free hit
counters
Will an Excel spare wheel tub fit into an Elite? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Grizzly

Will an Excel spare wheel tub fit into an Elite?

I have kept the spare wheel tub from a scrapped Excel with the intention of letting it into the boot of my Excel. No reason why it shouldn't fit. Has any body any experience or thoughts on this. Ensuring the tub is properly glassed into the elite body is one detail I have yet to consider. Why? To give good access to the spare wheel when on the side of a motorway in the pouring rain

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think they (Excel and Elite) are different bolt PCD. Elite being Jag based, Excel being Toyota based. 

I think th elite was 4 x 100  and the excel 4 x 114.3 ?

Elite/Eclat and Excel wheels are interchangeable.

Also Eclats, and later Elite do carry the spare wheel onboard, as opposed to under the car, so the mod should work.

Tyres and rim sizes do differ. (14 to 15 inch, and 205 to 215)

Neil

1 hour ago, Neil D. said:

Elite/Eclat and Excel wheels are interchangeable.

Also Eclats, and later Elite do carry the spare wheel onboard, as opposed to under the car, so the mod should work.

Tyres and rim sizes do differ. (14 to 15 inch, and 205 to 215)

Neil

I can't remember all the details, but the Speedlines fitted to the Elite S2.2 were 4x100, whereas those fitted to the Excel were 4x114.3 and so it's not entirely clear cut.

However this shouldn't affect the fitment of the Excel wheel well, which should fit. I have the original Elite setup and keep the spare in a zipped wheel bag which at least means it stays clean.

Richard

I'd misread the post, thinking Brian had kept a wheel from an Excel. In which case, my comment re PCD is irrelevant. 

As to bonding on a wheel tub to an Elite, I hadn't realised there was a lot of space beneath the Elite floor, but guess it's where the wheel is normally stored but from underneath, so sounds like a good idea, perhaps Lotus decided not to go that route as it means emptying the boot to get a wheel out (because we don't all drive around with boots of theses light weight cars absolutely full.- excluding emergency tools & parts).

A lot of responses seem to be around the size of wheels and whether they fit the 'hole' that Brian has?

As he has the 'hole' - that would seem easy enough to check, I would equally think that there is enough room, with the original floor removed to fit the Excel replacement - given the changes made to the Excel suspension, I would assume that the Elite has more capacity around the chassis - but that is pure guess work on my part. Personally, I'd go for the 'bagged wheel' approach as described by Richard.

Good luck

I personally do not know what all the fuss is about,  you have two extra seats on the elite,  stick it on the back seats :P

The Elite S2 Pcd is not 4x100...it is imperial just for the records.

for the tub you have to check whether the space for the exhaust boxes is clear. The layout changed with the brake discs as well