free hit
counters
I'm weak - yes - and I've been bad again... - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I'm weak - yes - and I've been bad again...

Got a strange ticking blowing sound from the rear now - specifically manifold area - can't see anything as it's too hot and the towers obscure the view. I ain't sticking my hand there while it's as hot as it is.

im sure it's blowing from the manifold at the top. Can't see any cracks - maybe it's a stud disappeared ??

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of bits now have arrived - awaiting some stainless bolts. well pleased with the powder coating I picked up today - just sanded off the fins and feeling happy even the old manifold

Chargecooler not stripped enough apparently - and I don’t want it blast cleaned Not sure the missus shared my enthusiasm tonight

Van dropped off for service and a load of warranty work this morning. whipped back home - adjusted exhaust. Checked and double checked everything. connected battery, ignition on and off a fe

Posted Images

Mate - it's proper strange. Really sounds like it - but couldn't find any blows when me and my mate looked this morning. He had keen eyes and spotted a plug lead sparking onto the plate by the turbo - I hadn't seen that. We both concluded the sound sounded like it was coming from under the chargecooler.

now wondering if it's a bad lead. But strangely the car really doesn't sound like it's running on 3 or even running badly - it's a wee bit more uneven - which improved by pulling the lead away from the plate slightly - but this loud ticking/blowy sound was still present......

bstard bstard car a

Only here once

Whip out your hose stethoscope.  You'll soon find it.

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I will go hunting later in the week. I have a few days of grief first.

i am now expecting good news rather than manifold news.....

• Like 1

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...

Nope - I'm right and wrong. Manifold is complete with no holes..... gasket is not so.

what a bitch of a job getting that off is gonna be. Nuts and studs look stainless - but there's a lot of rotted sh1t build up round them. 

That manifold ain't going back on no matter how serviceable it is 

Only here once

4 and one that's snapped makes 5 ....I hate this car so much at times.

I have simply given up - a few hours and I'm so pssed off with the thing.

engines coming out. Gonna do belts, service and manifold whilst giving it a clean and painting the red bits.

Hate is too nice a word

Only here once

And mountings, clutch/flywheel, all hoses...

Did anyone mention fuel tanks?

And since you'll be having the deck off, maybe a nice pair of titanium hinges.

• Haha 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I will confess - I was very close to sacking the whole thing off yesterday and just buying something else.......

Had a new clutch not very long ago - when I did the gearbox.......

Only here once

Exhaust off, driveshafts split, gearbox drained, boot floor removed, crossmember out, mountings undone, exhaust mountings off, gearlinkages disconnected, slave cyclinder off.

exhaust manifold ordered, new belts and service bits on a growing list

• Like 1

Only here once

Alunox all the way - I ain't struggling again with a manifold on this car. The one on there is actually ok I think - but it's a bit of a ticking time bomb and if I've gotta rip the lump out I only want to do it once. Im actually firm that I'm gonna keep this car. I reckon with a stainless manifold it'll sound even better than @swindon_alan trusty v8.

prorata - it's twice as expensive to remove a 4pot lump than a v8 one if you amortise the cost over the cylinders  :lol:

Blue gates belt also on the shopping list. Looking at bits I'm pulling off - I'm gonna be busy painting or sneaking off to the powder coaters.

Only here once