free hit
counters
Headlamp switch - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlamp switch

Anyone know where I can source a 'decent' functioning headlamp switch that works and lasts? I've gone through around 5 SJ versions. All of which have broken. They are quite frankly shite. 

regards 

Jon 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Jon,

Are they just physically breaking or do you think that the headlamp current plays a role?  Perhaps installing a relay to carry the high current would help?

Jim

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

Hi mate, 

im pretty sure they are just breaking due to poor quality of the part. Not the biggest headache but a bit of a pain when you need to drive in the dark! I've got one from SJs and a spare to keep in the boot along with my reserve throttle cable! 

Regards 

Do you mean the switch to turn them on and off or the stalk for high low beam? 

If its the on/off switch , its a very simple sliding copper contact with a spring. You should be able to take it apart and clean with contact cleaner. 

Unless of course you actually broke it.

:) 

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM

I have been through three switches. I think that the earlier cars which have all four lights on on both dipped and high beam put too much current through the switch. On mine the black plastic internals which press the copper strips down to close the connections, melted. But the aftermarket plastic ones are also not as well made - the plastic bits which press the copper switches are thinner and break more easily. I managed to find a genuine new switch recently which is much better quality than the cheap repro I had before. all in all, I would add additional relays to reduce the current (or get an auto electrician to do it?)? and keep an eye on ebay for an original switch.

• Like 1

New one on me Steve,  as far as i am aware the esprit has never had all four lights on ?  I think it was a conversion that folks did to make it look a bit more cool to have four lights on when dipped :ermm:  I could be completely wrong but this is always what i have been told regarding the lights,  

A

• Gold FFM

As far as I know, early cars had all four on. It then became a legal requirement in the UK to only have two dipped and then four main? I might be wrong though - mine has been modified a fair amount in its time!

Henry may be right then about the early cars having all four lights on  :)  My 85 esprit does not, sadly my other two earlier cars never even came with headlight bowls just empty pods :(   I just remember seeing plenty of threads about folks wanting all four lights working and a mod was shown, knowing my S3 never ones do not all come on, I thought all models had been like this.  Will look at doing this i think as it always looks a bit odd to me with just the outer ones on alone :)

A

Not sure when they changed but earlier cars such as my 82 have the outer lights controlled by the switch and the inners slaved off these via a main beam relay and a dipped beam relay. So they are all on when main or dipped but this can be modified by pulling out either or both inner light relays.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The switch is a Lucas part isn't it?

• The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
  • Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire