Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2-Eleven Nut & Bolt Refresh Project - 2-Eleven Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

2-Eleven Nut & Bolt Refresh Project

TheKevlarKid

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pretty much a full back to chassis, nut and bolt rebuild!! I've only just started taking it apart... that's the back end all prep'd ready to be rebuilt. Front end is coming apart and cleaned up next, im leaving the middle til last... rollcage needs to come out!! Basically going to get it all stripped and prep'd and then work my way back up refurbing and/or replacing what ever needs sorting out. Finish with new body work and paint. :D 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 10:32, TheKevlarKid said:

Pretty much a full back to chassis, nut and bolt rebuild!! I've only just started taking it apart... that's the back end all prep'd ready to be rebuilt. Front end is coming apart and cleaned up next, im leaving the middle til last... rollcage needs to come out!! Basically going to get it all stripped and prep'd and then work my way back up refurbing and/or replacing what ever needs sorting out. Finish with new body work and paint. :D 

:thumbup:  That's what it needs Gav, I'm sure it'll be fantastic when done.   What are the thoughts on rebuild?  original spec or something racier with the full cage?

Well it seems like i have a new build thread going... lol, cheers bibs!! I'll update with a few pics as I go along, no probs.

Strange to think some of the 2-11's are over 10yrs old now (my original car above turned 10 this month). This one is slightly younger, only by a year mind, so pushing on to double digits she is with 45k on the clock!

Ive caught it just at the right time!! As I already suspected when I bought it, the steel brackets that hold the front and side engine mounts and also the lower rear wishbones onto the aluminium chassis have started to corrode and eat into the chassis. Thankfully nothing that needs any repairs, just a good clean up and treat the small areas. Left any longer then it would have been a much bigger job... I'm going to get all the brackets powder coated with a zinc base coat, shouldn't need looking at then for another 20yrs!

@alicrozier dunno mate, I've got most of the parts needed to turn it back into a road car spec if I wanted to, original cage etc... the full cage has got to come out tobe re-powder coated anyway, so until the point I need to put one of them back in I've got plenty of time to decide which way to go... 

At this point in time though my thoughts are more towards keeping it a track bias car. The car has lived its whole life either on a track or driving to and from one. I don't want to break with tradition so Im thinking keep the full cage (its a lot safer), but set the car up just a little softer so the drive to and from the track isn't so harsh on the driver but still good to rag around when you get there. Also look to get rid of a lot of the unnecessary junk in the engine bay (coolant pipes, accusump and oil pipes etc.) so as to keep it much tidier and easier place to maintain than it has been... The rest will be pretty much stock.

• Like 1

I like your thinking, keep the history.   Full cage and aero but a bit more sensible ride height and spring stiffness.  Relatively comfortable and fun and on the road but still epic on track - a really usable 'drive to trackday' car.

GTE matching red would be nice...  :)

• Like 1

Funny enough colour has been on my mind from day one! Thought about doing it to match the gte - red, grey stripe and gold wheels ,would look good and would keep the main colour of the car as is, but (please tell me I'm not going mad) I can't stop think about going matte gold with satin black decals/stripes ,diffuser, splitter and wheel etc ,get the right balance of black on gold and it would look a proper 70's racer...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheKevlarKid said:

It has a Hangar 111 charge cooler on it already Adam, not long been installed by the looks of it. I have a std intercooler here, again going to see how it all goes as to what I put back on it.

Which car is it?  Don't recognise it from the photos, but doesn't show much bodywork!

Would recommend the CC if you are going to drive the car hard - we have seen a few 211s lose power after only a few runs on the dyno due to heatsoak.

Dave

There are tunes that modify the IAT/timing compensation program (along with other parameters,  if you are prepared to run "good" fuel and feel confident that you will not experience  detonation. 

The Lotus stock ECU/IAT compensation table for the 2ZZ motor starts to pull timing at a lowly 30*C (86*F) IAT and gradually increases timing retardation as IAT's increase maxing  out at 6 degrees of retardation at 70*C or above.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

On 27/09/2017 at 15:37, AdamK said:

It's the one issue that bugs me about the 2-11 (after the gearbox). Not an easy or cheap fix. 

Depends on your definition of easy and cheap I suppose... but the 211 is just about the easiest of the cars to install the kit onto.

Dave

Indeed! Again, just caught this at the right time, any longer and it would have been eating into chassis! This is a problem with all exige/elise based cars they all use the same crappy coated brackets found on the 211. Obviously the rollcage mountings are unique to the 211 and and are somewhat open to the elements and have allowed water/moisture to sit under them... coating on the raiser plates and feet of the rollcage will need something a little more durable!

Rollcage refurb!

A lot of the problem with the original cage manufacture and installation was no dressing or surface prep to it (and the fact it is open to the elements). The raiser plates, the supporting feet of the cage and the support brackets for the water bottle had all been cut out by laser leaving very sharp edges, also the surfaces of the plate had no prep so ultimately the original powder coat had little adhesion and simply come away at the weak points allowing corrosion to start.

IMG_20171003_145802.thumb.jpg.3924c5b7937f88786e5f9389342c3f54.jpgIMG_20171003_145936.thumb.jpg.fb0613a168cf2cb7c89254f89831809c.jpg 

IMG_20171003_154730.thumb.jpg.48705f243dfa202b1b1d53c65a62b40b.jpg

I've spent a couple of hours with a small grinder and a file taking off all the hard edges on the cage and raiser plates prior to them being recoated with an additional zinc base coat. Hopefully this shouldn't need looking at again for many years!!

IMG_20171003_151448.thumb.jpg.f3f922e977c00d39cdf2ff70e1314870.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f91d8068176956b1IMG_20171004_085002.thumb.jpg.043a46734caa9f312f5cb950b3648f59.jpg

• Like 1