free hit
counters
Lotus: Genius - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus: Genius

Peppermint

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bet you wish you'd bought one ages ago :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Encouraging stuff as I am planning to take my S to the very top of the Highlands next year, plus of course there is a trip being organised on this very forum.

BTW hello Peppermint - I used to come out on some of your N Hampshire runouts back in the day, when you were piloting a Z4M.

Plenty,

Hi, those drive outs became very popular, eh!  Z4M days seem such a long time ago now (I've had 2 other cars since then before the Evora!). You'll have a great time in your Evora in the Scottish Highlands.

Bibs,

Most cars I buy I wish I had bought sooner ? So many nice cars I want to drive/own but like most of us available £'s dicatate what and when...

The Evora is without question the absolute best for available £'s right now ? - I reckon only a McLaren can top it for me, and budget wise that's a few years away, but am sure when that happens I'll wish I had bought one sooner! ?

• Gold FFM

"Most impressive though is the cars composure on bumpy roads" 

i am still staggered at just how fantastic the evora suspension is... the car corners likes its on rails, yet it rides the atrocious pot holed roads we have in abundance down here with sublime suppleness... no crashes, bangs or whallops. it is by far the best suspension on many cars/sports  i have driven..

I let a pal have a drive of one of my long termers and he asked if the suspension was made out of 'magic'! :D

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
On 10/4/2017 at 10:12, DaveC72 said:

Another former Z4M owner in an Evora here.  I used to inhabit the Z4 forum and did a couple of runs, but it's so long ago now and my memory isn't what it used to be.

From 2009:
bb8ade05a0537cfb5a14e75ec1e97f87

I think the suspension/ride is the single most commented aspect of any passenger's feedback in the Evora.  Everyone, and I mean everyone comments on it.

I've just driven from the New Forest to Bury St Edmunds this morning for work and the Evora is an effortless place to spend the journey.  Two and half years in to ownership (and 43K miles) and it still amazes me.

hey dave

im looking to get a z4 coupe (not m) as a daily driver...is there  anything that becomes annoying after a while with seat time   cant exactly take one on a long test drive... all cars have some annoying things / traits in one way or another, just trying to find out what these are and if i can live with them  before i seriously start hunting one down?..

probably be used two or three times a week for local trips

Hi Andyj007,,

I am probably in a good position to answer this one for you... At the time I had. Z4M Coupe, Mrs P had a Z4 3.0Si Coupe, and before that she had the Z4 3.0 Roadster.

Mrs P liked the roadster but much preferred the Coupe due to the stiffer chassis and thus better handling, she also much preferred the look of the Coupe.

The 3.0 engine is a peach, really smooth with a good spread of torque and is keen to rev. It could also return really good mpg for a 3.0 straight 6 when required. In combination with the manual gearbox, which we found a joy to use, the car was easy to use in traffic (better than the Z4 M).

I just asked Mrs P what she didn’t like about it and she said the SatNav wasn’t great and there were a few rattles from the dash. The Z4’s are also known for having rear springs that can crack (that happened on Mrs P’s Roadster and my Z4M). It’s not an expensive fix with OE parts but some take the opportunity to switch to aftermarket springs - I fitted Eibach springs to my Z4M, they improved the handling but not the ride!

We both rate the car for what it is and at that price point, and as an every day car we would say the Z4 Coupe Si is the pick of the bunch (if I remember correctly the Si is sportier than the SE but not as highly strung/manic as the M).

Test drive for as long as you can on a variety of roads, and of course carry out the usual “has it been cared for over it’s life?” checks...

Find a nice cared for one and in our opinion they’re good cars.

When we see one now we reminisce fondly of our ownership experience ?

Edited by Peppermint
Spelling

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, Peppermint said:

When we see one now we reminisce fondly of our ownership experience ?

I've little to add to what Peppermint's already said.

The forum is a good place to start and they're a friendly bunch on the whole.

Totally echo the quoted text above.

