free hit
counters
Backdating an S3 - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

1 minute ago, skiing said:

Those are lovely - there are set of those (polished) on an S2 in Japan... is that your inspiration? It can be found on this picture thread... http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/11/event_gt_gt_lotus_day_japan_2011_pt_1/

Hi Henry,

Close but no cigar, the wheels on that car are Hayashi Racing wheels from Japan.  Very nice, but very expensive and not available in the correct offsets so spacers would be required.  They were another option I was looking at.

They also have flat centres, the Campagnolos have a proper dished look on the back.

Cheers

Darren

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Funny that, I was going to go down exactly the same path with those wheels from Group 4. I even photoshopped them in. It will be interesting to see how you get on. I wanted to go 8" at the front and Group 4 simply couldn't supply them for the forseeable future (at the time) despite them being advertised. The website looks good but I was put off by the communication, or rather lack of it. Perhaps he has them now but I already took a different path. As for whoever said redrilling hubs to 4 stud should be easy. It's impossible unless you don't mind one of the new holes having an overlap with the old holes and that's only at the rear. It's utterly impossible on the front dues to the design of the hub. BTW, I priced up a set of replacement hubs as they cannot simply be swapped from an older style chassis to the later one. A new set was about 1000€ when I last priced them up. Ouch. Unless you have a deep set of pockets, I think your idea to stick to 5 stud wheels is spot on. Regards the ride height, I went 10mm lower on the suspension and there are spacers between the body and the rear of the chassis. They can be removed but they must have been there for a reason. Not sure what but I guess I'll find out soon!!   

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

So my car is missing the spacers on the front where the body attaches to the chassis (but they are on the back) - this is probably from when it was crashed in the 80s and the front (badly) grafted on. It does make it look lower at the front but it also means I get wheel rub (standard wheels and tires) when heavily laden (two people plus luggage) and driving fast - e.g. on country roads, the tires touch the tops of the arches. This is with completely re-built suspension including bushes, shocks, springs etc.

10 hours ago, nic996 said:

Funny that, I was going to go down exactly the same path with those wheels from Group 4. I even photoshopped them in. It will be interesting to see how you get on. I wanted to go 8" at the front and Group 4 simply couldn't supply them for the forseeable future (at the time) despite them being advertised. The website looks good but I was put off by the communication, or rather lack of it. Perhaps he has them now but I already took a different path. As for whoever said redrilling hubs to 4 stud should be easy. It's impossible unless you don't mind one of the new holes having an overlap with the old holes and that's only at the rear. It's utterly impossible on the front dues to the design of the hub. BTW, I priced up a set of replacement hubs as they cannot simply be swapped from an older style chassis to the later one. A new set was about 1000€ when I last priced them up. Ouch. Unless you have a deep set of pockets, I think your idea to stick to 5 stud wheels is spot on. Regards the ride height, I went 10mm lower on the suspension and there are spacers between the body and the rear of the chassis. They can be removed but they must have been there for a reason. Not sure what but I guess I'll find out soon!!   

Hi Nic,

I know what you mean, it took a couple of calls to get hold of him.  The wheels are apparently made to order but he keeps the blanks in stock.

I'm sticking with the BBS for now anyhow.

Cheers

Darren

Hi All,

Got a few hours on the car today.

I started trying to fit the rear bumper but it turns out that fitting an S2 bumper to an S3 isn't as straightforward as I'd hoped, so I gave up on that for now.  Details to follow...

Instead I focused on the offside.  Stuck on the Esprit badge, the side stripes and the Giugiaro badge, fitted the mirror and the intake ear, and swapped the all-black door handle for a black and chrome one.  I think the ears are from an S3 Turbo and may be slightly bigger than the S2 versions, not sure.  I need to give the rear quarter window bezel a coat of satin black

20171012_142700.thumb.jpg.b22bb67a936b4a98a2602f2d240f1a1a.jpg20171012_142711.thumb.jpg.e893fc6b404782382f489d25bf826179.jpg

Cheers

Darren

20 hours ago, skiing said:

So my car is missing the spacers on the front where the body attaches to the chassis (but they are on the back) - this is probably from when it was crashed in the 80s and the front (badly) grafted on. It does make it look lower at the front but it also means I get wheel rub (standard wheels and tires) when heavily laden (two people plus luggage) and driving fast - e.g. on country roads, the tires touch the tops of the arches. This is with completely re-built suspension including bushes, shocks, springs etc.

There were no spacers on the front of the body on my car, although it was also in a front end crash at some point as well. I am not aware that there are any spacers ever fitted to the front but I'd be interested to know if anyone else can chip in?   Not that they will go back in there anyway ;) 

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

On 13-10-2017 at 08:42, nic996 said:

There were no spacers on the front of the body on my car, although it was also in a front end crash at some point as well. I am not aware that there are any spacers ever fitted to the front but I'd be interested to know if anyone else can chip in?   Not that they will go back in there anyway ;) 

Hi Nic nice you'r still around. I had spacers on my 85 front, sj list them as "A082C4069F INSULATOR (between top of spring and top cap)" I replaced them with an 1mm thick teflon shim to make the front lower.

I mean the spacers between the chassis and body itself where the body mounts to the chassis. I have spacers on the rear (about an inch thick I think) but none on the front. The rubber spacers on the top of the suspension will also lower the car if swapped as well.

Very sophisticated! The colours of your tools match with those of the car. The esprit badge beside the fuel fillers is missing the 'S2'. Very nice project.

Lutz

Looking great now - love the S2 look personally. A set of original S2 alloys would finish the look perfectlyB-)

• Like 1

On ‎15‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 22:02, lotus-62 said:

Hi Nic nice you'r still around. I had spacers on my 85 front, sj list them as "A082C4069F INSULATOR (between top of spring and top cap)" I replaced them with an 1mm thick teflon shim to make the front lower.

HI Rick, I'm still hanging in there! The garage build is taking longer than I thought. Yes I was talking about spacers between the chassis and the body. I don't think they exist at the front. As for the spring insulator, I just got rid of them. I believe they may have been inserted for vibration damping. Its a sports car, a bit of vibration won't harm ;)

PS, loving the S2 bumpers Darren! Starting to really come together.

Edited by nic996

Transformed!! very very nice indeed.

Superb!!  The S2 Esprit is offically the best looking Esprit, so you've made the right decision.  You've got the benefits of the S3 galvanised chassis and rear suspenions, but you don't have the big (ugly) federal bumpers.  I do wish Lotus had kept the S1 bumpers on all Giugiaro cars, as the car looked perfect with them.  And Ferrari kept the same smaller bumpers all throught the 80s on the 308GTB. 

The ride height on your car seems higher than the S2, I guess it was increased to meet federal fender height regulations.  Can you get it lowered to the S2 height?

• Like 1

Just catching up with this thread, excellent stuff.  B-) The iron cross wheels would be utter perfection but hey its your dollar.

Get those black bits on, including the rear number plate surround.

Colour coding, pah, thats so 30 years ago.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Nice to see someone going S2 on a later car, can't wait to see it sitting on it's new suspension!

How about an update on this beauty?   You have exactly my idea even the color! I have some esprit stuff and want to do this, or something very similar, I just found this thread and it is like you a building my car!

Hello Darren,

That's a knockout car you're putting together, and yellow is one of my favourite colours for Esprit!

Which yellow is it that you have chosen?