free hit
counters
Norfolk mustard S4 - Page 13 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Norfolk mustard S4

On a plus note, both fronts stripped, cleaned, REBOLTED!!!, re-greased using silicone grease and bled. They now have far more bite and pull up straight and true. Would have taken it out for a good blast today but a morning of Esprit pottering followed by a similarly sedate Ducati potter around sunny Derbyshire scotched that plan. 

First World problems eh!

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 4 weeks later...

Hoping to get a few hours on the Esprit in the coming days. Engine hoist sorted so it just the drive shafts, oil lines and we are about there. 

As an aside ive just popped a new head unit in the S2 Elan. Blaupunkt have started reproducing some of their classic ranges but with modern internals. Suits the Elan to a T. They also do 80s styled ones too which might favour the Esprit look.

This is my model. Its mechless so no CD drive but DAB and bluetooth streaming so perfect for what i need

200-Vale.jpg

The Bremen is very nice too.

R.jpg

Had a good few hours on the Esprit last night. The air con pump bolts are seized so after much swearing and cussing the fear of breaking off the collars was put to one side and we bit the bullet and undid the lines. Drivers side engine mount done. Passenger side, not so much. Massive breaker bar on the bolt succeeded in only breaking the 19mm spanner holding the nut underneath! 
doused to death in pen fluid and we go again tonight.has anyone got a trick for this bugger or is grunt the key?

Also need to get the PAS pump removed then it’s up and away. I will be changing the fluids so would anyone suggest disconnecting the lines or go with the whole pas pump? 

The hydraulic hose connections are not easy to get to, so I unbolt the PAS pump from its mount, and move it to one side before lifting. Presumably you’ve already removed Rubik’s heat shield, so the bolts should be accessible.

As for the engine mount bolt, I haven’t had that problem, because both of them were already loose when I did the first engine removal job!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Passenger side bolt on mine was seized solid into the mount itself. I had to cut the head off the engine mount bolt, lift the engine up and then remove the mount. I was able to get the remains out of the mount on the bench, but the mount disintegrated in the process to I had to replace it anyway.

PXL_20210130_134824075.jpg.b3b7250eacbb6f398af826a87ad9e20b.jpg

Luckily the new mounts are easily obtained and thankfully don't cost stupid money.

https://www.pnmparts.co.uk/esprit/esprit-s4-s4s-s300-gt3-93-99/esprit-s4-s4s-s300-gt3-93-99-e/lotus-engine-mounting-kit-6009

• Confused 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Just burst out laughing when I found the Allen headed bolt behind the pump pulley. Only Lotus could deem that the best option 

First impressions are a hell of a lot of oil sludge around the block and a grotty engine bay. Great news so far is that first views, albeit still in situ suggests the near side fuel tank has been replaced at some point and looks in really good Nick. Fingers crossed for the off side 👍

• Like 1

Managed to wind the nut off but the bolt had indeed welded itself into the mount. Put upward pressure on it with with a trolley Jack and plenty of lube and with some twist from above it eventually let go. 👍

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Is this a full engine rebuild, or just a fuel tank job?

Its a 'refresh' so whatever it needs. Minimum of disassembly and inspection, new clutch, tanks checked and replaced where necessary. New hoses and lines where needed etc.

12 hours ago, Clarky5150 said:

Its a 'refresh' so whatever it needs. Minimum of disassembly and inspection, new clutch, tanks checked and replaced where necessary. New hoses and lines where needed etc.

Should read as a minimum, not minimum. 

A nice steady evening tonight removing the ancillaries, bracketry and intake and throttle bodies.

The ultrasonic cleaner has been hard at it! 

Also started the shopping list. No fuel tanks on there...yet 🤞

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Booked in at a trusted engine builder in next few weeks as my job is proving a very demanding mistress of late giving me little time on the Esprit for a check over of valves, crank, end float and shells. If the clutch arrives in time I will drop that down too along with the flywheel and get everything balanced up. Stripped to bare block now and really pleased with the liners. They look brand new! 
The strainer had come away from the pickup so that will be lockwired on come rebuild time. Refreshed myself on Ian’s S4S rebuild which still makes for great reading and also the posts on flowing the plenum etc. turbo feels silky smooth but I think some fettling on it may make sense while all is apart. Turbo technics hybrid time I guess 👍

96931E5E-3197-4334-BE69-3E7D9C74ADC6.jpeg

• Like 1

Any suggestions where to send these and their second cousins for cleaning and flow testing please?

5374C79A-5B72-44AE-8857-A4B19C03DB82.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I bought a pair of those hoses from PNM when I did my tanks. Their hoses have what looks like an additional layer of overbraid on them.

https://www.pnmparts.co.uk/esprit/esprit-s4-s4s-s300-gt3-93-99/esprit-s4-s4s-s300-gt3-93-99-l/fuel-crossover-hose-4301

My old hoses looked perfectly fine outside and in (when I got them off) but for piece of mind it seemed a false economy not to do them. The old tanks had clearly been out for repairs before, so my hoses may have already been changed then which could explain their relatively good condition.

• Like 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)