free hit
counters
6th gear is dead - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

6th gear is dead

So en route to the festival today I had a loud whirr followed by a crunch and then poof! 6th was gone!

I'm assuming the bearing and possibly the  layshaft that hold 6th have died a bit of a death - has anyone priced up this sort of repair? 

• Sad 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That didn't stop your car looking pretty special and sounding lovely when you drove past us on the A12 on the way home!

Always nice to have two Evoras together.

Greg

• Thanks 1

Once it's going it's pretty quiet until I have to change gear!  1-5 is totally fine. 

My new exhaust helps, fabricated at Fast Road Conversions this morning ? 

The 400 was making a lovely noise! Nice to be reminded of how it looks from the outside compared to the other cars too!

5/6 failing is a common one with these right?  There was a revised gearbox/gearset as a result of poor treatment work on the early S1s or something?  I've only heard of people swapping out the entire gearbox though.  In the UK maybe you can actually get the original Toyota part that we can't get here in the states?

It isn't by any means a 'common occurrence' but this certainly isn't a lone incident. If you're concerned, change the gearbox oil and run the old oil through some filter paper. Any sign of metal particles means that your gearbox might have an issue. 

• Like 1

i had read somewhere about the lotus 4-6th  gear ratios not being hardened correctly...  

the cr gearbox was a must for me, personally i didnt like the spread of teh standard ones..

It's been quoted at c.£3000-£3500 to renew 6th.  Quite frankly i don't have that money.  I've decided that regardless of the outcome of the quotes coming in i'll be most likely stripping the car down at home via VSI guidance and some friends taking photos/helping (so we know how to put it back together again - one is a race mech and the other has done loads of engine work at home) and pulling the engine.  Once it's out i'll either split it myself and send the 'box on for reconditioning or send it as a power unit and take the hit there. 
I literally had done 5 miles since my new exhaust had been fabricated and fitted.  I enjoyed about 20 minutes of trouble free lotus motoring and without warning a single light load, cruise control enabled gear change has buggered me. 

I came close to WBAC out of anger yesterday evening. 

As for the problem itself - i'd done the research prior to buying, seen that it only seemed to occur in launch cars (bearings failed on 4 cars in the US i'd noticed and on a few Toyota cars too) and saw the clutch as a bigger concern than the gearset in the MY2011 range (any potential buyer reading this, that statement is clearly incorrect).  My car did suffer an oil leak c.December last year that was traced to a nylon plug and the seal at the gear change lever input but that was rectified under warranty and 'no oil was lost' from the overall amount in the box - i took that to say that it had been overfilled in the past. 

It will be interesting to say the least when i drain the gearbox oil.  It'll be done on video and the amount will be counted to affirm if this is/was the case.  

I'll post the video up shortly - its got a lot of swarf going around in there and sounds like children rummaging through Lego. 

• Like 1

How was the Womens Business Assistance Centre going to help you? :getmecoat: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

taken from this usa thread

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/4th-5th-gear-failure-289913/

"Lotus changed the CR gearing from VIN CHxxx10452 onwards to B132xxx and later the specific 4/5th gear identified in the video as problematic from PN B132F0047F to B132F0160F which is used in current production Evoras and Exige V6's "

maybe usa vin codes as mines nothing like chxxx

Edited by andyj007

2 minutes ago, Hedgehogfromhell said:

We were going to sit around and bitch about how unreliable men and their cars are whilst drinking lots of tea...

:hrhr:

Hope you can get it all fixed up Simon.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Cheers Andy. That's actually one of the original threads I read during my "what can go epically wrong" research. Thanks for the quote. 

My friends are asking about the sequentials like true petrolheads and trying to tell me "upgrade a part so it doesn't die again" as you would expect. Another is saying get the gearset dogged lol. Helpful bunch. 

theres some pics in that thread, guy stripped his out and back over two weekends...  

when was your car registered? or do the vin codes match. might get lucky if they matched and get some assistance from lotus?

surely if they were a bad batch they would be holding their supplies/fabricators to liability...   just a thought...

funny that 6th went, doubt you used that too much on track days..  odd

• Like 1

01/01/2011 was my registration date according to the paperwork from Lipscomb.

Youre 100% right - it's never got a look in on track - even at Silverstone GP I only made it to 5th, 6th has only ever been used In conjunction with the cruise control on motorways. 

It's failed literally bang on 78,000mi. 

these guys will re condition it for 1290 euro..(you to remove)   so must be cheaper uk options?  

http://www.jubu-performance.com/de/lotus/evora/evora/getriebe__differentiale-192

• Gold FFM

Ain't this a Toyota gearbox out of an auris diesel or something ? If so probably easily obtained and realistically priced. With a lotus tag it'd be 3 times the price 

These guys any use ?

http://www.dee-ltd.co.uk/powertrain/ea62.html

Only here once

It's an EA60 from the Avensis to name but one application. The D4 150 is close in ratio to a standard 'box. Mine has the CR 'box fitted which has custom lotus ratios fitted to 3/4/5/6.

With the advice of a friend i've written to Lotus Customer Support to see whether they think that a gearbox should fail like this at 78,000mi.  If nothing else it will give a good understanding of their mindset regarding the cars.  

Still waiting on Hangar111 and Essex Autosport to come back with a quote.  Currently the car is sat 450mi away and i'm not going to be able to get on with anything until the end of the month due to work commitments.   Apparently 111 are now quoting £900 for the replacement of a clutch on an Exige - which would be promising.....

Really infuriating due to the fact this is my daily driver, not a second car.  It's never been an issue before but it might be time to get a banger to run alongside.  

You're welcome to my Impreza if you're in a fix mate, I don't really use it?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.