free hit
counters
Evora GT430 - Page 34 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

1 minute ago, French Frie said:

but even if lower, isn't it too high for US market, as cars are generally cheaper there (especially domestic muscle cars) ?? or is the "exotic" status is sufficient to justify such a price ?

The point is that Lotus has room to play on price in the US. If you think of an exotic sport car that can do 0 to 60 in 3.6 or 3.8 and reach a top speed of 195mph, you are looking at the perennial Porsche 911GT.. which is less and less of an exotic and after that you go to the McLaren 570S which is much closer to the 200k  after the option game.

So Lotus probably knows that they can find a few buyers in the 120k to 150k price bracket especially if the rumours of Volvo Financial Services stepping in to provide Lotus clients with financing and leasing options are true.

Actually it is kind of the same in continental Europe, Lotus is kind of trying to fill a little void in the Exotic sport car market between 110k and 160k what is available from boutique automaker ? I'm not speaking Audi R8 or Honda NSX but McLaren, Lamborghini or Ferrari they have all vacated this segment. Only Porsche remains.

So if you think price per mph and add in the exotic factor the pricing is not exactly bad. Now not being on equal footing with the UK pricing is upsetting there is no denying that. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my new Evora GT 430 with special painting ( Gold Leaf) by hethel factory. The car is waiting for me at Komo Tec Germany. You can see the car this weekend in the KOMO-TEC Box in Nürburg /N

Thanks @Bibs and all.   What a feeling.  And it will be the only time in my life I am customer #1!   More pics and thoughts to follow.  But I can say this is a special car, very special. 

Posted Images

From the Facts presented I really like the Addition of the 430 nw (non wing ;-) - but I think with the Speed of the additional Versions I think when you are driving to the dealer to sign an order you should better check the TLF News if there is a new Version on the way......

• Haha 2

That would be an interesting price point ($130,00) if that is what it turns out to be.  That would put the 430 Sport in direction competition with the Mercedes GT S and the Porsche GTS.    And those cars come standard with A/C and a stereo.  

36 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

Actually it is kind of the same in continental Europe, Lotus is kind of trying to fill a little void in the Exotic sport car market between 110k and 160k what is available from boutique automaker ? I'm not speaking Audi R8 or Honda NSX but McLaren, Lamborghini or Ferrari they have all vacated this segment. Only Porsche remains.

you're right and it makes me wonder why Ferrari has not yet reactivated the Dino brand, with a small V6 berlinetta  ? By the way, a new contender may arrive soon, designed by Gordon Murray, with a big V8 and more power than the GT430 : http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a12174858/new-tvrs-blueprint-shows-2755-pounds-of-perfection/ :blush:

I find in America most people are only interested in the first half of the power to weight game. Or quarter mile times. Not areas where Lotus has ever done especially well in terms of performance per $$.

You can buy a 650bhp Corvette over there for 100k and there is a dealer on every street corner. It takes a dedicated sort to see beyond that.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

14 minutes ago, French Frie said:

you're right and it makes me wonder why Ferrari has not yet reactivated the Dino brand, with a small V6 berlinetta  ? By the way, a new contender may arrive soon, designed by Gordon Murray, with a big V8 and more power than the GT430 : http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a12174858/new-tvrs-blueprint-shows-2755-pounds-of-perfection/ :blush:

Maybe because that car is going to be badged as an Alfa-Romeo, the rumours of a 6C are not going away. 

Edited by NedaSay
  • Gold FFM

@French Frie Ferrari have the new £140k Portofino. In house styled and to my eyes it looks lovely.

I think Lotus have a nice spot to play in for the current Evora and Exige in the the £70k to £125k price bracket.  This space was previously dominated by the 911 (a good car but so bland and so many of them) so for the small volumes of Lotus quite a big space given how many 911's are sold.

The Exige and Evora is a good ownership proposition too with low running costs.

