free hit
counters
Carburetor balancing - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony K

Carburetor balancing

Quick question about the UniSyn carburetor balancer (shown in photo):

With all other factors being the same, on some of the cylinders it bounces a little, and on others it hovers more smoothly. What does this mean?

unisyn.jpg

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Quick question about the UniSyn carburetor balancer (shown in photo):

With all other factors being the same, on some of the cylinders it bounces a little, and on others it hovers more smoothly. What does this mean?

unisyn.jpg

Thanks,

Tony

Hello Tony,

Can be false air or the valve clearance is not correct if the balancer sometimes bounce. Worse case one valve is burned.

Can also be simple that one cylinder take the other in its stream and need so fine tuning.(if it indeed bounces a little)

Cheers,

Jean

personally I don't think those unisyn carb balancers are very reliable. And I'm not sure they are useful at all for checking that the throttle cables are also properly synchronised.

Here's a clever idea, I would think this would work on a dual carbed car just as well:

http://www.airheads.org/index.php?option=c...w=1&start=2

Tony,

If you have vacuum ports that are accssible on your carbs, you could also try this:

Large vacuum gauge, vacuum tubing, a small conical shaped rubber piece to fit the hose to the ports, some type of vacuum accumulator to null out the rapid needle movement, I use a fuel injection fuel filter.

This will allow you to monitor each port and adjust it for the same vacuum reading. It would be ideal to have 4 of each item, and monitor all ports @ the same time.

Lee

Thanks everyone for the replies! :lol:

Jean had the answer I was looking for; they balance fine (I start with the UniSyn and then turn the idle down real low and fine tune it by ear) -- I'm just trying to figure out why the thing bounces a little on two of the four cylinders. It has been 6k miles since the valve clearances were last checked; at that time, the head was off, so I got to verify that none were burned, the seats looked good, etc. However, I did not have to change any shims then, so maybe it's just getting to be time . . . I'll check it out . . . . when the weather warms up!

Thanks again for the ideas!

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE