free hit
counters
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - better than P Zero Corsas? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Daveb99

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - better than P Zero Corsas?

I'm getting close to closing a deal to buy an Exige S, and it needs new rear tyres.   It has the 'default' P Zero Corsas at present and that is what has been offered as a replacement, as part of the deal.

However, I've read a couple of reports on here from V6 owners who have the Michelin PS4's, and it seems that they could be harder wearing, and thus last longer, without sacrificing feel or grip.  I believe they are also a little quieter and cheaper - around £180 per corner.

Would I be better to go for the Michelins?   I'd need to replace the front tyres too at the same time I guess, at my own expense, but as they are half worn at least I'd end up with a full new set of boots?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I thought the Corsa's were pretty good tyres, overheat on track but for road the grip was good.  Got about 12k miles on them with quite a few trackdays.

I've now switched to Michelin Cup 2's which are more track focused but also work well on the road.  Softer side walls (probably like the PS4) which is slightly more comfortable/quiet that then pirellis.  Doubt I'd get the same mileage on the Cup2s but I think the PS4s would outlast the corsas.

I was deciding between the Cup2s and the PS4 tyres to replace the pirellis.  I chose the Cup2 for more track focus and that the PS4 are not made in the same way as the PS4S.

Both are great tyres and congrats on a great car!

Thanks Tony, I should add that I'm unlikely to use the car for track use, so mixed driving / fast road use.

Whats the difference between the PS4 and PS4S?

Has anyone else tried them instead of the Corsas?

11 minutes ago, Daveb99 said:

@rallyesax may be able to help with this :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

10 minutes ago, Daveb99 said:

The best answer comes from our resident expert, @rallyesax, in this thread:

Unfortunately for you, the answer is slightly irrelevant. Only the PS4 comes in Exige sizes.  

Yes, for the differences between the two tires, look at the thread's link. :)

Still PS4 is a great tire. Take a look at latest EVO's magazine with their annual Sport tire test and ranking. They tested 18'' as market target. PS4 get's the 1st place ahead of the Pirelli (who is also doing great)

@Daveb99 If it's any help, Lotus themselves have made this move. The standard fit tyre on the Exige Sport 350 now is the PS4 (with the Cup2's being fitted to the optional Forged wheels) so you'll be in good company.

Last weekend i fitted PS4 on my Evora to replace well worn PZero's and so far I am very happy. I only got 5k miles out of the PZero's so I'm hoping the Michelin will last longer, especially as they were more expensive.  I'm off to Spa and Nurburgring this weekend so will give them a thorough test :D.

• Like 2

On 26/09/2017 at 05:57, JAWS said:

@Daveb99 If it's any help, Lotus themselves have made this move. The standard fit tyre on the Exige Sport 350 now is the PS4 (with the Cup2's being fitted to the optional Forged wheels) so you'll be in good company.

Curious... the Michelin PS4 doesn’t appear in the parts list - including the latest version released 1st November.

I personally think you're mad going for something like the PS4. If you could get PS4S It would be a great choice, but the PS4 isn't really much of a performance tyre.  I personally run Pirelli Trofeo R on the road and have had no issues in any conditions. I think the Cup 2 are a little less extreme and what Lotus fit to their new cars now. It's a high performance car, please use a decent tyre!

9 hours ago, LotusPilot said:

Curious... the Michelin PS4 doesn’t appear in the parts list - including the latest version released 1st November.

To be honest i don't think any Exige Michelin tyre is listed and the CUP2's have been used for a while. For reference the PS4 part numbers are A138G0140F & A138G0141F.

@GFWilliams I suggest you speak with Lotus in regard to choosing PS4 for the Exige Sport 350. Some people want a more road/all conditions focused tyre and sizes from Michelin are a restriction. 

• Like 1

I'm sure there are better track/track day tyres but for road use the PS4 is an excellent tyre on the V6, way better IMO than the P-Zero Corsa.

I got a puncture yesterday driving to work (dammit) so I've ordered a pair of rear Michelin PS4s (as I literally couldn't find  a straight replacement anywhere for the P-Zeros). Hopefully they will be fitted on Saturday morning.

I normally run around 2.2B at the front and 2.4B at the back - I assumed the PS4s would run at the same pressure but I've seen some chat about running lower than this? Any views?

On 01/08/2019 at 15:35, Smapmap said:

I got a puncture yesterday driving to work (dammit) so I've ordered a pair of rear Michelin PS4s (as I literally couldn't find  a straight replacement anywhere for the P-Zeros). Hopefully they will be fitted on Saturday morning.

I normally run around 2.2B at the front and 2.4B at the back - I assumed the PS4s would run at the same pressure but I've seen some chat about running lower than this? Any views?

Run 29psi/2.0bar front, 32psi/2.2bar rear - I think the same as the manual for PS4’s, works well on the road, didn’t like it with the higher pressures that were listed for Pirellis 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2019 at 20:35, MrP_ said:

Run 29psi/2.0bar front, 32psi/2.2bar rear - I think the same as the manual for PS4’s, works well on the road, didn’t like it with the higher pressures that were listed for Pirellis 

As low as that - my rears are 20 and fronts are 19inch? I'm currently running fronts 2.4 and rears 2.6 as an experiment - hopefully if we can manage a dry day soon I'll have a chance to play around with different combos

I drive the michelin ps4. I tried 2.2 bar and 2.4 bar. that was terrible. I almost threw the car away on a b road. when I had drained the warm pressure at the front and back each 0.2 bar, it was ok again. So, for the road are cold 2.0 front and 2.2 rear optimal.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 16:55, Smapmap said:

As low as that - my rears are 20 and fronts are 19inch? I'm currently running fronts 2.4 and rears 2.6 as an experiment - hopefully if we can manage a dry day soon I'll have a chance to play around with different combos

I presume you’re in an Evora then? Not sure what the recommended pressures are for that size but 2.4/2.6 sounds high for that weight car. Not tried on Evora so could be completely wrong!

13 hours ago, Harald32 said:

I drive the michelin ps4. I tried 2.2 bar and 2.4 bar. that was terrible. I almost threw the car away on a b road. when I had drained the warm pressure at the front and back each 0.2 bar, it was ok again. So, for the road are cold 2.0 front and 2.2 rear optimal.

That’s what Lotus recommend (2.0 and 2.2), and seems to work

• Like 1

On my Evora NA - now the tyres have scrubbed in I've tried various combinations. So far I have them at 2.2 at the front and 2.4 at the back - seems to be pretty well balanced. Higher pressures than this seemed to result it a more unpredictable loss of grip at the rear, sort of grabby behaviour which was a bit disconcerting! I'll see how I get on with the current set up for a few weeks and then drop down to 2 at the front and 2.2 at the rear.