free hit
counters
pulled over by police - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
andyj007

pulled over by police

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great sorry!  Thanks for sharing.  Good to see there are still some traffic cops around.  I think police are taking a slightly more reasonable approach to number plates too.  I've been driving with uncompliant pressed metal USA plates on my other classics for a few years now and they seem ok about it.

• Like 1

There are plenty of good coppers out there. Most of them very very decent chaps and chappesses! 

You do get the odd arsehole but then hey, it's the same in any job really.

It's a shame we don't see more of them around as I find generally, when they do interact with the public, especially in this way, they come across as professional, polite, etc. A real credit to the force. I've been pulled a couple of times in the last 5 years, once to get a ticket for speeding and to be fair, it was all calm, professional and justified. In fact the one that pulled me over for the ticket was a very very atttractive chappess that I offered to take for dinner AFTER she had given me the ticket!  

We undervalue the community aspect of their roles. Maybe rather than allowing them all to retire at 50-55 on ridiculous pensions we could keep them on as community beaters etc.  They're maturity and professionalism would go a long way towards restoring public confidence in the force.

Contract our Police in general, with the gun toting arrogance of many of the police I've come across in places like Spain, Greece and France.  Not going to go their with the US police though in many places........  ;)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Where are the pictures Andy? :lol:

Dave.

im frightened to look on local  face book car spotters sight :)

my son says hes go ing to hunt them down..

3 hours ago, Dave Eds said:

Where are the pictures Andy? :lol:

Somewhere where my wife will never find them!

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

20 hours ago, andyj007 said:

......................... you might find that someday some  pedantic traffic policeman may decide he doesnt like it as much" 

If you want to meet one of those, I can 'recommend' Central Scotland.

I had a traffic Beemer stop the traffic on a busy main road whilst it performed a 3-point turn, then go on full 'blues and twos' as they charged up behind me. I obligingly pulled into the kerbside to allow them unimpeded progress towards the bank robbery, murder, or other heinous crime scene that they were rushing to attend, only for them to pull in and stop too. After the usual "Is this your car sir? opening gambits, I was then informed in no uncertain terms that "You can't have those!" as an accusatory finger was pointed in the direction of my [A L07US A] number plates.

The plates were fixed on top of the totally legal versions by some strips of Velcro so I quickly removed them, offering the excuse that I'd been at a car show the day before and had simply overlooked them, :whistle:. Apparently, my immediate rectification of this cardinal sin was all that saved me from purchasing 2 tickets to the next police ball at a cost of £100 each, :angry:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And they truly wonder why people question their priorities and actions. 

Knowing yo David your car was taxed. It was insured. It was being driven considerately.

Meanwhile whilst they were causing you unnecessary hassle probably two untaxed or uninsured drivers went by. Well, you were in Cental Scotland ! ;)

• Like 2

@C8RKH let me ask the question everybody has: did the chappess accept your offer to take her to dinner? :wub:

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I've generally been very happy with my interactions with Traffic cops.

I've been done for speeding by an unmarked Saphire Cossie (which gives you an idea of how long ago it was). Fair cop - I was doing an indicated 90.

I've only had one dodgy interaction - about 3 yrs ago when pulled over for having a smaller front plate on my VXR8. The front bumper aperture is sized for an Aussie plate (as they are really just rebadged HSV Clubsports) and the cars are not fully EU/UK type approved, so are officially imports. My plate met all the requirements for an import, and I carried a copy of the regs with me. I always thought about carrying a copy of the image below (which clearly shows one of the (import-only but sold by Mitsubishi : hence very similar situation) Police Evo's with an import-sized front plate) but decided this would probably not be perceived as a compelling argument if I was stopped :) ).

I wasn't therefore surprised to be pulled over - in the same way folks running illegally-spaced plates surely can't be surprised to be pulled over :sofa: ). It was the 3rd time in 5yrs owning the car that this had happened. I obviously got this guy immediately after something more taxing though, as he was raging from the moment he got out of his car, was pretty rude, and definitely wasn't happy to be shown a copy of the regs, or to hear that I actually knew what I was talking about. After some minutes of huffing he left almost-shouting "this will just go to court" - I had no idea whether I was being charged - and he just drove off. <_< Never heard any more of it.

Despite that - I'd much rather have proper traffic cops around who can apply professional judgement, as opposed to cameras. They can also tackle bad driving practices - which are far more prevalent than speeding now imho.

mitsubishi-lancer-evo-x-police-car-2.jpg

• Like 1

I wasn't surprised to be pulled over, I was just surprised it had taken so long, :rolleyes: .

I had genuinely put the plates on for a car show - the tiny porkie-pie was that it hadn't been the day before but about 6 months previously, :whistle:. In that time, I'd covered about 8k miles all over the UK including a number of trips through Essex where they're not exactly renowned for their tolerance of even the most miniscule motoring misdemeanours. On several occasions, including at least once in that fine east of London county, I'd had a cop car directly behind me with no reaction whatsoever.

A mate who's a traffic officer in the Edinburgh area said that they wouldn't pull anybody just for just a plate unless it was well-dodgy, but they would introduce it into the conversation if you'd been stopped for some other indiscretion. The guy who stopped me was probably trying to impress the young blonde in his passenger's seat who had her pen poised over her notebook in eager anticipation of her first scalp, :( .

• Like 1

some interesting stories on here, enjoyed the read... an update on mine,, i contacted my insurance the next day..  it turns out i did notifi them of the plate change, but they just eft it on file, not updating their system...  this could have been the reason it initially flagged as no insurance....  

I remember getting pulled over many years ago late one night in an Elan S3. The officers just wanted to look at the car, asked all the right questions, even fans of Emma Peel! As I got back in the car drive off they mentioned in passing, 'Oh btw, one of your headlamps isn't working, you might want to get that looked at!'. 

• Like 2

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)