16 hours ago, Peppermint said:

Following a very well driven Elan on way to Braemar in Scotland...

58461337-5BC3-4F00-A682-BE77D3023769.jpeg

My back yard. I know this road so well...... its lovely and open and I would encourage you all to come and try it sometime. You cant quite believe how quiet the roads around Scotland can be once north of Perth..... but at times it like you are the only one around.... and we can enjoy the soundtrack and the whole driving experience without that slightly guilty feeling you can sometimes have when driving in the more populated parts of the UK.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks Dave & peppermint, fantastic response..

Anthony youve given me an idea ive just watched this cracking 2 part video on Harrys garage having a monster trip in his countach...   i fancy a bit of that of which you have up there..

just ned to plan a route...  at what time of year does it start to get a bit iffy with road closures?

andy

Second Anthony's comments, I was up there a couple of weeks ago - now is a good time to go. And I can think of no better recommendation than Henry Catchpole's drive in the Aston Martin N430. This is a beautiful video.

I drove this very route for the umpteenth time just two weeks ago. Even in  my prehistoric Esprit, it feels special every time.

If you do make it up here, let us know, the LEGS guys are a friendly bunch - no doubt someone will be about to lead the way if you want some company......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andyj007 said:

Thanks Dave & peppermint, fantastic response..

Anthony youve given me an idea ive just watched this cracking 2 part video on Harrys garage having a monster trip in his countach...   i fancy a bit of that of which you have up there..

just ned to plan a route...  at what time of year does it start to get a bit iffy with road closures?

andy

Roads start to close any time from Nov through March...... sporadically, and all efforts are made to keep them open to support the ski centre at the top of the mountain. However...... when it does get to that stage its not Lotus driving weather anyway.

Spring time and Autumn are truly best.... despite many many miles of open perfectly sighted corners there are also mile upon mile of twisty narly stuff (which despite being amazing) prove to be a bit of a chew if you get sutck behind a camper or a caravan. Early morning or late evening spins also recommended! I live 15mins away from the route which Henry C drives in the video above..... could almost drive it blindfold so if you ever want a guide then give me a shout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hedgerley said:

Second Anthony's comments, I was up there a couple of weeks ago - now is a good time to go. And I can think of no better recommendation than Henry Catchpole's drive in the Aston Martin N430. This is a beautiful video.

I watched this video so many times :wub: ! I hope to be able to visit Scotland within the next couple of years with  the Exige  :P ... and do the NC500 as well !

Edited by French Frie

:thumbup:

Nice to hear from you Ross, hope you're still enjoying your Elise mate :)

• Thanks 1

Evora NA

• Gold FFM
17 hours ago, RESTELL said:

Its lovely to read stories like this about a project that was very close to my heart. Lotus is such a small team, and I tuned those dampers, with my technician, over a period of about 6 months. 

The ride and handling performance is only so capable because of the many hours (day and night) spent trying different options, building dampers, driving them on road and track, tweaking and improving continuously, until eventually (after about 150 total different damper settings were tried!) the perfect settings are found. 

Its always a balance and compromise between great handling, and acceptable ride, especially in a car with passive damper, no electronic switching damper magic to ease the way. Im pleased the overall package of increased spring rates, geometry, and stiffer dampers resulted in a car which is more aggressive then the S1 Evora we started with, but is still a nice riding car and a great track car. 

The team of people who made this car (from a vehicle dynamics perspective) was tiny. It came at a time when a certain Mr B has left for new challenges, and the business of Evora 400 ride and handling tuning fell to me. Working with just a technician (and good friend) we tuned the car like it was our own personal project, to prove we could do it 'on our own'.

Im sad to say ive now left lotus, for a new challenge at SVO Jaguar LR (making a V8 XE into a Nurburgring weapon), but that technician i speak of is now a fully fledged Vehicle Dynamics Engineer at Lotus, still pouring all that passion and pride into the new Lotus products (GT430 etc) so you are all in very safe hands. 

what a great post...