Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora GT430 - Page 76 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora GT430

KAS-118

• Gold FFM

It's a good read:pizza:

Won't spoil it either but the article really points out what an exotic thing the E430 is... 

"with its swathes of exposed carbonfibre and mid-engined proportions, the Evora looks like a miniature supercar embodying recent GT race car aerodynamic thinking"

What a car:wub:

IMG_6155.JPG

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
51 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Yes arrived today. Massively controversial I believe. No spoilers but absolutely not what I was expecting to read. Nor anything I will believe until I drive a new GT3.

A bit surprised about the steering comments, any depth to this?

The part I take issue with is that the conclusions are drawn on the basis of a cold, wet road drive. Ambient temperature was 7 degrees C. The writer would have had a totally different experience in the dry on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s.

The inevitable win for the Porsche won't surprise anyone. However the reasons given for the Evora losing the comparison are literally the last things you'd expect.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
23 minutes ago, Solstice said:

Come on spill the beans, the carrier pigeon hasn't made it to deepest wiltshire yet.....

When referring to when the rear end let's go... 

"In fact, the Lotus feels more like a 911 than the Porsche does" :lol:

Car Magazine: "The well-calibrated power steering is as communicative as ever, too."

Top Gear: "The steering isn’t so high-geared as to be nervous, but it’s precise and staggeringly alert. And for a powered system the feel is as vivid as it gets."

Road & Track: "On the road you'll immediately notice one thing: This car talks to you. I don't mean that it literally says words. I also don't mean that the steering is communicative by modern standards. I mean it talks. The hydraulic rack is inch-precise and relays information quickly and accurately. It's not darty or nervous. An action by your hands produces an immediate, expected reaction from the front end. That might not sound like a monumental achievement or even something worth celebrating, but consider the moment: There are currently so few new cars on the road that are both immediate and communicative, this deserves applause. And it's not only the steering. The brakes, the gearbox, the clutch, they all have the same desire to tell you what they're up to, like a platoon giving key information to a lieutenant."

I think we can put Evo's findings mostly down to the conditions. Shame it wasn't a proper comparison.

I rushed home to read this..... having just come back from a drive in mine on Saturday morning (1-3 degrees) then I immediately locked onto the initial comments about grip. It’s true.... limpet like.

however I genuinely ended the article confused about whether the car I own is the same as the Car that was reviewed. The steering on my car is almost other-worldly..... 

I’m delighted to see that it was a close run thing.... and I’m delighted to see that all the things we had all guessed would be raised as issues/ negatives from EVO were unfounded..... but bewildered that a “non-issue” has turned into a big deal. I agree - it must have been the conditions.... I can’t think of anything else!

1 minute ago, anthonyyule said:

it must have been the conditions.... I can’t think of anything else!

I can. The Porsche as always HAD to WIN!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

They did drive them on the same road though. So the conditions were the same for both cars. 

An unsurprising result. The GT3 does look terrific, the 430 a perhaps a bit more exotic. 

The pricing has the Evora at £2k more than the GT3 which we all know is not the case. 

Quite a good read. 

The conditions render the conclusions pretty meaningless for both cars. The comparison was limited to welsh A and B roads on a cold, wet day. Both cars deserved a more thorough investigation than that. I don't take much heed of the suggestion that the GT3 generates less grip in poor conditions either. It's a lot heavier and has the same tyres, only wider.

I'm utterly amazed that the Porsche's EPAS could be compared in any way to the Evora's system, I will believe it when I drive it for myself. It would have to be a quantum leap better than the 991.1 GT3 to get anywhere close. No other magazine has suggested the 991.2 steering is any kind of revolution, only that the EPAS keeps getting incrementally better with each new GT car. I read that as an admission that it was pretty awful to start with, not that many journos admitted it at the time.

Loads of inaccuracies such as the Sparco seats and 25 438bhp Evora GTEs but that’s to be expected these days.

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

The conditions render the conclusions pretty meaningless for both cars. The comparison was limited to welsh A and B roads on a cold, wet day. Both cars deserved a more thorough investigation than that. I don't take much heed of the suggestion that the GT3 generates less grip in poor conditions either. It's a lot heavier and has the same tyres, only wider.

I'm utterly amazed that the Porsche's EPAS could be compared in any way to the Evora's system, I will believe it when I drive it for myself. It would have to be a quantum leap better than the 991.1 GT3 to get anywhere close. No other magazine has suggested the 991.2 steering is any kind of revolution, only that the EPAS keeps getting incrementally better with each new GT car. I read that as an admission that it was pretty awful to start with, not that many journos admitted it at the time.

Loads of inaccuracies such as the Sparco seats and 25 438bhp Evora GTEs but that’s to be expected these days.

I used to enjoy getting EVO issues through the door, but now it is pretty sh1t. Their car of the year test was an absolute joke and the quality of the journalism ... not even bothering to do any research.. is awful. The GT3 is a great car but the comments about the Evora don’t make any sense. Possible issues with the weather of the test... anyway I’ve just cancelled my EVO subscription. I cancelled Autocar a few years back when they gave a nissan duke 5 stars. I don’t have anything against the car but really... ?

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

The conditions render the conclusions pretty meaningless for both cars.

That was pretty much the conclusion i drew too. 430 has more than 2Deg -ve camber on the front end from memory. Whilst they have to call it as they find it, I struggle to believe the observations (on either car) bear much relation to dry capabilites above 15DegC where th8s woukd come into play.

• Like 1

Read the ink of my friends copy( a 40 mile round trip)...and the Porsche won by being...a better Lotus. Lotus really should have tweaked that clunky Evora steering, a well known and long standing weakness...the icing on the cake is the Porsche costing less. 

Not obvious Porsche propaganda though. Feels like EVO have called it as they found it for once.

7 hours ago, cobwatch said:

Read the ink of my friends copy( a 40 mile round trip)...and the Porsche won by being...a better Lotus. Lotus really should have tweaked that clunky Evora steering, a well known and long standing weakness...the icing on the cake is the Porsche costing less. 

Not obvious Porsche propaganda though. Feels like EVO have called it as they found it for once.

Eh? and Eh?

im on my 3rd Evora.... never had any issues or concerns or problems or negative feedback to say about the power-steering.

and list price of the GT3.... well yes possibly cheaper....on the face of it.... But find 1 single car which left the factory without ANY options and/ or any car that you can actually buy! Even EVO themselves made this point quite clear.... cost comparisons with a car which you would struggle to buy anywhere (or if you could it would cost just under £200k) are meaningless. 

Only reference to price was that the Lotus was £119k as tested and the 911 was £130k as tested. To buy one that's been thrashed with no regard to the running-in schedule by a car flipper will cost you another £50k.

We all know that Cobwatch posted his comments just to provoke owners of 430s, please don't fall into his trap, it's not a school yard, please let's have a meaningful debate.

• Like 1

I do agree Cobwatch that the article was fairer than it could have been. Certainly prior to release of Evo we had all (on this forum) decided what the outcome would be and why. Nobody would have ever guessed in a million years the reason even if they could guess the result. 

• Like 1

Is someone take care about the comment of the journalist to make there chose?

Especialy for a car like this 430GT where passion is more important than reason (like for all the Lotus)

Edited by Babas89

Why be classic when you can be unique

Hardly at all?... the carbon, brakes, suspension and especially the aero are significant. Too much full-on GT4  would completely compromise the Evora on the road. The GT 430 occupies a completely different niche to the 400. But, yes, i have exaggerated, i hold my hand up.