free hit
counters
Evora IPS/auto going clunk at low speed - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
chylld

Evora IPS/auto going clunk at low speed

@chylld Out of interest have you had your MAF sensor connection checked and then zip tied so that there isn't a chance of it coming loose?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Got the car back. Only good news to report so far... car drove home perfectly fine. No sign of shift hesitation and I can't reproduce the clunk sound anymore by reversing a few metres and then going forward a few metres (which reproduced the clunk 100% of the time before.)

Will pay close attention to it tomorrow, but happy to say it's all looking good so far. After all the service manual does recommend changing trans oil every 7,500km/6 months for regularly tracked cars (as opposed to 58,000km/4 years otherwise.)

The dealer also checked the spark plugs but confirmed they were fine (as they should be, after only 8,000km).

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

@chylld Out of interest have you had your MAF sensor connection checked and then zip tied so that there isn't a chance of it coming loose?

Haven't had it checked explicitly, although it appears to be ziptied from the factory:

20171122_183325.jpg.5834cbdd0534b75a293318e60949a4be.jpg

• Like 1

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

great news B-) ! as I only do very few placid trackdays and 99% fast road use, I chose to change the oil on a 2 years/30,000 kms basis... By the way, I used full synthetic Motul ATF VI (Toyota WS compatible) for peace of mind. they made a recall on the thermostat and radiator's oil lines as well (but it may only concerns the IPS Exige, not the Evora) !

Happy days... after about 5 more drives the sound appears to be completedly gone. The shifts are noticeably smoother and faster too, although I did manage to confuse it once yesterday by jumping from the brake to the gas while it was mid-shift. Picked a gear within a second though, whereas before it sometimes hunted for what seemed like an eternity.

Going to change my gearbox oil more frequently now... at least every 5 trackdays or every year (along with engine oil), whichever comes soonest.

On 22/11/2017 at 19:12, French Frie said:

great news B-) ! as I only do very few placid trackdays and 99% fast road use, I chose to change the oil on a 2 years/30,000 kms basis... By the way, I used full synthetic Motul ATF VI (Toyota WS compatible) for peace of mind. they made a recall on the thermostat and radiator's oil lines as well (but it may only concerns the IPS Exige, not the Evora) !

Good info, another 2 products in the service manual:

• Toyota Genuine ATF WS Transmission oil (what I got)
  • Exxon Mobil JWS 3324 Transmission oil

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

7 hours ago, chylld said:

Going to change my gearbox oil more frequently now... at least every 5 trackdays or every year (along with engine oil), whichever comes soonest.

it seems wise :blush: ... The point with the oil I use is that it is a full high spec synthetic oil, and I do think (believe ?) it is a good thing to cope with high temps and hard use ... even if on recording history, mine has never gone above 120°C (but it's an hairdresser car) :P ! and I'm a big fan on Motul full synt products for a long, long time, so it's a no brainer option ...