free hit
counters
Evora GT430 - Page 79 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
KAS-118

Evora GT430

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Iconic Gulf colours, the 400 looked stunning in the same colour 

IMG_0043.JPG

Nope you could always get the Auto, just has to wait for correct certification first. This is the only RHD one 

1 minute ago, SFO said:

I thought GT430 with the huge wing at the back was manual only?

On 28/02/2018 at 16:49, Sizona said:

Military Grey Auto arriving soon! Just having a few things done to it, changing to black gloss buzzed wheels being one thing.

Collecting from Hoffmans Saturday, subject to the stupid snow!

IMG_1118.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1108.jpeg

That’s proper. Congrats!

I am a little behind the times but forced myself to buy April's EVO mag and have just read the GT430/GT3 comparison test.

Like most people I am (largely) pleasantly surprised at the tone of the article and somewhat mystified that a Lotus lost out to a Porsche on steering feel. Just a thought - given the huge (for a 'road' car) downforce generated by the GT430, is it possible that the reason for the front light/rear heavy balance that John Barker comments on is due to the downforce and would that in turn lead to his feeling that the steering was less communicative ie: the front feeling lighter and not generating the bite on entering corners?

Put another way, I wonder whether the GT430 Sport, with less downforce, would feel different in terms of front/rear balance and communication from the steering? We don't know what speeds Mr Barker was driving at round the particular bend (no more than 60 mph your honour) that he was playing on which seemed to lead to this comment and whether the conditions were such that generation of significant downforce was not even on the cards but, it would be interesting to hear the views of anyone who knows about these things and anyone who has driven both a GT430 and GT430 Sport.

One unrelated question - can someone tell me what the Lotus colour code is for the "Military Grey" which has been mentioned by several people on this thread? Thanks.

I don't believe downforce had much to do with it. The GT430 makes about 65kg of downforce at 100mph. Roughly the same as a slender passenger. Anyone who's driven an Evora with and without a passenger will tell you that the difference is very small to the point of being barely noticeable, so I don't believe this was a factor in the Evo test. I also don't believe Porsche's EPAS is now better than a universally praised, industry benchmark hydraulic system. I will need to drive it for myself rather than take the word of one journalist who is at odds with every other who has driven the GT430 to date. The EPAS in the 991.1 GT3 was probably the worst thing about the car. I haven't heard anyone else claim the new car's system is anything more than an incremental improvement.

The GT430 does gain weight with speed so needs to be set up for this and is much firmer than the Evora 400. It also has wider wheels and tyres, all of which can affect the steering. My own view was that the GT430 responds more quickly to steering inputs, it's a more responsive car but that this speed doesn't come at the expense of the steering quality which remains delightfully light and supremely precise. However, there is a feeling of 'not even trying' during normal road driving, as there was in my Exige V6 Cup. Some might say 'aloof'. The less track focused models do feel a bit more like they're trying at slower road speeds. It's also true of an Elise 220 versus a 250 Cup. I'm not sure how this relates to the Evo article as most would also consider the 991 GT3 to be a car with a performance envelope too large to be fully appreciated at legal road speeds.

Interesting - thanks Johnny. Just looking for logical reasons for Mr Barker's conclusions. I am only doing that because, unlike in many an EVO article, the 'non Porsche' actually won fair praise in comparison with the GT3 in some aspects of assessment.   

Incidentally, have members here read the EVO article on the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I was sent this and could scarcely believe what I was reading. The test drive was a short, non comparative session on snow (Sweden or similar) and the author made the obvious and fair point that evaluating the traction and acceleration etc. was not really possible given the environment but, even having said this, he then went on to say that he felt a 911 Turbo would have better traction etc. in those conditions. Unless evaluating cars back to back in the same conditions, how on earth can anyone make such a statement on an objective basis. That one sentence affirmed my decision to stop buying EVO. 

@hosscartwri I don't think it takes a massive leap of faith to assume an all wheel drive car will have better traction than a RWD, front-engined one. Seems fairly obvious, if reasonably irrelevant for most days in the UK bar the last week.

I also echo Jonny's point that the beauty of the Evora's steering is how the weight changes - I sometimes drive the car thinking the steering isn't so great, then once you push on a little bit and feel it change, you are reminded that it is constantly communicating - you just weren't trying hard!

Stunning car in a stunning colour.

Edited by Bravo73

James - rather proves my point - what relevance does the imagined potential behaviour on snow of a 4 wheel drive Porsche turbo, which wasn't even at the V8 Vantage 'test', have to a two wheel drive vehicle which was not being compared back to back? It was yet another gratuitous plug for Porsche in the middle of an EVO article which was supposed to be giving first impressions of a new vehicle being driven for the first time by this publication and under less that ideal conditions.

49 minutes ago, hosscartwri said:

James - rather proves my point - what relevance does the imagined potential behaviour on snow of a 4 wheel drive Porsche turbo, which wasn't even at the V8 Vantage 'test', have to a two wheel drive vehicle which was not being compared back to back? It was yet another gratuitous plug for Porsche in the middle of an EVO article which was supposed to be giving first impressions of a new vehicle being driven for the first time by this publication and under less that ideal conditions.

They have concluded similar before, when they did a two car test (Lotus plus something I don't recall) and summed up saying they would have chosen a Cayman, which was not tested :lol:

• Haha 1

Also, Evora vs GTR test (which, in itself was strange enough), a 911 won. 

Yes we had two at Silverstone last Monday. Trevor was following me and said he could hear the two cars going in and out of phase like a twin-engined prop plane!

Yep defo some harmonics going on, so much so I kept backing off to change the tone just in case we set the noise metre off at Brands :-)

the Titanium setup has a higher pitch IMO than the steel system and I’d say a DB or two quieter

we should have 4 on track later this year and expecting the full Lancaster experience followed by an appropriate sized black flag :-)

Trevor.

• Like 1