free hit
counters
Evora GT430 - Page 44 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Not wishing to fuel the debate but Pits you need to add in the gearbox into your assessment above, I think that's a fairly significant element.

i also wonder about the comparative 'engineering & design' quality and robustness of the two

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my new Evora GT 430 with special painting ( Gold Leaf) by hethel factory. The car is waiting for me at Komo Tec Germany. You can see the car this weekend in the KOMO-TEC Box in Nürburg /N

Thanks @Bibs and all.   What a feeling.  And it will be the only time in my life I am customer #1!   More pics and thoughts to follow.  But I can say this is a special car, very special. 

Posted Images

The debate is what we're here for. Fuel away! Gearshift quality is outstanding in the Evora now in my opinion. Obviously I haven't driven either cars yet but going on the last Evora Sport 410 and last Porsche manual there's very little in it. The Porsche's gearshift was stiffer but did feel strong. The Toyota gearbox has limited the Evora's torque but working within that torque limit I'm not sure of the pros and cons of the quality of the box itself providing the shift is good, which it is. There were no issues with the 410 on track. Never missed a gear, never heard a graunch. The proof's in the pudding when it comes to robustness. My Exige proved highly robust during my ownership. Some people's GT3s caught on fire. I wonder how much of this is perceived versus actual? Certainly don't think it's reasonable to assume the Evora will fall to bits and the GT3 will be faultless but of the two most would put money on the GT3 holding together better I grant you. Based on personal experience that few on Porsche forums can offer, I might expect some minor bits of trim to work their way loose over time which would be disappointing to say the least at this price level but would be appalled if something major failed on either car. A bad experience with a troublesome car that couldn't be quickly and permanently sorted would put me off any brand.

One sticking point is that it may be easier to get a GT3 in the future.  I don't see the point of Porsche offering a touring package on the GT3 if they are going to keep production at the same numbers.  Personally, I think the Touring Package is an indication that Porsche will increase production of the GT3.  Now to what level is anyone's guess.

GT4 wasn't limited and it didn't make much difference. Demand far outstripped supply, 918 owners given first dibs to make a fast buck, premiums charged waiting list games ensued. Same will apply to the 'touring' model. I'm happy to let them get on with it. GT430 would do me fine.

Lotus have managed to beat the power:weight of the gen 1 991 GT3. Evora GT430 comes in around 330bhp per ton. Both numbers are subject to debate about the actual weight figure used of course. Whatever else about the GT3 no-one would describe it as particularly light. Porsche have made no attempt to reduce weight for the gen 2 GT3 but the power increase puts it at 346bhp per ton. Still, 16bhp difference is a lot better than the on paper 70bhp deficiency. This of course will not make any difference to sales!

Lotus need a GT450 to match the gen 2 GT3 in a straight line, I won't disagree with anyone who thinks it should have at least 450bhp at the asking price. But unless the weight figure is pure fiction, the GT430 should be capable of dishing out some big surprises.

6 hours ago, The Pits said:

A bad experience with a troublesome car that couldn't be quickly and permanently sorted would put me off any brand.

And there is the rub. Lotus quickly need to upgrade the after sales support in the unfortunate event your car is off the road for what ever reason i.e. spares parts, technical support, back up field engineering etc. Unfortunately I think this is where they fall down badly, especially now that prices are heading north.

I was off the road for a month waiting for a clutch/fly wheel assembly on my V6S, however it didn't stop me buying another car from them :X but for other it just might.

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On 8/2/2017 at 19:48, blindside said:

I think Ti does sound slightly different to the stainless back box (which sounds fantastic). It has a hollower more metallic sound, with a little less bass than you get with steel. There is just as much noise at mid range and it sounds manic over 5k rpm. OK it limits track selection, but it's very nice to look at and listen to. :thumbup:

P1010383.JPG

P1010384.JPG

is there any official number concerning the exhaust db output of the GT430 ? 

• Like 1

Last I heard it was 109db, slightly louder than the steel silencer.

Quite a few videos of Exige Sport 380s on track are emerging, they are just as loud so all is not lost.

5 hours ago, The Pits said:

Last I heard it was 109db, slightly louder than the steel silencer.

Quite a few videos of Exige Sport 380s on track are emerging, they are just as loud so all is not lost.

Both the Evora 400 and Sport 380 were over 106 on driveby in the rain at Silverstone on Monday afternoon...

I was blackflagged!!! Strictly speaking twice, but the first time they wrongly accused a grey S1 Evora so I only officially got one warning and told to short-shift from then on. 

Silverstone is not 400 friendly it would appear...!

105db day? Might have to try the trick the locals use at Zolder (strictest place on noise I've ever been the Exige was sent home by lunchtime for 96db!). They short shift in the morning near the noise meters (they all know where they are) then let it rip in the afternoon.

It was 102dB drive-by so 106dB wasn't even close.  I was told the noise meters are mobile and regularly moved during the day, so short-shifting was required everywhere unfortunately. 

I understand that the 2tubluar track friendly exhaust drops the static measure to 104dB (not sure what this will translate to on the drive-by).  I will be introducing myself to Jim very shortly.  

You should be under 102 drive-by with a 104db static exhaust. If it's anything like the exhaust I tried in the Sport 410 then it's significantly quieter. Still sounds good but also significantly less amusing in tunnels. What we need is a proper adjustable system that can be run hard in quiet mode.

Agreed on the need for a new switchable exhaust.  I doubt anything like this will arrive in the short-term though.

For me, it does make the titanium exhaust on the 380, 410, 430 an option only if you aren't intending on doing any track days.  Unless you are prepared to also get a track friendly one and happy to swap them on a regular basis.

Your choices are restricted but as has been said before there are noisy days and you as long as it's possible to lap places Spa and the Nurburgring, all is not lost. Good opportunity for someone to do a bolt on baffle of some kind.

In other news - we now have 33% of the UK allocation of GT430 here on TLF. Now at least 3 UK members with deposits in.

:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, The Pits said:

You should be under 102 drive-by with a 104db static exhaust. If it's anything like the exhaust I tried in the Sport 410 then it's significantly quieter. Still sounds good but also significantly less amusing in tunnels. What we need is a proper adjustable system that can be run hard in quiet mode.

agree. we need an adjustable system.