free hit
counters
TAF-X; more than one type? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Loose Cannon

TAF-X; more than one type?

I saw some TAF-X on Ebay, and since I used my last drops last year thought it prudent to order a bit more for stock.

However In think I've boobed a bit, as it sounds like the wrong spec (GL4), it also has a different colour cap (red instead of the green). What have I bought? Is it any use or should it go back?

599a09ae4e1ed_tafx.jpg.b4f0029b1cd270e2ea9b8159b87b037a.jpg

This was the last bottle I had;

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a2b79b9d0afc9a2c99ef91489c4565a4.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I recently spoke to a Castrol tech guy here as I wanted to know what they were saying was equivalent.

I have since purchased Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75W/90. Yet to put it int though. Should happen in the next week when I get to work on the car.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Yep - Syntrax is the way to go for us Aussies. There's no other options here.  Easy enough job.

syntrax_zpsd031eb2a.jpg.363af4395a5c58aa75cae479de20ceac.jpg 

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

That is correct. There are even several Syntrans versions, so :

Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W90.

Lotus tested this and found it to be used as Taf-X went out of market.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

And according to Castrol themselves, it should be the Universal Plus version as it is the only one that has a GL5 rating. I think when Lotus did their testing, the Universal Plus was not around.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

No, it's fine.

It's the original oil recommended for the transaxle by Lotus. The one I posted above is the Lotus-recommended replacement.

Margate Exotics.

I would ring Castrol technical Mark and see what they say.

Thanks all. Turns out there is only one TAF X formulation after all, I was confused by the seller's VW ratings. From Castrol technical advice;

Castrol TAF-X was only in 1 formulation with API GL4+ and VW 501.50 specification (G50/G51).

More than 5 years ago this product was renamed to Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90. So, maybe it is worth to check the age of these bottles because we normally advise the shelf life of approx. 5 years.

I wasn't aware oil degraded particularly in storage, maybe the time is right to switch to Syntrans after all.

• Like 1

I knew it degraded when used in the engine lol,  but thought it was fine left in the bottle like yourself,  best restock my armageddon and zombie apocalypse stockpile, do not want to cook the transmission in the armoured vehicle when the sxxt  finally hits the fan :P

• Like 2

A

I mentioned to the tech guru that Lotus had not tested Syntrans in the UN1 and couldn't comment on its suitability, and this was the response;

It is still the TAF-X formulation. No need for testing imo

Kind regards,

Maurice Wijnen

3198 NA Europoort-Rotterdam
Havennummer 6425
d’Arcyweg 76
BP Europa SE – BP Nederland

The Netherlands

Chamber of Commerce Rotterdam nr. 24489071

www.castrol.nl

It is not the same formulation. There's a thread somewhere and the key difference is the Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90 has slightly worse high temperature performance than the TAF-X.

But does the net effect of oil degradation (as alluded by the tech guru) offset this? The newest TAF-X is going to be 10 years old by now.