free hit
counters
Backdating an S3 - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

A little more progress.  I've degreased and cleaned up the engine bay and the chassis is thankfully in  really good nick so no problems there...

29.jpg.a13d823997cb06ecccbe9fb6ba46df58.jpg

...new foam padding under the new alloy tanks...

30.jpg.edd10f5c27aba7c58df3274bae528ede.jpg31.jpg.8ec6e10586dd903bb87e62799ca5ccf4.jpg

...and they're now in place...

32.jpg.7278fb5f1d253d7bc39f8b4021f13fe9.jpg33.jpg.dbd71481a5dfef937fac686211e1db0e.jpg

The gearbox mounts were OK but there's no point going this far and not replacing them, so...

34.jpg.2cb57abd1aa6a26a18115050ab8acfb1.jpg

The engine mounts were shot so they'll be replaced too.

I also started to fit the Lotusbits coilovers on the back.  I did the fronts some time ago and they were very straightforward, however I can't see how the spring cup and retaining ring (at the top of the photo) are supposed to work with the standard spring mount which has its own retaining ring sized for the standard rubber top mount (at the bottom in the photo).  Any ideas?  I've been in touch with Lotusbits but no response to my phone calls or email, not for the first time ...

28.jpg.2daad671916a2b3973f41e45bfadc17b.jpg

I may just get a new top mount machined up to fit onto the exiting spring retainer, sized down to take the new spring.

Cheers

Darren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does the spring fit ok in the rubber top mount ?   If so just delete the metal bit,  just fit the shock, spring and rubber top mount :thumbup:


A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/07/2019 at 12:25, silverfrost said:

Does the spring fit ok in the rubber top mount ?   If so just delete the metal bit,  just fit the shock, spring and rubber top mount :thumbup:

Hi Dan,

I'm afraid not, the rubber is sized for the original spring which has a larger diameter than the new one.

I got hold of Lotusbits though and they reckon I've used the rear spring platforms on the front, but the front spring platforms won't fit at the rear, so it looks like this one is down to me...  I'll have take the front apart and have a look but fingers crossed.

Cheers

Darren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad news Darren,    that sounds pants,  never used the AVO on the rear of an esprit,   always used protech on all four corners of my S3, but did get an Avo set up from Lotusbits for front of the s2 project car which i was using a stevens chassis and suspension for it so all a bit mis match lol

Gutted for you regarding the mount not fitting,  Surely Mike at Lotusbits will sort this out and steer you in the right direction, he is normally pretty good at that, rather than machine one up yourself ?

 

 


A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

I sorted out the suspension today, I mentioned before that I'd fitted the front coilovers some time ago and Lotusbits reckoned I'd used the spring retainers designed for the rear at the wrong end of the car.  There was only one way to find out.  I think the car-tinkering Gods were punishing me for failing to take pictures at the time.

I remembered that getting the fronts in was a bit of a nightmare.  There was no room for spring compressors so the only way to gain the room required was to undo the bottom suspension link where it joins the trunnion.  I also had to undo the anti-roll bar mounts to get enough 'droop' on the bottom links, but for that the fans had to come out...

35.jpg.94b593fa4056ab73921d32b4720c9621.jpg

...once that was done I could wrestle the spring retainers out.

So I now had three parts for each side of the car (the spring retainer removed from the front is at the bottom)...

36.jpg.43bcd76133a29b1e7c1a1276d2965481.jpg

My thinking when I assembled the fronts was this; the black spring retainer fit nicely inside the black spring cup...

37.jpg.de53aa7d80abb0c4d0579a46f2d959b3.jpg

...but the other one didn't...

38.jpg.2af479bf5f1273080e5a74129bd3bad7.jpg

Both spring retainers would sit in the factory front mounts but the spring cups wouldn't, so because the spring cups and black retainers fitted together they must be for the rear, right?  Wrong.  It turns out the spring cups are not required on my car.

The rear retainers slide nicely over the factory mounts but these welds sit proud and would cause a problem...

39.jpg.78beac8c17e29bfab01e347aae354f21.jpg

... but the tops of the spring retainers are chamfered so not an issue...

40.jpg.133cbd884cb3c879e464a3a59d903a2a.jpg

With everything reassembled the fronts look like this...

41.jpg.be3a6ce7e1cac7f0707053f3d64eff8b.jpg

...and the rears look like this...

42.jpg.e7cd8575f523f77eaaf9e9fd69660898.jpg

I'm planning a full suspension rebuild and tidy up as a separate, future exercise.  So for now, sorted.

In other news, with the new cambelt in place I could safely do a compression test, but both the starter motors I have are knackered so I had to wait for another one.  I bought an aftermarket high-torque one from SJS but more on that later.

Things started well with a healthy 170 PSI on 1 and 2.  3 was a bit down (but still within spec) at 150 and I could live with that if the other 3 were OK, but 4 is only at about 100 PSI.  That, coupled with the amount of water in the oil, makes the head gasket the prime suspect.  As the car has been sitting I'd hoped that the water in the sump could be blamed on condensation, but realistically I thought that condensation would be sitting in a separate layer to the oil.  The mayonnaise effect pointed to the oil and water being emulsified, and that means the water must have been in there when the engine was running.

So it looks like all the new parts (belts etc.) I put on the engine will have to come off again so I can pull the head.  Still, at least it'll be easier with the engine out of the car!

Cheers

Darren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

I haven't been able to spend any time on the Esprit for a few weeks but yesterday I summoned the courage to get the engine onto a stand (again) so I could get the head off in order to investigate the poor compression on cylinders 3 & 4.  Prime suspect was the head gasket.

