front of the floor bulkhead. Remove this. There is a live feed in to the board. Connect a second battery to this and the battery earth to the chassis floor.  The boot release should now work. 

Warning: make sure you connect the live and earth correctly.

Great, thanks for that - I was hoping to find the main feed to the fusebox but wasn't sure if it would be accessible - best solution so far!

When it finally stops raining here I will give it a try - the window dropped because the door was opened, and now won't go back up so its all taped up with plastic!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, my turn to get a dead battery after a long resting time in the garage.

Car is one year old. I will start it connecting my subaru, engine running,  to it. I guess by doing so, and let the evora run then take it for an hour ride, it should be ok then. I'm just asking as I read on the forum that the OE battery seems to be crap. 

Usually, a one year old discharged battery brought back to life by an other car is making a perfect job for years. Should I expect something else in that case and go get (already) a new one ? 

Batteries are a strange art! You can have one that has been dead for a while and will accept a charge and hold it. Others that have been on trickle/maintenance chargers suddenly fail for no apparent reason.  As you say get the car started first. Then charge the battery normally and see if it lasts. The Evora isn't unusual in modern cars. A drain is always present for on board systems and alarms. If you leave the car locked the battery drain is supposed to be less than leaving it unlocked, but then you have the above problem of opening the battery compartment (boot) with no battery and a rubbish manual pull.

OK thx. I'll go for it. 

For info, I had no problem using the manual pull cable. All went well as long as you have previously open the drivers door with your key because,  if you closed it manualy, there is still a lock mecanism that wont let the boot open with the pull cable. Even if no electricity is running in the car. 

• 2 weeks later...

Something that can help others, I was struggling to open the boot with the cable but when I got help (my wife opened the boot as I was pulling the cable) then it got much easier.

• 1 year later...

I don't have a rear seat. I cannot find the cable. Where is it located exactly? Do I have to remove all  the cloth and insulation material to find it? Is it on the bottom or against the rear (with the engine). Does someone has pics? Pim in NL

Cable is under the insulation and comes in at the rear from the right hand side of the car looking forward, or the left hand side looking back towards the rear window (pax side on a lhd car). You will have to remove the carpet and insulation material to see it.

You have to remove all of the material to get to the bottom. Note that my cable (even though it has never been used) is laying in a position heading to the rear. Although, that is not the direction to pull it. It should be pulled towards the center of the car.

pull.JPG