free hit
counters
6th gear is dead - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

6th gear is dead

32 minutes ago, Hedgehogfromhell said:

With the advice of a friend i've written to Lotus Customer Support to see whether they think that a gearbox should fail like this at 78,000mi.  If nothing else it will give a good understanding of their mindset regarding the cars.  

Still waiting on Hangar111 and Essex Autosport to come back with a quote.  Currently the car is sat 450mi away and i'm not going to be able to get on with anything until the end of the month due to work commitments.   Apparently 111 are now quoting £900 for the replacement of a clutch on an Exige - which would be promising.....

Really infuriating due to the fact this is my daily driver, not a second car.  It's never been an issue before but it might be time to get a banger to run alongside.  

Just came across this thread. Sorry for you Simon.

A link to my thread on my similar "experience" has already been added by Jonny (Bravo73).

Good luck with Customer Support. My car was a newer, ex-Lotus car, with 40,000 kms on the clock and half of the mileage done by them and they refused to make any goodwill contribution... I was not impressed. Maybe you are luckier as you are closer to them. <_<

You are certainly more mechanically focused than myself, so I do not want to sound pretentious or tell you what to do but, having followed other's advise myself, I would advise against driving the car with the box as it is currently.

Getting to the clutch/gearbox seems to be also more expensive in the Evora than in the Exige and the most significant part of the invoice. I bet if you can do part of the dismantling work, you will significantly reduce the cost. I was told that parts had been re-engineered and gears 3rd through 6th were replaced as part of the work, even though the failure, in my case, was due to 4th-5th gear.

All in all I took advantage of the situation to replace the clutch and cables and my gearbox is now much better than before, though.

Hope you will leave this behind and be able to enjoy the car soon.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
5 hours ago, Bibs said:

You're welcome to my Impreza if you're in a fix mate, I don't really use it?

I appreciate the offer mate but I don't have many movements coming up that can't be sorted out otherwise luckily. 

Arregueti, yeah the car is parked and hasn't moved since this occurred. I'm expecting a similar outcome to you - although the mere fact that I clearly had work performed on the 'box prior to it failing may offer a slight glimmer. 

At the moment I seem to be swinging through days with a "fix it and keep it" and "get rid and move on" mood unfortunately. 

Hope you get a better outcome than myself from your discussions with the factory. Hopefully the situation in the factory is changing for the better since I had the issue.

I know the feeling. In my case it came in the worse possible moment, too, going through a divorce, and it was just an act of determination/ statement of manhood to have the car fixed. I am happy I did it, now. :)

Fingers crossed for you.

6 hours ago, Hedgehogfromhell said:

Still waiting on Hangar111 and Essex Autosport to come back with a quote.  Currently the car is sat 450mi away and i'm not going to be able to get on with anything until the end of the month due to work commitments.   Apparently 111 are now quoting £900 for the replacement of a clutch on an Exige - which would be promising.....

Hi Simon.

I've not seen your enquiry, but I'll ask and see if I can locate it.

It sounds like you continued to drive the car despite some bad sounding noises?

With regard to the Exige clutch, you can just about get the 'box off the Exige with the engine in - this is not possible on the Evora, rear clam off and the whole lot has to come out.

Dave

That's clear. For clarity I have had to hire a car to get to where I am currently and the car is parked in Kent so there's not an additional 450mi of devastation post event - I have recovery available to get it to whomever will be repairing. 

15 minutes ago, Hedgehogfromhell said:

That's clear. For clarity I have had to hire a car to get to where I am currently and the car is parked in Kent so there's not an additional 450mi of devastation post event - I have recovery available to get it to whomever will be repairing. 

Is it greater than zero miles of devastation?!

Dave