free hit
counters
S1/2 Galavanised Chassis - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Morning Gents,

Now that s1 and s2 prices seem to be relatively high compared to a decade ago; is there now an appetite to look at producing new galvanised chassis.

The reason I ask; is I have a couple of s2's in need of restoration, and the chassis on both are a little crusty but probably restorable, but it would be much nicer and probably safer to replace the old chassis.

This practice seems quite common on the early Elan's but seems less prevalent on early Esprits for some reason.

There was a chap called Miles Wilkins; who used to apparently fabricate new chassis but I believe he has now retired.

Thoughts on any other alternative companies that would be interested in doing such a thing?

Cheers

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before Blasting. After Blasting Then Galv..  No problem , No hassle, No messy paint.  30 + years of rust protection in every crevice tube and box section..   

Try Arch Motors in Cambridgeshire. They use to make a lot of the Team chassis and now do Atoms chassis. They have done a couple repair and refinishes for my father, they are nice guys to. 

Chris, Any competent blaster should know what's required to clean up a tatty chassis without bringing harm. I found a local chap who did a nice job on mine with walnut shell/crushed garnet mix as

Posted Images

All,

Just a quick update:

I tried calling Miles again today and he picked up.

A very pleasant chap and very passionate about Lotus's in general. The bad news though is that Lotus cut up all of the chassis jigs apparently; which means that getting a new chassis made is going to be very pricey indeed and probably cost prohibitive whilst the cars are priced as they currently are.

Cheers

Mark

Its good to know Miles is still trading. I thinks someone else on here was asking about him not so long ago.

How about repairing your chassis' and then getting them hot dip galvanised like the S3 & turbo were?

:) 

It's getting there......

Hi Tim,

Apparently hot dip galvanising requires some sort of jig to stop it from twisting in the heat. I believe my chassis is solid enough at the moment but obviously there is a lot of pitting which is why I would have loved to have started with a fresh foundation for the build but it looks like (for the time being) that isn't an option.

Cheers

Mark

Try Arch Motors in Cambridgeshire. They use to make a lot of the Team chassis and now do Atoms chassis. They have done a couple repair and refinishes for my father, they are nice guys to. 

• Like 1

When I said new, I meant new replacement as opposed to original. Have you asked SJ if they are available?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 1 year later...

Give the user CHANGES on here a pm,  he has has had a couple of esprit chassis stripped and re galvanized the last was a turbo esprit,  i am sure he could sort out a jig to check straightness after the Galv process has been done,  he also knows who to use :thumbup:

A

On 06/10/2017 at 07:02, Ginger pig said:

Morning Gents,

Now that s1 and s2 prices seem to be relatively high compared to a decade ago; is there now an appetite to look at producing new galvanised chassis.

The reason I ask; is I have a couple of s2's in need of restoration, and the chassis on both are a little crusty but probably restorable, but it would be much nicer and probably safer to replace the old chassis.

This practice seems quite common on the early Elan's but seems less prevalent on early Esprits for some reason.

There was a chap called Miles Wilkins; who used to apparently fabricate new chassis but I believe he has now retired.

Thoughts on any other alternative companies that would be interested in doing such a thing?

Cheers

Mark

Call Pete at PNM he can sort any chasis problems.

Chris,

Any competent blaster should know what's required to clean up a tatty chassis without bringing harm. I found a local chap who did a nice job on mine with walnut shell/crushed garnet mix as blast media. Was quite the clean up exercise afterwards despite his sound efforts at blowing it clean, as the media that deposited into chassis tunnel crevices and (open ended) bay tubing took time and effort in order to remove. Some would advise that it's important to hurry off to have the clean chassis powder coated or painted before rust returns but, clearly, a great quantity would then likely be painted over making certain that the worst of rusting out would follow later. I'm talking pounds of material that required adapting a heater hose onto the shop vac in order to extract, not something any contractor would likely be inclined to fuss over.

As to powder coating one has to wonder whether there's something subliminally seductive about the term, "powder", as everyone seems to think it's the business. I'm not so inclined having seen it fail in a variety of applications. Properly applied quality paint on properly prepared surfaces leaves little to be desired in terms of longevity. Powder coat is more a case of the expeditious application of paint polymers via electrostatic attraction for the sake of production speed and economy of material, as opposed to a superior outcome. To get coverage onto the inner surfaces of the backbone and other crevices it may come down to the crude approach of pour, tilt, roll and drain in order to cover off against corrosion, and that will take time and effort to execute well. The attached photo shows the formerly rather scaly chassis after blasting and vacuuming but before final wipe-down ahead of coating with 2 part marine epoxy primer and urethane enamel. It's not to NASA levels of clinical prep but I doubt I'll live long enough to see the thing rust away given respectable treatment going forward.

Cheers

IMG_0844.JPG

• Like 1

The Esprit chassis is a beautifully simple lightweight structure. It wouldn't take rocket science to build a simple box section jig around a straight chassis prior to galvaning into which the galvanised chassis could be placed to check alignment and if necessary trued back up. 

• Like 1

Dave,

Thanks for the insights, galvanizing is clearly a first-rate solution. Don't know of any facility nearby with an interest in doing collectible autos though, so not sure it's a viable option. I've noted your comment on the acid etch primer and in review of the application PDF for the epoxy used I see that, while use of such a thing is addressed, it is expressed as an alternative to prompt coating with the 2K post blasting. My final prep for metals before painting is to thoroughly wipe down with methyl hydrate and shop towels before promptly sealing with the paint. It's been quite effective for me over the years, once the Esprit is resurrected I'll be suitably watchful on all aspects of maintenance and it sure as hell won't be driven in snow and slush on salted roads as the PO was happy to do.

Cheers