I've done a few head gaskets in my time but I wouldn't claim to be an expert, however I think it's quite clear that this one is past its best...

43.jpg.0886452258320a9c424b57dd8addeca8.jpg

...removing the gasket revealed a nice coating of rusty deposits on the water jacket...

44.jpg.5536b95c347b7b5c4a8acbbbc5931bfd.jpg

45.jpg.c31ccd701d6fa0cc77bb86f487da2149.jpg

...I guess this is the result of a previous owner running coolant without a rust inhibitor?  There is a fair amount of carbon on the piston tops but the bores appear to be nice and smooth, so I think this is a case of neglect rather than abuse.

The head looks OK too, again apart from the carbon buildup...

46.jpg.2700a4867c2abb6753b669f31c175e59.jpg

So what to do next?  I think it'd be rude not to rebuild the head now it's off, but as I've come this far I'm considering a full engine rebuild.  Problem is, if I do that I'll want to build a better than stock engine.  I just can't help myself.

My immediate thought is HC pistons and some head work but I'd welcome any advice...

I've read that the factory HC head is 'better' than the non HC but I'm not sure how, is it just bigger ports or are the valves bigger too?  Can my non-HC head be brought up to spec with some port work?

I've also read that Sport 300 inlet valves are bigger than earlier 4 cylinder Esprit's, is that right and can my seats be machined to accept them?  Is it worth the effort?

My understanding is that my engine has 107 spec cams, and the HC spec is 104 inlet and 107 exhaust?

I've already got a more open system with 4-into-1 headers, and the engine already has the later style cam carriers.

I'm also thinking about changing to the later, round-toothed cambelt and manual tensioner.

Cheers

Darren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Darren,

  I would lock those cylinder liners down also chap to be on the safe side unless you are planning on resealing the liners ?

 


A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/08/2019 at 17:06, iambadgerous said:

Hi All,

I haven't been able to spend any time on the Esprit for a few weeks but yesterday I summoned the courage to get the engine onto a stand (again) so I could get the head off in order to investigate the poor compression on cylinders 3 & 4.  Prime suspect was the head gasket.

I've done a few head gaskets in my time but I wouldn't claim to be an expert, however I think it's quite clear that this one is past its best...

43.jpg.0886452258320a9c424b57dd8addeca8.jpg

...removing the gasket revealed a nice coating of rusty deposits on the water jacket...

44.jpg.5536b95c347b7b5c4a8acbbbc5931bfd.jpg

45.jpg.c31ccd701d6fa0cc77bb86f487da2149.jpg

...I guess this is the result of a previous owner running coolant without a rust inhibitor?  There is a fair amount of carbon on the piston tops but the bores appear to be nice and smooth, so I think this is a case of neglect rather than abuse.

The head looks OK too, again apart from the carbon buildup...

46.jpg.2700a4867c2abb6753b669f31c175e59.jpg

So what to do next?  I think it'd be rude not to rebuild the head now it's off, but as I've come this far I'm considering a full engine rebuild.  Problem is, if I do that I'll want to build a better than stock engine.  I just can't help myself.

My immediate thought is HC pistons and some head work but I'd welcome any advice...

I've read that the factory HC head is 'better' than the non HC but I'm not sure how, is it just bigger ports or are the valves bigger too?  Can my non-HC head be brought up to spec with some port work?

I've also read that Sport 300 inlet valves are bigger than earlier 4 cylinder Esprit's, is that right and can my seats be machined to accept them?  Is it worth the effort?

My understanding is that my engine has 107 spec cams, and the HC spec is 104 inlet and 107 exhaust?

I've already got a more open system with 4-into-1 headers, and the engine already has the later style cam carriers.

I'm also thinking about changing to the later, round-toothed cambelt and manual tensioner.

Cheers

Darren

I have done all the upgrade you listed, Garry Kemp is your men for bigger valves HC pistons and 104 cam. Lot of funny here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Great work Darren,

  I would lock those cylinder liners down also chap to be on the safe side unless you are planning on resealing the liners ?

 

Thanks Dan, I've been careful not to rotate the crank since I pulled the head off but I'm pretty certain the liners will be coming out anyway...

4 hours ago, giorgio67 said:

I have done all the upgrade you listed, Garry Kemp is your men for bigger valves HC pistons and 104 cam. Lot of funny here...

Thanks Giorgio, I'd seen his listings on eBay and wondered about his credentials so it's nice to get a recommendation.  I'll drop him a line!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work Darren on bagging an engine,  as you say,  not cheap these days,  looks very clean which is nice,  good measure on seeing it running before jumping in with both feet   :thumbup: 


A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have an HC engine from an Excel fitted to my Esprit. Seems clearance is tighter between the engine and bulkhead and there will be some probable fiddling with cooling system pipe work. (Sparky was cursing when changing the cambelt a couple of weeks ago)...  I think mine ended up with the alloy thermostat cooling pipe from an S4 for example. Mine has the lotus bits exhaust system and a lightened and balanced fly wheel and it pretty quick now. Sounds great too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skiing said:

So I have an HC engine from an Excel fitted to my Esprit. Seems clearance is tighter between the engine and bulkhead and there will be some probable fiddling with cooling system pipe work. (Sparky was cursing when changing the cambelt a couple of weeks ago)...  I think mine ended up with the alloy thermostat cooling pipe from an S4 for example. Mine has the lotus bits exhaust system and a lightened and balanced fly wheel and it pretty quick now. Sounds great too. 

Thanks for the info, is the clearance tighter due to the repositioned alternator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is apparently a little less clearance generally but we (I mean Sparky!) struggled with the bolts for the triangular alternator bracket as they were right up against the firewall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...