free hit
counters
Non-Lotus engine problem - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Non-Lotus engine problem

On my Vauxhall I have a problem that has plagued me for c1 year. Any ideas?

It's a 2l Turbo petrol engine.

Symptom: Misfire under heavy load.

Details:

It's worse when the engine is cold, but still present to some extent when hot (even still present when I drove to Hampshire on the hottest day of 2017.

I noticed it a short while (few weeks) after I gave it a light service, but may have been present prior to that as journey type wouldn't have shown it.

I finally pulled the plugs a couple of weeks ago, gaps (Bosch Iridium, pre-gapped in factory) had gaps between 1.0 and 1.19mm. I set them to be equal at the tightest gap, and the symptom went away. All plugs were roughly the same colour.

Now, a couple of weeks later, problem has returned.

I cannot see that the gap will have moved in a few hundred miles, so the re-gap must have been a red herring.

The only thing i can think is that simply by disturbing something, it nullifies a problem, perhaps a poor connection and by disturbing it I remove oxidation.

I would change plugs, but if it were plugs I'd expect it would remain there, not go away just because I take the coils off and put them back on.

Any ideas?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, esprit22 said:

Sounds like a dodgey coil pack to me.

That's also been a suspicion of mine, the thing that makes me doubt it, is the fact it goes away when tinkered with.

31 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

Have you checked the air filter isn't blocked with crap?

Yep, clear, and was replaced at the time I replaced the plugs etc.

I'd be suspicious of coil pack problems, too....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

55 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

Have you plugged it into a diagnostic machine?

No, I hadn't bothered due to the lack of any warning light coming on, but perhaps .....

Darn, where did I put that software & interface?

11 minutes ago, andydclements said:

No, I hadn't bothered due to the lack of any warning light coming on, but perhaps .....

Darn, where did I put that software & interface?

It has to be worth a try, and won't cost anything. Either that, or the CEL bulb has failed!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Trouble is, the only code you're gonna get, if any, is misfire cyl x.  Could mean any number of things.

However, I'd be looking at the coil pack too.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

the only code you're gonna get, if any, is misfire cyl x

Worse than that you can just get P0300 - random misfire. I'd go in a sequence of spark plugs (change, never hurts to get a fresh set of spark plugs), wires (check/change), coils (check/change).