@CocoPops I don't hate you for buying a +2. Horses for courses it was just at the time I bought mine there was a lot of BS on here how the +0 was a bad buy so I just got behind my choice.  I still don't see the point in the +2 personally, but for others then you pays your money but I do think the rear seats are not used as seats for anywhere near as often as the gushing would support!  Anyway, how can you hate someone for buying something as great as an Evora? +2 or not...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I have to disagree with the amount of room Lotus has to play with.  If this car costs $130,000, it will compete with the Porsche 911 GTS.  The GT cars are where Porsches get interesting.  It will also compete head on with the Mercedes GT S.  This price range is not American muscle car territory, but junior exotic territory.

As gorgeous as this car appears, I suspect it will have limited appeal in the USA.  There is not much appetite here for stripped down cars.  We expect cars to come with A/C and a stereo (as well as cupholders).  We also expect cars to offer some vision out the back.  We expect this all of the competition already offer this (and more).    

I am a Lotus fan.

I am an Evora fan.

I am a previous Porsche customer.

At 75k for a 400, I can make a good case for why you would excuse an Evora's weaknesses over a 911 (eg worse interior for better handling/faster car)

At 120k that argument becomes much, much harder. We have to remember very few 911 buyers actually appreciate how a car drives.

James Martin (JayEmm)

JayEmm:

I totally agree.  The Evora 400 comes equipeed with most of what I espect to be in a car at a price that is attractive.  Much rather have an Evora 400 than a base 911.  But I will also tell you that even the 400, from the listings I have been following, does not begin to move off lots until it is priced at least $10-15K off list.  At $75,000, I'd take the Evora 400 all day long.

At $130,000 before adding back in the stereo/AC/etc, the case for the Evora becomes MUCH harder to make.  Personally, I can't justify the price and I doubt many other Americans could either.  If I was a dealer, I'd only be willing to special order the car due to limited appeal.

I'm very confused!! So they haven't even started building the GT430 yet let alone deliver them to the customers and they've announced another Car name GT430sprt which is less spec'd than the regualr gt430. [email protected]&@£[email protected]£ is this one a limited run or are they going to make as many as they can sell?? 

&@£»«¤±÷€£ }¤|•|¤. 

Wtf!!

26 minutes ago, Ccd said:

I have to disagree with the amount of room Lotus has to play with.  If this car costs $130,000, it will compete with the Porsche 911 GTS.  The GT cars are where Porsches get interesting.  It will also compete head on with the Mercedes GT S.  This price range is not American muscle car territory, but junior exotic territory.

As gorgeous as this car appears, I suspect it will have limited appeal in the USA.  There is not much appetite here for stripped down cars.  We expect cars to come with A/C and a stereo (as well as cupholders).  We also expect cars to offer some vision out the back.  We expect this all of the competition already offer this (and more).    

And I'm pretty sure the car will come fully loaded in the US just as the Sport 410 comes with the regular door panels, AC, regular Sparco seats that can now be ordered with electric adjustment... They will have the lot on demand.

There's a fringe of buyers out there who is not interested in the 911GTS - I dont get why cause it is probably Porsche best package if one cannot afford a 911 R  -  they just want something different and in the US the corvette appears to be not different enough, as they are going at or below MSRP right now and the Corvette is quite a proposition if you think of it. There are some that will favor small car makes over the Audi R8 ! This is where Lotus can make a play, this car can do well for Lotus. 

Now some will say the GT430 Sport will compete with the AMG GTS, F-Type S and yes it will, but the Evora is mid engined which they are not, it is attractive to some and a deterrent to others... The Evora is in fact hunting wannabe supercar owners and people tired of their Porsche, it is not a big crowd maybe but  Lotus will only need to sell a few handful of these - Julian said that the GT430 gathered some 27 deposits from dealers out of an anticipated  60 car run.

Now this new car probably has the wrong name and the timing for the unveil is weird to say the least. It does not appear to be a limited run, at least not as limited as the GT430.It doesn't have all the aero of the GT430, it just shares the GT430 styling but that is about it. They should have called it differently, be it Sprint 430, Sport 430 or what not.... And had they launched it in Geneva next year we would have said well done. Actually should this styling be adopted across the Evora range as part of the MY2018 refresh I don't think many here would object.

Launching it now is going to confuse the heck out of people and probably going to piss of more than a few dealers that have placed order for the Sport 410 which is rather a Sport 400 over here. So it is pretty wrong... but then you look at the rendering above and you melt because it is beautiful (IMO) Pick you favorite bright color and put it in a show room...

I'm thinking toxic green right this minute.

I really like it but, it should be properly GT. It should have a decent interior, with the back seats, A/C,  decent ICE system and soundproofing for long distance touring. Leave the stripped out, winged wonder for the track kings.  At the same time I cannot help thinking that my  2015 Evora S Sr was the buy of the decade. It's a better equipped car for almost half the price. If I want 430bhp, Komotec or Simply Sportscars will oblige for five grand or so. 

• Like 2

Well done Lotus for a amazing looking car and for addressing the big complaint of the auro on the first 430 that lots off people did not like, I was not one off them I think they both look great. As for price point I think it's fair , just wish I could afford one. Nice to see the same few being as negative as ever on yet a other great addition to the Lotus range.

Well said slim boy fat, Lotus are never going to please some of the Brand knockers on here, they say they love   Lotus and the Evora, then do nothing but slag every new addition to the range that comes along. Makes you wonder if they want Lotus to survive or go under.

C8RKH...... You misunderstood what I was saying. I bought my Evora S Sr brand new in June 2015 for £59K. It was the 8th Lotus I have owned, starting with a Series 3 Seven when I was 18 years old.  I have been a life long Lotus owner. I never make derogatory remarks about Lotus and have never knocked the brand.  But, buying a new top of the range Evora now costs £53,000 more than it did 2 years ago. ( £53,000 is pretty much the price of a new Porsche Cayman S  )  The 430 is obviously a very fine car and obviously quicker and lighter than the Evora S, (although it is fitted out to a lesser standard and with much less standard equipment fitted).  But, I'm not sure I can convince myself that it is £53,000 better than the car I have. I can't actually think of any other cars that have seen this level of price increase in just two years. I hope Lotus doesn't start pricing themselves out of the market, they are edging closer and closer to the starter offerings of McLaren and Ferrari. I can only presume that the convertible Evora, if and when it arrives will be another £10k / £15k  higher again. It will undoubtedly be a lovely car, but a buyer would then have the option of the baby McLaren or the Ferrari Portofino for the same money. So yes, Lotus do not as yet have the same market premium as Ferrari or McLaren, So I think they are beginning to ask too much for some of their products. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, NedaSay said:

I'm pretty sure if you order this car thru Exclusive and you ask very very nicely they will let you put the rear seat in... Of course they'll charge you extra for it.

No, they won't. At least, not whilst it has got 410/430 wheels on it. If it was going to happen, it would have to use 400 wheels. 

Then I'm tempted to say  trade the wheels for the Evora 400 diamond cut wheels keep the PSC2... Check with engineering if any tweaking has to be done to get the suspension back to 400 spec while you are at it if must be.

10 hours ago, scotty435 said:

Nice to see the same few being as negative as ever on yet a other great addition to the Lotus range.

Great addition if you've got over a 100k to spend on a new toy... sorry but at that price you're going to get a certain amount of negative comments, even from those that can potentially afford it - aero that's not to everyone's taste, lack of basic onboard equipment, limited editions that aren't limited ,options that are ridiculously priced (harness bar at 4k anyone?). We can't all be happy with everything lotus does or the way they go about presenting it to the customers... that doesn't mean we don't still love lotus!!

• Like 2

@C8RKH is right about the naming confusion.

Personally I think Lotus should not be using the Sport moniker on half the cars they do, and to have the "sport" 430 as the less hardcore of the two is confusing.

IMHO the new thing should have just been called Sport 430, drop the GT badge.

I am really very curious to know have Lotus sold all 60 of the original run? Or is this a way of selling some more without upsetting those who were promised a limited edition car?

Let us also not forget how most people buy their cars - on finance. I suspect the 430 is within spitting distance of a McLaren 540 if you play the monthlies game. £25k is a big gap but £100 a month isnt!

James Martin (JayEmm)

Agree with the naming convention, but i like the less fussy front end design.  I feel it's more cohesive than the 400's black blade that seems a bit of an oddity in the overall styling.

JayEmm is also on to something wrt the monthly cost - although you could argue that the Lotus is the better buy for running costs.  

Nice cars, i'd prefer a full fat GT430 - but that's because I'm an aero whore.