free hit
counters
Airbox to turbo pipe (aka elephant trunk) - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jaydubya

Airbox to turbo pipe (aka elephant trunk)

Hi All,

I just bought a replacement air pipe from the airbox to the turbo from SJ Sportscars, the quality of material seems far more robust than the original however it has very little flexibility and cannot be compressed in any way to make it fit. See photo of the original vs new. The new one seems too long. 

I'm loath to cut it because the diameter reduces from one end to other meaning it may not fit if cut (plus it was £100 so to get it wrong would be expensive!!)

Any suggestions on how to get it in? 

IMG_4384.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yup, it will fit.  Don't cut it!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Cheers guys, after warming it up with a hair dryer for 5 mins it become much more flexible and so I was able to man handle it into shape, still a bit on the long side I would say, but fits. Once the engine warms it up some more I guess it will find its natural shape; elephant trombone style.

?

The one installed on my car is original for sure and it looks like your new one (well a little more beat up but same design).

It looks better than your old one but it is still fragile, even more if some oil gets on it.

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

3" aluminum 90 degree pipe with silicone connectors fits with no problem. Offers better flow and reliability and it is more price effective.

Photo may have been a good thing to add John.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

3 hours ago, MrDangerUS said:

3" aluminum 90 degree pipe with silicone connectors fits with no problem. Offers better flow and reliability and it is more price effective.

25 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Photo may have been a good thing to add John.

I am sure John will have a pic or two, plus some drawing..     But the point made on better flow should not be taken lightly.     The flow quality on the elephants trunk is crap at best , in fact the whole induction system is a choke on the engine's performance...  This is a very simple area to change , at very little outlay.  Also quickly reversible for the purist collector... As for those who like to drive , I say let it breath .  The performance on these engines is amazing when you consider the imperfections in the induction and exhaust flow .  Admittedly doing it all is extreme and very expensive , but the results speak for them selves..  Just a quality flow up to the turbo, with well designed ram air , will increase spool up times and harness more of the turbo's potential.      Think of it like you are sucking breath through complicated tube and a restrictive filter.. OR.. a free flowing tube and filter without the need to suck the air ,just breath....  That is the difference your turbo will feel ... When you do the calculations of how much air goes through an engine, you will begin to understand what is being done by us modernisers and the real positive effect it can have.. ... 

D  

• Like 1

I will take pictures tomorrow.

Talking about CIS performance

Here is the ultimate racer:  345hp from 4 cylinders and CIS injection!!!  http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/group_a_volvo_specs.htm

Edited by MrDangerUS

FYI:  Here is an explanation why smooth bore duct is superior comparing to the "elephant trunk":

Ask yourself a question: why airplane fuselages or exhaust pipes are NOT ribbed ?

Just saying...

See pictures and test results in this thread  http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/ram-air-mod-dyno-d-89se-403865/

///

Edited by MrDangerUS