free hit
counters
KOMOTEC front service panel installation problems - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

KOMOTEC front service panel installation problems

Here is a warning for anyone thinking of buying the carbon fibre front service panel from Komotec for their Exige V6.  

I contacted them before buying and "Sascha" advised that it is a very simple install. I outlined I had a V6, not a cup, 350 or 380. 

The front clam arrived and is well made etc. Just one problem.... The front clam has to be removed to undo the bolts holding the black plastic trim on either side of the original service panel. My dealer has quoted a full day's work to do this. 

I have contacted Komotec and had no response. They were fast to respond when taking the order, but no comment when asking for help. 

Please keep this in mind if you are thinking of ordering the panel. 

20170905_214242.jpg

2015 Orange Exige V6

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They seem to be out of office, reading their FB page... in any case, maybe you should precise the title of the subject, and put it in the right category ?. It looks like there is a problem (bankruptcy or other) with the company itself ?!

• Bibs changed the title to KOMOTEC front service panel installation problems

Title has been changed and topic has been moved. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Bibs locked and unlocked this topic
10 minutes ago, Steve Banks said:

My last topic warning of the crappy fold out key that I paid 400 euros for was removed as well. I can understand you want to look after your sponsors but this is crap.

Now, now, Steve. It didn't happen like that, did it? I hid your original post re the key in order to give you a chance to contact Thomas directly and try to resolve the issue. How did that go?

I can reinstate your original post if you'd like. 

9 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Now, now, Steve. It didn't happen like that, did it? I hid your original post re the key in order to give you a chance to contact Thomas directly and try to resolve the issue. How did that go?

I can reinstate your original post if you'd like. 

I removed this post before you posted this. I contacted Thomas and heard nothing back. I guess the general rule of thumb is that when you work with 3rd party suppliers you have to be careful. 

Please just delete this entire topic, it's lost all meaning now. 

2015 Orange Exige V6

4 hours ago, Steve Banks said:

I removed this post before you posted this. I contacted Thomas and heard nothing back. I guess the general rule of thumb is that when you work with 3rd party suppliers you have to be careful. 

Please just delete this entire topic, it's lost all meaning now. 

I never received your mail, so good that we just hooked up via FB. So, now I can fix it.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, since i had to take the car in to my lotus dealer to get them to do it and it took them around 2 hours, I would say a 6-7. Basically both front wheels off, lift the car, move some bits out of the way and unbolt the plastic bits. Once they are off, the fitting of the new front panel takes 5 minutes - simply transfer the large bolt and two little lugs from your existing panel in to the new one and off you go. 

2015 Orange Exige V6

If two hours is a 6-7 on your scale wait until you have something more serious on your Lotus. You'd be way off the scale to 10!

BTW in Germany taking the car to the dealer would not be considered a work task, that is always the first option.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I've done alot to my car, komotec wing, TVS1900, Suspension, Carbon Fibre everywhere, SSC Double din touchscreen stereo upgrade, lightweight battery, Xenon headlights and so on.

The reason I put it at 6-7 is because I was told it was just a straight swap. Having to drive my car to the dealer, late for work, etc etc puts it at a 6-7. I agree if you did it yourself and you are good with cars, its much easier. If you are not a mechanic and need someone to do it for you, then I consider it a pain in the ass. 

2015 Orange Exige V6

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this on how to get the above black bits off?  I see that I can get to them via the wheel wells; any tips?  Got my 380 panel all happy and stuff laying around (awaiting M5 countersunk bolt to show up; the oem fixings are secured with M4 bolts...) so I'm planning on installing my front access panel in a few days.

Will do a DIY; but for the time being, all tips/tricks/advice is appreciated!

Just a quick update on my side.

Fitment is really easy.  Remove wheels, remove wheel well.  Remove plastic trim screwed from beneath the clam with 4 Philips screws on each side.  Fit new access panel.  Refit wheel wells and wheels.  Done.

Pictures here: 

Edited by Kristof Thys
  • Like 1