free hit
counters
Supercharger belt replacement? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NathR

Supercharger belt replacement?

NathR    3

My two year service is coming up and the main dealer has advised I change the belt, an additional cost of £264 on top of the £450 service charge. :o

My car has (tragically) only done 3600 miles so don't think it's necessary. Does anyone else have this changed every two years?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
French Frie    314

nope ... I've got my car serviced last month for its two years (and 30,000 kms !) interval, and  the belt was not replaced !  I don't think it is mentioned in the 2 years service list ... 

Arun_D    340

Olivier is correct. If I recall correctly, aux belt condition is inspected in yr3 officially, but any servicing provider worth their salt would inspect when your car goes in anyhow.

French Frie    314

yep, mine was inspected and declared good for use ... brake fluid was replaced every year, though, even if I don't really track the car (RBF600) :) ! and brake pads are still good (I've got spare ones in the boot, just in case, in order not to be sticked at the other end of the country) ...

• Like 1

My car is due for its 2nd year service next April and will probably only have covered 6k miles so i was wondering the same thing.

I plan to take it to Allon White and on their website it says every 2 years. Seems a bit excessive for a belt although I do know it sees more action due to the running of the supercharger.I will be asking if it does really need to be changed if still in good condition.

I do know that they can start to squeal when they are on the way out but that sometimes can be the tensioner not tensioned properly?

Matt

Edited by Composite guru

NathR    3

Thanks for the feedback.:)

To be fair the service book does mention it being changed after two years but given the mileage I think I'll ask for it to not be changed this time.

Think I'll be steering away from my main dealer after the warranty period though, seems very expensive and they weren't as helpful as I think they could've been when I had a brake fluid issue last year. <_<

Hangar 111    113
1 hour ago, NathR said:

Thanks for the feedback.:)

To be fair the service book does mention it being changed after two years but given the mileage I think I'll ask for it to not be changed this time.

Think I'll be steering away from my main dealer after the warranty period though, seems very expensive and they weren't as helpful as I think they could've been when I had a brake fluid issue last year. <_<

Don't forget your local-ish friendly independant is an official service centre and can do all service, warranty, recall work... :)

Dave

chumaxa    13

14k on mine, no mention of the supercharger belt, but I had the aux bet replaced after 2 and a half years. 

• Like 1

NathR    3
On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:53, Hangar 111 said:

Don't forget your local-ish friendly independant is an official service centre and can do all service, warranty, recall work... :)

Dave

Don't worry Dave, it's you I have in mind 'after the warranty period'. Was very satisfied with dealing with you on my S2 Exige (albeit only a years ownership). I know you are an official Lotus centre but I always had it in mind to stay with the main dealer during the first 3 years, can't really justify why though now if I'm honest.

Seriouslylotus    241
On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:22, chumaxa said:

14k on mine, no mention of the supercharger belt, but I had the aux bet replaced after 2 and a half years. 

One and the same belt....

chumaxa    13
23 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

One and the same belt....

That's how much I know about the supercharger :D Still they said I was better to change mine at that point, engine was out.

21gg    132

my evora has just had its 2yr service, no belt change, just inspection.

gav