free hit
counters
Options for passing emissions - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Options for passing emissions

Went for my first engineering inspection today and apparently my 89 Carb Turbo won't pass emissions for registration in Victoria, Australia :(

The engineer, a nice guy who was very knowledgeable, says putting on cats and going for the test probably wouldn't work - and that the test is around $2000 per pop!

My options are to drop in a US spec engine (fuel injected + cats), an SE engine, or to find the parts to convert my Carb to FI.

Has anyone gone down this path before for emissions or otherwise? Would love some pointers and recommendations.

Is it difficult to make a Carb turbo EFI with later parts?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean,

Give Steve Taylor a call at Lotus Marques (Boronia Heights) about it. I know he has helped people import non efi Esprits from the UK and get them ok'd so I think he may be able to assist.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I find it odd that your car may not be able to pass emissions when I see cars everyday that should not be on the road due to damage or exhaust blowing far more smoke than it should etc.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Depending on how much you use it, historic registration might be of use. You only need a roadworthy certificate, and be a member of a club. I am interested in this as I will probably be bringing back an S2 Elite in the future, so good to know of issues beforehand. Good luck with it.

Hi Clive,

Because my car is imported I'll need a VASS engineering certificate as part of my initial registration, even to go on club plates, which is what I intend to do anyway.

No luck unfortunately.

• 1 year later...

Hi Sean, out of interest, what did you have to do when importing your car to meet Australia's fairly stringent asbestos verification laws? how were you able to prove to customs that your esprit contained zero asbestos? in my reading of the requirements....they look insanely bureaucratic. and almost impossible to comply with. same for air con degas....did you need to do anything there?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why cats won't fix the issue. They are not expensive (here in the USA at least) and should clean up a majority of the bad stuff. There must also be a shop locally that can test the emissions for you in advance of the formal "test" for $2000. 

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo