free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit S2 just arrived today, minimal resto thread. - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
OSMojo

Lotus Esprit S2 just arrived today, minimal resto thread.

Darren - Whereabouts in the UK are you?

I love the S2 cloth interiors. You should consider is one of these: clicky

AIpNcNPgR2.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You should get along to the Ace - 3rd Wednesday every month @Trevsked normally posts a reminder.

We hold a monthly meeting every 2nd Thursday - but maybe a bit far to come - here's next week's

Welcome to the forum Darren,I've had my Esprit for a year now. I used to own it 15 years ago! Sold it and bought it back. The advice I've been given on these forums has been outstanding. The knowledge here is awesome. I'm no mechanic but enjoy the car so any question no matter how stupid can be asked, and you'll get all the help you need. Best of luck, looking forward to seeing the progress.

8 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

You should get along to the Ace - 3rd Wednesday every month @Trevsked normally posts a reminder.

We hold a monthly meeting every 2nd Thursday - but maybe a bit far to come - here's next week's

Good idea, the Ace should be possible distance wise, I want to see how the car behaves before I drive it any distance.

7 hours ago, Big Vern said:

Welcome to the forum Darren,I've had my Esprit for a year now. I used to own it 15 years ago! Sold it and bought it back. The advice I've been given on these forums has been outstanding. The knowledge here is awesome. I'm no mechanic but enjoy the car so any question no matter how stupid can be asked, and you'll get all the help you need. Best of luck, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Thanks Brett, nice to get your old car back. Yeah I noticed dumb questions are forgiven, I even asked what the left to right mirror switch was for :sofa: .

Dirty spark plugs, that's all it was that was causing the sound and fumes smell, I called the AA, he cleaned the sparks and now it sounds fine. I have booked it in at Morland Jones for a health check anyway.

Edited by OSMojo
uneccessary information
  • Like 1

I thought Morland Jones had closed down?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Maybe they changed their minds! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

They are excellent, that's good news :)

Evora NA

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 19:00, Bibs said:

They are excellent, that's good news :)

Update to this. So I took the S2 down there, I was getting gassed, fumes in the cab. The story of Morland Jones is that, they worked with a guy in the garage next door (Sam), he has taken over their website, and is taking care of Lotuseseses (there was a white S3 in there), he seems to know his stuff (so far), and identified what is wrong with mine. I am getting a cam belt change while it's down there, better safe than sorry.

Another strange thing that was happening was the fuel gauge seemed to empty down to half a tank within a few miles, I have learned that this is because there is a pipe going from one to another than can give a false 'full' reading whilst the tanks are distributing the fuel.

I need to find a valet, one especially good at getting fumes out from alcantara , I'm in Twickenham, any one know of someone? preferably a mobile valet.

• Like 1

Pleased you are fitting a cambelt very early Darren,  very sensible move  :thumbup:  What did the fumes turn out to be ?   

Edited by silverfrost

A

Fill the tanks up from both sides. The pipe between tanks is too small to transfer from one tank to the other in a short space of time.

Get your sills painted body colour...like mine :)

37224839355_1eada638d5_k.jpgIMAG2359 by Peter Gentilli, on Flickr

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 08:38, silverfrost said:

Pleased you are fitting a cambelt very early Darren,  very sensible move  :thumbup:  What did the fumes turn out to be ?   

Hi Dan, it seems the filters were full of rust and emissions were sky high.

So he:

Replaced filters

Replaced cam-belt/ & tensioned.

Both rocker covers changed

Flushed fuel tanks

Tune up etc etc

It's running nicely now, but TBH, I still get the odd gassing, so I'm not sure, sometimes when I'm at the lights or reverse with the windows down I get a nose full of exhaust fumes. He said the exhaust has no leaks nor does the tanks. The lines that take gasses out are fine. So maybe the cars are just like that ( I doubt it though). I'll keep an eye on it, (or a nose on it). I've got a valet arriving next week to detail the car, and to get the smell out of the cabin, that might help.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 15:58, peteyg said:

Fill the tanks up from both sides. The pipe between tanks is too small to transfer from one tank to the other in a short space of time.

Get your sills painted body colour...like mine :)

37224839355_1eada638d5_k.jpgIMAG2359 by Peter Gentilli, on Flickr

Awesome, looks better like that IMO. Yeah I found out about that pipe, I must say it did give me a scare, I filled up, travelled literally two miles and I had half a tank.

So in a nutshell can you guys let me know if exhaust smells come into the cabin on S2s? 

Bit late back to the party but no, there shouldn't be any really strong exhaust smells unless you have a leak from somewhere. If you had fumes leaking into the boot then they would come through the holes for the seatbelts in the bulkhead but as you have the engine cover then it would have to be a really serious leak and that should be obvious.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

That looks great! I could see the arguments for black sills and white sills, but it has come out looking tremendous.

Hi OSMojo

I'm new to this forum and looking for an Esprit S2.  I realise this original post was over a year ago, but do you still have your car and how has it all gone.  Have you had an issues with it?  Keen for any useful tips and info. Thanks.  Rob

Hi Jeanvm.  I just spotted your reply from November!  I don't suppose you know where this actual car is, or who owns it do you?  Rob

Good to see this car on the road.

I remember seeing the advert.