free hit
counters
Headlight Alignment - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Headlight Alignment

Can't find an existing forum link to adjusting the near side front headlight alignment.

Garage have advised that 3 of 4 the adjustors are seized and best to remove the unit.

It's one of 2 MOT failures on my Stevens NA X180.

Any suggestions or is it intuitive once you start removing the light?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If they are still the original units, be very careful as you'll not get replacements, so use lots of wd40 etc.

Get the plastic trims off, then you need the threaded bar to be free to move in the nylon that's attached to the headlight bow rim, and to move within the backing pate. The metal to nylon friction can easily be enough to rip the mounts off the bowl.

Thanks Andy,

I guess it slipped through the MOT last year by previous owner as posting to left doesn't blind anyone.

I hope nobody has damaged it trying to adjust it in the garage today. Will give a good soak in fluid and come back to it in 24-48 hours.

Managed to get some nose pliers in behind the near side headlights after a good spray of releasing fluid and adjust without using the small screw at the front.

One adjuster was missing from the full beam completely but I managed to find a spare that has been held nicely in place with a brake pipe clip - e.g. replacing the nylon thread on the light fixing.   

Just for the MOT, can you not just adjust the stop for the headlight pod so it doesn't go as high? Save you messing about with the screws which will have probably rusted.

Good news is, there are people doing replacement screws I think.. they may even be available OEM still. Just not the actual glass units.

I'll find out Monday on the re-test MOT if I've adjusted them well and would be interested in any link to non-rusty replacements.

It seems to me that if the metal adjusters are stuck/corroded then they can be cut/removed and replaced easily.

I'm not to sure how the nylon part fitted to the light with the treading can be replaced. It looked like a 90 degree twist and pull but I could get one out that didn't have an adjuster. Instead I found that a metal brake pipe clip worked well.  

Eventually, PNM Sells a complete kit (or seperate) consisting of 4 new Cibie lamps, stanless backing plates and fasteners etc. You have to very slightly enlarge the hole in a pod to accept the new lamp, as they are all curved the same way. Other than that, they give a LOT of bright light. Say with Philips xtreme 100% better bulbs. Makes a very marked difference. I did that complete kit to my Esprit, and I can actually see now, driving on a dark backroad. More fun with your Esprit ;) I don't know if any of the other sellers also make a similar kit, but you can ask around. Where I live, it's illegal to install modern ultra bright lamps with funny kelvins.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 1 year later...

Excuse me capturing this thread. Can I change the bulbs w/o destroying the beam setup ? The manual says you had to pull the lamp holders out of their (nylon) socket .

I applied sensitive force and did not succeed. That's why I ask. My alternative plan is to mark the initial beam set up on the wall and remove the adjuster screws to loosen the pods.

But that was not intended by Lotus this way I guess.

Regards,

Mark.

On 13/10/2017 at 04:55, DaKa said:

I'll find out Monday on the re-test MOT if I've adjusted them well and would be interested in any link to non-rusty replacements.

It seems to me that if the metal adjusters are stuck/corroded then they can be cut/removed and replaced easily.

I'm not to sure how the nylon part fitted to the light with the treading can be replaced. It looked like a 90 degree twist and pull but I could get one out that didn't have an adjuster. Instead I found that a metal brake pipe clip worked well.  

I know PNM use to supply an aftermarket stainless steel backing plate and all the new gubbins to fix your headlamps in on the stevens esprit, not sure if they still do it though.  but well worth getting if they do :)

A

It was Rimmer Brothers to the rescue for my S2, with a selection of replacement parts originally of Triumph provenance , as I recall. SJ also carry various useful bits.

Cheers

7 hours ago, MarkL said:

Excuse me capturing this thread. Can I change the bulbs w/o destroying the beam setup ? The manual says you had to pull the lamp holders out of their (nylon) socket .

I applied sensitive force and did not succeed. That's why I ask. My alternative plan is to mark the initial beam set up on the wall and remove the adjuster screws to loosen the pods.

But that was not intended by Lotus this way I guess.

Regards,

Mark.

In a word, no. You have to unscrew the headlamps fit the bulbs, and the chances of getting them back in the same place is about the same as getting a private audience with the Pope.

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

It seems that everything is riveted in my lights assembly besides the adjuster screws. That's the problem obviously. Popping the nylon out with the screws in place might literally screw them.

I go for the soft way . I have chalk marked the wall. Low beam is doubtfully low anyhow. I will try out the street legal new Philips +130% H4 bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to pop out the 4 head lights at the very frontmost metal rim from the adjuster/retainer studs nylon. WD40 and a decent short pulling lever helped a lot, the painted areas around did not....

In the end the owners manual is right although not being very detailed. You just don't want to destroy any of the fragile Lotus stuff in general.