free hit
counters
Carbon fibre options - Page 9 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’ll be retrofitting gas struts, just didn’t have time yet.  I didn’t want the Eltech one as it means you have no rear visibility. 

1 hour ago, GFWilliams said:

I’ll be retrofitting gas struts, just didn’t have time yet.  I didn’t want the Eltech one as it means you have no rear visibility. 

Yeah, I think rear visibility will be better with the Lotus OEM, but frankly it’s not great with any option!

Think I am going to pull the trigger on Eltech carbon front access panel, roof and rear hatch. Matteo says he can ship during September, which is fine for me. Hopefully it’s not too difficult to fit, especially if I follow @dixie v6‘s helpful guide.

Edited by Mattmahope

Each to their own, I think you’ll regret it, may as well remove your central mirror while you’re at it 😜

16 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Each to their own, I think you’ll regret it, may as well remove your central mirror while you’re at it 😜

Now there’s an idea...!

7 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

DixieV6 has the Eltech hatch and has reused the oem gas struts. 

I'm also curious to see how he did the editing ...

Took me some time to fit them but I believe I bought shorter gas struts or maybe longer :-)

20190802_195751 (Large).jpg

• Thanks 1

Well done ... congratulations ... :unworthy:

sorry ... could you please give us some more details ...

- type / brand gas struts ...
- how he set them on the cover ...
- being the cover a lot of light when you open with these gas struts it doesn't slam, doesn't it hit too hard ?
- more info & photos ...

13 hours ago, dixie v6 said:

Took me some time to fit them but I believe I bought shorter gas struts or maybe longer 🙂

Were you not able to use the OEM gas struts as “plug & play”?

When I got the bonnet there was nothing to attach the gas struts so I made something on my own ,but Matteo can send you some brackets were you can attach the oem gas  struts on ,I knew to late that was possible..

No slamming at all , opens very gently.....

• Thanks 1

20200201_131952.jpg

regarding aftermarket carbon side sills, how did you fix them ? with double tape adhesive ?

Do you put some foam between the carbon part and the chassis to protect the carbon ?

Thanks.

(the A post trim does not come with a hole for USB socket)

23 minutes ago, geartox said:

regarding aftermarket carbon side sills, how did you fix them ? with double tape adhesive ?

Do you put some foam between the carbon part and the chassis to protect the carbon? 

Please do take dome pictures as it's on my to-do list too. (also the usb socket hole...) 

I use foam tape when fitting the carbon sills, in fact all sills as it gives a better bond. 

I use this :https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/3m-products/~/3M-Double-Coated-Synthetic-Foam-Tape-4430P-White-25-mm-x-66-m-0-8-mm/?N=5002385+8713621+3292816064&preselect=8710676+8710815+8710960+3293786499&rt=rud

For protection just add two strips down the length and leave one side on, or by single sided foam tape.

Eliminating rocking will prevent them carbon sills from cracking so focus on solid fit first I’d say