free hit
counters
Previously damaged S car. - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Previously damaged S car.

Clarky5150

Have the opportunity tobuy an Esprit that i have been wanting for some time. Needs a little work to bring it up to where I want it and a price had been agreed however it transpires now that the car was a Cat C write off in the 90s. I have owned various newer cars and bikes on the register but these were far newer and so knew exactly how that effected their value. The car has been run, serviced and loved by its current owners for well over 10 years and I honestly believe they were unaware of the previous damage as they state they bought from a garage who didn't inform them.

was hoping you guys would give some indication of the effect on the value of the vehicle. I don't think it will be the 40% you would expect on a newer vehicle but a second opinion is always helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Clarky.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Clarky,

Unfortunately there is a stigma attached to Cat C/D vehicles including Esprits. I would calculate that it roughly writes around 30% of the value off.

You need to think about resale; and generally you will sell at 60 - 70% of the value compared to a car with clean history.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks gents. I will of course give the car a good going over but unless there is chassis damage I think after this time any faults with the repair would have raised their head by now. I am still keen on the car and have amended my offer by about 30%. 2 things I have to consider are a)that the car does need some work which will obviously now add up to a far larger percentage to the value of the car and b) That I want to keep her for the foreseeable future. All the parts to repair the vehicle would have been available new in the late 90s but due to their expense and lead time I could quite easily see a write off scenario for panel damage. 

Awaiting the seller to make their mind up on my offer.

You really need to know what the damage was and what was done to remedy it. That could very much alter the value for both you and any prospective buyer.

For example, structural damage to the body which was then repaired (even if new sections glassed in) will always put some people off or decrease the desire of others so reduce value noticably. If it was the subframe but that was replaced,  then in essence the damage had gone so I'd say the originality has gone and it will decrease desirability but only in the same way that it would on a re-shelled classic Mini so possibly smaller decrease in value (depends whether body & subframe both damaged). If you were looking at subframe damage that's been straightened out, I'd say several people would walk away and it would seriously hit the value because it's a sign of the (limited) extent the person was prepared to go to make the car right.

1 hour ago, Clarky5150 said:

No an S4. Should this car fall through is that one to avoid or snap up Mark?

Hard to say it depends on the price and how good the car is .

Get it checked out properly and if its cheap enough you should be okay .

You can always resell a CAT C as long as the price is right

Thanks Mark. I guess you are right on that front. 

Not a blue one. Azure blue  with cream is perfect for an S4S in my eyes. s4 needs silk red  with mushroom or NM yellow with black/yellow piping.

always been picky when it comes to colours...

I've had a few cat d cars back in the day, always checked em out proper first and told none of my pals (they couldn't see how I afforded them). Always had to remember bought it for less have to sell it for less eventually. I'm sure it'll be fine after 20 years 

The main problem with any cat c or d car is on the insurance. If you are involved in another accident the amount they pay will be nowhere near what you paid for it or what you think it should be worth

hindsight: the science that is never wrong