free hit
counters
TVR shows new car - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

TVR shows new car

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Edit: I originally posted this as a separate thread - had not seen Advantage's post - mods have merged - thanks guys.

I was vaguely aware it was coming but this crept up on me.

seeHERE

I'm now interested to see the outcome. Gordon Murray involvement. Cosworth N/A V8 pushing 480bhp. Around 1200kg. Performance claims you might expect from around 400bhp/tonne.

I'm hoping it is good - always had a soft spot for TVR but never been brave enough to own one.... ?

Edited by mik

Had totally forgotten about this !  I remember a few years folks putting down a deposit for the car,  It was all a bit up in the air,  To be honest i did not think it would ever happen,  It is nice to see the return of the TVR  though. :)

A

• Gold FFM

I like the numbers of this car but the more I see of the design the less it appeals. To me a TVR should always be a convertible or targa top. Styling of this one looks quite restrained by TVR standards too.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

A lot of people bashing the design render, saying if it looks like that it is going to bomb,  but it must be the hard for the designer as he was told to keep a lot of aspects of the old tvr designs,   very hard to give a new visual appeal without loosing the old tvr fan base,  that coupled with a 90k price tag is going to hard going.  but i wish them well,   looking forward to the unveiling to see what she actually is going to look like :)

A

• Gold FFM

I guess the problem of keeping to TVR's "old" designs is which era you go for? They have so many. The early cars seem to be a primary reference. I would have preferred a more Sagaris-style of lunacy.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Seems a bit pricy to me.  Let's hope it hasn't priced it's self out of the market.  Reminds me of similar British sports car projects that started with much optimism, like the Caterham 21 and Bristol Fighter.

Not convinced releasing the render just a couple of days before the real thing was a good move. Unless it's to soften people if for the look of the car which they themselves are questioning? For one I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh tomorrow. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

• Gold FFM

I love this forum, but this thread did make me chuckle out loud - the standout comment, "seems a bit expensive" - seems to me that maybe this forum has come to expect everything on the cheap as "everything" seems to be met with "seems a bit expensive to me" whether it be a 32 year old Esprit for restoration; running an Esprit V8; early Evora's, or any of the new offerings in the last 2 years from Lotus that has a V6 engine in it.

As for the design, I quite like it. If you look at the size compared to the older TVR I think it could well be quite special.  A lot of the problem with today's "fast" new cars is that they are so freakin' big - GTR's, R8's, Lambo's etc - they are freakin' huge and too big for the UK roads to be driven hard and with enjoyment unless you are speeding down a boring dual or motorway.

Good luck TVR and good luck British Engineering. We need more like this please.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

who was the designer?  its not gordon murray, he does everything else, like the mclaren f1 Peter stevens visualy designed the F1.

gordon murray is god so whatever his company is involved is going to be well thought out, & work...  if it looks half decent then great.

personally i think murray will be designing  his own, hes often said he has one more car in him, and i read recently this may be sooner than later..i hope it will be a lightweight affordable sports car, like elise, exige, or even evora size, (look at the yamaha sports ride concept) rather than a full blown out of my price league super car 

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/showroom/event/tokyo-motorshow-2015/exhibitionmodels/sportsride/

he just needs to keep it priced for the masses not the wealthy.. keep it simple, elise, exige size... and 40-45k max and it work for me :)

21317422_1906108209405805_62612941675783

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

As always I will wait until I see it in person but not keen on what I've seen so far. This isn't just a pro Lotus thing, I am a former TVR owner so am a big fan of their back catalogue.

Electric steering?! Why?!

• Gold FFM

At £90k with a V8 engine and looking like this, I think Lotus should be worried.  Interior is a bit meh to me, too fussy. To be honest that dash layout and finish is nowhere near as good as the Evora S1 from Launch.  It's boxy with stuff seemingly just stuck on like those awful smartie tubes used for the TC buttons.  

From the side could easily be mistaken for a Toyota GT86 and from afar a Ginetta G20.

However, at £90k, with that engine, as I said, Lotus should be worried as this would take sales away from the Evora, or rather it won't, as I've just realised it does not have 2 utterly useless rear seats like the Evora, so it must therefore be crap as only a +0!   lol........

TVR1.jpg

TVR2.jpg

TVR3.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Looks like a Ginetta to me.

I like the side exit exhaust though but Vipers always had problems managing heat away from the occupants, will be interesting to see TVR's solution.

The render had nicer headlights. Looks a bit Ford Scorpio from the front.

Nothing close to the visual statement the Sagaris made when it was launched. TVR being conservative? Not sure that was such a good idea.

Extra photos here. Looks good and meh from certain angles but you have to admit it is so cool to see the TVR and Griffith badge back on a car. And with a reliable motor this time!

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-coverage/goodwood-revival/2017/9/the-new-tvr-griffith--everything-you-need-to-know/

2 minutes ago, The Pits said:

TVR being conservative? Not sure that was such a good idea.

They can't win in this regard.. The TVR die-hards want a Sagaris 2, but it was the classic looking Chimaera and Griffith which actually sold lots of cars.

• Gold FFM

Air vents look familiar.

Will probably like it more in the flesh but am only half-sold on the exterior, and not at all on the interior. Should be fast though.

My biggest issue - why is it a coupe? To me being a convertible is an integral part of the TVR "DNA" of which they are so fond.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I am not potential buyer, but I do hope that they make it available with steering wheel on the left side.

If they don't, they will miss whole lot of potential marketing area.

"Older I get, faster I was"

2 hours ago, Inkyfingers said:

Front and side look OK, but I don't like the back at all.

I still hope they sell like hot cakes.

Back is my favourite bit. :)

The design is far from ugly, but less dramatic than I had hoped.

I hate that they've called it Griffith : why TF can't new things be new things in the automotive world these days? :angry:

Interested in the side exit exhausts - I assume it must be one bank per exit so will sound interesting. (I was expecting an x-pipe to mix the flows as is more conventional (and helps scavenging) with the exits at the rear of course). I believe the Morgan aero8 does Similar.

I still have a soft spot for TVR - really hope they can sell enough to stay alive.

Edited by mik