free hit
counters
Esprit JPS interior trimmer recommendation - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit JPS interior trimmer recommendation

HankJPS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Trick will be getting the correct gold material as not easy to locate. The leather is easier to sort, what condition is your trim now? Saving the cloth sections would be helpful if salvageable. V8vantage on here may be able to advise as Roo is very knowledgeable with the JPS. 

IMG_1717.JPG.bbd2f9422a4d6ca1fb394bf5ddc7817f.JPG

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Just flicked through this website,   One of the owners of the white S1 , who went to the actual mill that lotus used back in the day to get the tartan material for the S1 made !    Fabian has a long lost brother Wyn and Fabian must of been seperated at birth lol.   Got to love the fanatical pursuit of origanality with these chaps, outstanding  :thumbup:

• Like 1

A

Wyn Edwards car was a beautiful restoration. He sold it a few years ago iirc. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

14 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Trick will be getting the correct gold material as not easy to locate. The leather is easier to sort, what condition is your trim now? Saving the cloth sections would be helpful if salvageable. V8vantage on here may be able to advise as Roo is very knowledgeable with the JPS. 

IMG_1717.JPG.bbd2f9422a4d6ca1fb394bf5ddc7817f.JPG

Dave  

Thanks Dave, the original cloth material is in surprisingly good condition so I was planning to keep that and replace everything else. The dash leather has lifted and the glove compartment is distorted so needs looking at. The usual old Lotus stuff I guess.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Fulcher is outstanding, he has all of the original patterns and his dad taught him! In case you don't know his father trimmed the Bond car for the spy who loved me and developed the Delorean interior!  I've seen his work and it takes hours of work to get the trim to his standard, he's also a really nice bloke! 

The issue is going to be the gold fabric. There were two types used for the JPS cars. For the UK cars the material is "unobtainable".

I'm sure Steve Fulcher would be able to reclaim the fabric. 

Good luck with the retrim and post some pics when it's all done.

Cheers

Dean

There's a real mystique around the original material in JPS cars, but from what I've seen it's corduroy. Have seen samples and lots of talk but nothing solid to the contrary or contrasting photos of the two supposed different materials. I've only ever seen fabric like in the photo attached below. 

Corduroy is measured in cords or wales [the ridges] per inch. You're in a great position because your car is original so you can count how many wales there are and take that measurement, and a door insert or arm rest to a fabric supplier and compare. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a standard colour.

But is your seat leather in bad condition? Leather restoration can be to a very high standard and it may be nicer to keep as much original as possible. Good luck with it :)

JPS.jpg

• Like 2

You are very lucky to have your original gold material in such good condition, I contacted Steve earlier this year he indicated he might have the gold reproduced sometime in the future. I have searched for this material fo 5 years so far. Close up shot below. Cheers Allan 076

20170314_171955.jpg