free hit
counters
Painted my knob - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I finally switched the original two tone leather 'acorn' gear knob for the MY2012 version (thanks to the lovely folks at Lotus Silverstone for installing it).

It didn't take any more than a day before I decided to paint it. I did the same on my old Exige, but forgot how much better it looks.

8E9CEFE6-8BFA-4547-AFD5-FBE5C8BDB7FF.jpeg

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to try the syringe method too,  . I've just picked some up from the car park behind the railway station but I may have to change the contents as I'm not sure that 'Heroin Brown' is the

I finally switched the original two tone leather 'acorn' gear knob for the MY2012 version (thanks to the lovely folks at Lotus Silverstone for installing it). It didn't take any more than a day b

Just copied you.  cheers! Knob is held on by a n allen-key grub screw at tbd front - then it unscrews. Watch out for the spring as it reaches the end. 

Posted Images

It's always good to get praise for my knob ?

Yes, very easy. I used a fine paint brush, and enamel model paint left over from building a plastic aeroplane kit. 

Try to fill the engraved numbers with paint, but don't worry too much about going over the edges. Apply a little paint thinner to some tissue paper, and very gently wipe away the excess paint. A couple of wipes should leave a good finish. 

I did a couple of coats of the black, leaving an hour or so to dry between coats, then did the same with the red. Seemed the best way to avoid smearing black paint over the red bits. 

Just copied you. B-) cheers!

Knob is held on by a n allen-key grub screw at tbd front - then it unscrews. Watch out for the spring as it reaches the end. 

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Brendonian said:

I'm really surprised how the new knob has changed the feel of changing gear. Somehow, it really feels noticeably more direct and mechanical. I didn't expect it, but I'm very happy with the feel.

The Ali knob actually shortens the gear stick by about a cm. I was surprised how different it felt in my S1. 

• Like 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

22 hours ago, 2011 Chrome Orange said:

I switched and painted my knob and had my HVAC panel painted to tie the exterior color into the interior.

shift knob.JPG

Your knob looks very shiny. Have your been polishing it? (If that's not too personal a question?)

Mine isn't as shiney as Mr Oranges, but isn't as matt as yours either. 

<insert another double entendre here>

• Haha 1

I don't know.

Some people will type anything to get people to click on their topic. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Ooo. Touche.

I would say in my defense Ma Lud, that I am a moderator and it is my job to try and click on everything. (Is that a good enough excuse?)

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

On 06/10/2017 at 09:15, Scotsdave said:

Just spotted that Lotus are selling some knobs on the Motorsport auctions Here

Ordered. Thanks :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.